Thunderbird - AVG antivirus - K9 spam filter

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by NoMoreMrNiceGuy, Feb 27, 2005.

  1. I am trying to configure these to work together. I had TB/K9 configured
    to work with NAV but can't get AVG to work with them. Couldn't find the
    answer in the TB support forums (but I have posted the same question in
    the stickied Upgrade thread). Can anyone shed some light on this
    situation? I'm sure many folks will benefit.

    Norm
     
    NoMoreMrNiceGuy, Feb 27, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. NoMoreMrNiceGuy

    ..brian.. Guest

    NoMoreMrNiceGuy wrote:
    > I am trying to configure these to work together. I had TB/K9

    configured
    > to work with NAV but can't get AVG to work with them. Couldn't find

    the
    > answer in the TB support forums (but I have posted the same question

    in
    > the stickied Upgrade thread). Can anyone shed some light on this
    > situation? I'm sure many folks will benefit.
    >
    > Norm


    I can not confirm this, but after searching Google for 1-2 minutes I
    found that you need to re-run AVG setup; select Add/Remove Components
    (or something worded similar); check Email Scanning and Resident
    Shield; on the next screen select Advanced Configuration instead of
    Eudora; uncheck the Eudora Plugin and check Personal Email Scanner;
    finish the install.

    And if those instructions don't work, try these: "when installing AVG,
    select the option Custom installation (not Standard). When the E-mail
    scanning box appear, select Advanced configuration (not Microsoft
    Outlook-recommended. Then select Personal Email Scanner ( and another
    if you like)."

    Lastly, you can try the Grisoft website:
    [http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_ts_wiz_mozilla.php]

    Hopefully the above instructions will point you in the right direction
    even if they aren't 100% correct.

    And hopefully there is an option for removing the stupid signature that
    AVG tags all outbound emails and newsgroup posts with -- it's
    ridiculous that it tells people it has "certified" a plain text
    newsgroup message as "virus free".
    --
    Brian
    Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224
    Firefox/1.0.1
     
    ..brian.., Feb 27, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. NoMoreMrNiceGuy

    Jeff D'Aoust Guest

    ...brian.. wrote:
    > NoMoreMrNiceGuy wrote:
    >
    >>I am trying to configure these to work together. I had TB/K9

    >
    > configured
    >
    >>to work with NAV but can't get AVG to work with them. Couldn't find

    >
    > the
    >
    >>answer in the TB support forums (but I have posted the same question

    >
    > in
    >
    >>the stickied Upgrade thread). Can anyone shed some light on this
    >>situation? I'm sure many folks will benefit.
    >>
    >>Norm

    >
    >
    > I can not confirm this, but after searching Google for 1-2 minutes I
    > found that you need to re-run AVG setup; select Add/Remove Components
    > (or something worded similar); check Email Scanning and Resident
    > Shield; on the next screen select Advanced Configuration instead of
    > Eudora; uncheck the Eudora Plugin and check Personal Email Scanner;
    > finish the install.
    >
    > And if those instructions don't work, try these: "when installing AVG,
    > select the option Custom installation (not Standard). When the E-mail
    > scanning box appear, select Advanced configuration (not Microsoft
    > Outlook-recommended. Then select Personal Email Scanner ( and another
    > if you like)."
    >
    > Lastly, you can try the Grisoft website:
    > [http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_ts_wiz_mozilla.php]
    >
    > Hopefully the above instructions will point you in the right direction
    > even if they aren't 100% correct.
    >
    > And hopefully there is an option for removing the stupid signature that
    > AVG tags all outbound emails and newsgroup posts with -- it's
    > ridiculous that it tells people it has "certified" a plain text
    > newsgroup message as "virus free".
    > --
    > Brian
    > Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224
    > Firefox/1.0.1
    >

    From the AVG Control Center, double-click on the "Email Scanner" and then make sure the "Personal Email Scanner" plugin is selected.

    That same window contains a "Configure" button that opens another window where in the "Email Scanning" pane you can de-select "Certify incoming mail" and "Certify outgoing mail". I use both AVG and SpamPal with TB and it's a great combination for making sure I stay virus-free and junk mail finds its way into the "Junk" folder.
     
    Jeff D'Aoust, Feb 27, 2005
    #3
  4. Jeff D'Aoust wrote:
    > ..brian.. wrote:
    >
    >> NoMoreMrNiceGuy wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to configure these to work together. I had TB/K9

    >>
    >>
    >> configured
    >>
    >>> to work with NAV but can't get AVG to work with them. Couldn't find

    >>
    >>
    >> the
    >>
    >>> answer in the TB support forums (but I have posted the same question

    >>
    >>
    >> in
    >>
    >>> the stickied Upgrade thread). Can anyone shed some light on this
    >>> situation? I'm sure many folks will benefit.
    >>>
    >>> Norm

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> I can not confirm this, but after searching Google for 1-2 minutes I
    >> found that you need to re-run AVG setup; select Add/Remove Components
    >> (or something worded similar); check Email Scanning and Resident
    >> Shield; on the next screen select Advanced Configuration instead of
    >> Eudora; uncheck the Eudora Plugin and check Personal Email Scanner;
    >> finish the install.
    >>
    >> And if those instructions don't work, try these: "when installing AVG,
    >> select the option Custom installation (not Standard). When the E-mail
    >> scanning box appear, select Advanced configuration (not Microsoft
    >> Outlook-recommended. Then select Personal Email Scanner ( and another
    >> if you like)."
    >>
    >> Lastly, you can try the Grisoft website:
    >> [http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_ts_wiz_mozilla.php]
    >>
    >> Hopefully the above instructions will point you in the right direction
    >> even if they aren't 100% correct.
    >>
    >> And hopefully there is an option for removing the stupid signature that
    >> AVG tags all outbound emails and newsgroup posts with -- it's
    >> ridiculous that it tells people it has "certified" a plain text
    >> newsgroup message as "virus free".
    >> --
    >> Brian
    >> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.7.6) Gecko/20050224
    >> Firefox/1.0.1
    >>

    > From the AVG Control Center, double-click on the "Email Scanner" and
    > then make sure the "Personal Email Scanner" plugin is selected.
    >
    > That same window contains a "Configure" button that opens another window
    > where in the "Email Scanning" pane you can de-select "Certify incoming
    > mail" and "Certify outgoing mail". I use both AVG and SpamPal with TB
    > and it's a great combination for making sure I stay virus-free and junk
    > mail finds its way into the "Junk" folder.


    I don't have any problem getting AVG to work with TB. My problem is
    getting TB, AVG and K9 to work together. Right now I have AVG and TB
    working fine. But chaining the 3 together is a real pain. I found some
    useful info in the K9 and AVG forums and I am still tinkering with my
    configuration.

    And you can turn off the AVG certification notice.

    Norm
     
    NoMoreMrNiceGuy, Feb 27, 2005
    #4
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stefano
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    4,431
    Moz Champion
    Feb 9, 2005
  2. Jeff Evans
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    658
    Moz Champion
    Apr 1, 2005
  3. David Ellis

    Thunderbird Spam Filter

    David Ellis, Feb 18, 2006, in forum: Firefox
    Replies:
    10
    Views:
    1,259
    John Thompson
    Feb 25, 2006
  4. C A Preston

    Spam-Spam and more Spam

    C A Preston, Apr 12, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    633
    Hywel
    Apr 12, 2004
  5. Clwddncr
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    722
    Dave - Dave.net.nz
    Feb 7, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page