    them.This is not a troll question,I'm being for real here.Thanks for your
    help.
    Will

    W.Henry, Mar 5, 2006

  2. W.Henry

    Vanguard Guest

    "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Ok, I've Mozilla Thunderbird and my email properties are all working .I
    > went
    > and subscribed to the newsgroups but where in the hell or how do I access
    > them.This is not a troll question,I'm being for real here.Thanks for your
    > help.

    adelphia.net doesn't provide its users with newsgroups? Did you ask them?
    They have web pages describing their newsgroups and even noting there is a
    5GB/month bandwidth quota, so they provide newsgroups.

    Vanguard, Mar 5, 2006

  3. W.Henry wrote:

    > Ok, I've Mozilla Thunderbird and my email properties are all working .

    Ok, that's a good start.

    > I went and subscribed to the newsgroups

    So you went to Accounts, chose to create a News account, entered your
    news-server name, and got a list of thousands of groups, right? Then you
    picked some and subscribed to them?

    > but where in the hell or how do I access them.

    In the left pane, below Local Folders, isn't there an expandable
    "address" using the word you picked for the name of the news account?
    Open it up.

    > This is not a troll question,I'm being for real here.Thanks for your
    > help.

    Please use a space character after commas and periods. Thanks.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2006
  4. W.Henry

    Mitch Guest

    In article <440a73d7$0$9162$>, Vanguard
    <> wrote:

    > adelphia.net doesn't provide its users with newsgroups? Did you ask them?
    > They have web pages describing their newsgroups and even noting there is a
    > 5GB/month bandwidth quota, so they provide newsgroups.

    That an ISP has a limit doesn't really mean they are supporting
    newsgroup software and music piracy. It isn't that information which
    shows us that his ISP offers newsgroups -- it's that sentence where he
    said he set up newsgroups and subscribed to some.

    Mitch, Mar 5, 2006
  5. W.Henry

    W.Henry Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in message
    : "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    : news:...
    : > Ok, I've Mozilla Thunderbird and my email properties are all working .I
    : > went
    : > and subscribed to the newsgroups but where in the hell or how do I
    access
    : > them.This is not a troll question,I'm being for real here.Thanks for
    your
    : > help.
    :
    :
    : adelphia.net doesn't provide its users with newsgroups? Did you ask them?
    : They have web pages describing their newsgroups and even noting there is a
    : 5GB/month bandwidth quota, so they provide newsgroups.
    :

    No,perhaps I wasn't being clear enough in my question.I have the
    newsgroups,just wanna know where the function tab or what ever it's called
    in thunderbird to be able to get to the newsgroups.I already went to edit
    and then subscribe.It allowed me to subscribe to whatever groups I want,I
    just don't see anything in Thunderbird to get to them.Am I doing something
    wrong? I don't get it...

    : --
    : __________________________________________________
    : Post replies to the newsgroup. Share with others.
    : For e-mail: Remove "NIX" and add "#VN" to Subject.
    : __________________________________________________
    :
    : *** Free account sponsored by SecureIX.com ***
    : *** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
    http://www.SecureIX.com ***

    W.Henry, Mar 5, 2006
  6. W.Henry

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <440a73d7$0$9162$>, Vanguard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> adelphia.net doesn't provide its users with newsgroups? Did you ask
    >> them?
    >> They have web pages describing their newsgroups and even noting there is
    >> 5GB/month bandwidth quota, so they provide newsgroups.

    > That an ISP has a limit doesn't really mean they are supporting
    > newsgroup software and music piracy. It isn't that information which
    > shows us that his ISP offers newsgroups -- it's that sentence where he
    > said he set up newsgroups and subscribed to some.

    Please explain how you can have a limit on something that you don't have.
    If there is a quota on bandwidth for newsgroups then the ISP must have a
    newsgroups service. It doesn't matter if it is their own NNTP server or
    they contract it out the service, say to Giganews. My ISP provides
    newsgroups service but doesn't have an NNTP server and instead contracts
    with Giganews to provide a limited quota (just 2GB/month) just for that
    ISP's customers. Even though Giganews is providing the service, I would
    have to pay $8/month to get the 2GB/month quota if I subscribed directly to
    Giganews. Instead that allowance is included in my ISP's account for the
    contracted service. *Lots* of ISPs contract out the NNTP service.

    Normally, "subscribe" is the action within the NNTP client to select a
    newsgroup to include in a list of "subscribed newsgroups". Yet the OP says
    he cannot access them. So another possibility is that there is some
    separate sign-up or subscribe process to get an account to use with whatever
    NNTP service the OP is using but the OP can't figure out how to use an NNTP
    client, like Thunderbird. I wasn't about to waste my time regurgitating
    what the help *should* include on telling users how to use an NNTP client.
    There are mozilla newsgroups for that (mozilla.support.thunderbird,
    netscape.public.mozilla.mailnews).

    Vanguard, Mar 5, 2006
  7. W.Henry wrote:

    > No,perhaps I wasn't being clear enough in my question.I have the
    > newsgroups,just wanna know where the function tab or what ever it's
    > called in thunderbird to be able to get to the newsgroups.I already
    > went to edit and then subscribe.It allowed me to subscribe to
    > whatever groups I want,I just don't see anything in Thunderbird to
    > get to them.Am I doing something wrong? I don't get it...

    So did you do as I suggested earlier? Did you find the "folder" for
    your Adelphia subscribed groups in the left pane, below "Local Folders?"
    It will have whatever name you assigned to it. Did you click on the Plus
    sign to expand it?

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2006
  8. W.Henry

    W.Henry Guest

    : W.Henry wrote:
    :
    : > No,perhaps I wasn't being clear enough in my question.I have the
    : > newsgroups,just wanna know where the function tab or what ever it's
    : > called in thunderbird to be able to get to the newsgroups.I already
    : > went to edit and then subscribe.It allowed me to subscribe to
    : > whatever groups I want,I just don't see anything in Thunderbird to
    : > get to them.Am I doing something wrong? I don't get it...
    :
    : So did you do as I suggested earlier? Did you find the "folder" for
    : your Adelphia subscribed groups in the left pane, below "Local Folders?"

    Can't find it.Does Thunderbird have a seperate newsgroup entity or something
    I was supposed to download?

    W.Henry, Mar 5, 2006
  9. W.Henry wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote
    >: So did you do as I suggested earlier? Did you find the "folder" for
    >: your Adelphia subscribed groups in the left pane, below "Local
    >: Folders?"
    >
    > Can't find it.Does Thunderbird have a seperate newsgroup entity or
    > something I was supposed to download?

    No, there is nothing else to download.

    If you see no account name in the left pane that would be your news
    server, then you have somehow botched the creation of the account. At
    this point, you should go back to Accounts, scroll down looking at
    whatever you have installed, and see if there is a news account there.

    If not, begin again.

    Tools > Account settings...
    Add Account
    Select: (·) Newsgroup account
    Proceed with setup => Next
    Your name W. Henry
    Your email lid <-- munged so you don't get spam
    Next:
    Newsgroup server whatever.adelphia.wants.here
    Next:
    Account name Adelphia News
    Finish
    Close the dialog

    Now, go to File > Subscribe
    The new account should be showing in the top box.
    Click Refresh and wait while list is updated
    Show items that contain: [24hour ]
    This group should be there; click Subscribe
    Close dialog
    Look in main left pane for: Adelphia News
    Click the Plus sign. see:
    Adelphia News
    24hoursupport.helpdesk

    If you can't get it from here, you may have some incorrect server names
    or other simple error.

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Mar 5, 2006
  10. W.Henry

    Mitch Guest

    In article <440aeae0$0$24335$>, Vanguard
    <> wrote:

    > Please explain how you can have a limit on something that you don't have.
    > If there is a quota on bandwidth for newsgroups then the ISP must have a
    > newsgroups service.

    The ISP has a quota; no one said it was a quota on newsgroups.
    (There's hardly any reason to pretend newsgroups are the only thing
    measured. Some of those limits are about streaming media and Web media
    streams, FTP, Web hosting, etc.)
    On the other hand, the OP was clear that he had it, it was set up, and
    in what program. he just asked how to open the message lists.

    Mitch, Mar 5, 2006
  11. W.Henry

    Vanguard Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > In article <440aeae0$0$24335$>, Vanguard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Please explain how you can have a limit on something that you don't have.
    >> If there is a quota on bandwidth for newsgroups then the ISP must have a
    >> newsgroups service.

    > The ISP has a quota; no one said it was a quota on newsgroups.

    The ISP *does* say they have a quota on newsgroups, and that's what I
    mentioned. See
    http://www.adelphiapowerpage.com/synacor/faqs/Newsgroup_Faqs.cfm#12.

    > (There's hardly any reason to pretend newsgroups are the only thing
    > measured. Some of those limits are about streaming media and Web media
    > streams, FTP, Web hosting, etc.)

    I didn't say the ISP was measuring quotas only for newsgroups. I said their
    ISP had a quota on *newsgroups* and that means their ISP does provide
    newsgroups access. You can't have a quota on a service that doesn't exist.
    The ISP probably does have *other* quotas, but they also have one on
    newsgroups bandwidth.

    I see upon further clarification from the OP that "subscribe" did not refer
    to getting the service (registering, signing up, or subscribing to it) but
    instead the inability to find within the program of how to list the groups.
    Looks like the OP hasn't even bothered to define a news account in their
    client because no "folder" or tree node is shown for the news account.
    Presumably the OP was told the NNTP server names during the signup process.
    Adelphia doesn't list their NNTP servers in their FAQ web page so the OP
    will have to call their own ISP to ask what they are.

    Vanguard, Mar 6, 2006
  12. W.Henry

    Top Guest

    "Vanguard" <> wrote in

    > "W.Henry" <> wrote in message
    >> Ok, I've Mozilla Thunderbird and my email properties are all working
    >> .I went
    >> and subscribed to the newsgroups but where in the hell or how do I
    >> access them.This is not a troll question,I'm being for real
    >> here.Thanks for your help.

    > adelphia.net doesn't provide its users with newsgroups? Did you ask
    > them? They have web pages describing their newsgroups and even noting
    > there is a 5GB/month bandwidth quota, so they provide newsgroups.

    Left hand column, it's with the email accounts. Most likely at the
    bottom. Click on the server name and I think you'll see your NGs, click
    on the one you want to start with.

    Top

    --
    If it walks like a duck ... you know the rest.
    I keep hitting escape but I'm still here !@#$@#$% !

    Top, Mar 6, 2006
  13. W.Henry

    Plato Guest

    W.Henry wrote:

    > Ok, I've Mozilla Thunderbird and my email properties are all working .I went
    > and subscribed to the newsgroups but where in the hell or how do I access
    > them.This is not a troll question,I'm being for real here.Thanks for your

    What newsgroup service have you subscribed to?

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 7, 2006