    I installaed it today but i cannot see how it is possible.
    Has anyone something to explain?
    Thanks
    Roberto, Aug 24, 2004

  2. Roberto

    Huw Roberts Guest

    Roberto wrote:

    > Can be Emoticons used with Thunderbird?
    > I installaed it today but i cannot see how it is possible.
    > Has anyone something to explain?
    > Thanks

    I see emoticons with TB and I didn't do a thing to enable them. Do you
    see a smiley after this sentence? :)

    Huw
    Huw Roberts, Aug 24, 2004

  3. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    Yes i see it.
    How did you do it?

    Roberto, Aug 24, 2004
  4. Roberto

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Huw Roberts wrote:
    >>I see emoticons with TB and I didn't do a thing to enable them. Do
    >>you see a smiley after this sentence? :)

    and Roberto responded:
    > Yes i see it.
    > How did you do it?

    Go to Tools | Options | Display, untick "Display emoticons as graphics",
    then look at Huw's post again. You'll see what Huw actually typed.

    When the option is ticked, TB interprets standard ASCII emoticons and
    displays them as images. Personally I can't stand it, disabling that
    facility was one of the first things I did when I started using TB.

    Danny Colyer, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    Yes, tested as you explained.
    Anyway, in order to write an emoticon into a message i must to remember the
    complete set of ASCII characters.
    Do to the fact, the number of emoticons is very large, i think is nor simple
    neither possible to remember all or a part of them.
    I thought should be better to have a graphical interface or a bar with
    emoticons to choose when needed.
    Are you agree?
    Roberto

    Roberto, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Roberto

    Huw Roberts Guest

    Roberto wrote:

    > Yes, tested as you explained.
    > Anyway, in order to write an emoticon into a message i must to remember the
    > complete set of ASCII characters.
    > Do to the fact, the number of emoticons is very large, i think is nor simple
    > neither possible to remember all or a part of them.
    > I thought should be better to have a graphical interface or a bar with
    > emoticons to choose when needed.
    > Are you agree?
    > Roberto

    Yes, if you care that much about emoticons I suppose it would be nice.

    I don't think I know anyone who uses a mail client that interprets ASCII
    as emoticons anyway though; do many of them do it? I get the feeling
    Incredimail probably does, heh.

    Huw
    Huw Roberts, Aug 24, 2004
  7. Roberto

    Roberto Guest

    You are very kind.
    Thanks Huw and Danny for your support.
    Roberto

    Roberto, Aug 24, 2004
  8. Roberto

    Huw Roberts Guest

    Roberto wrote:

    > You are very kind.
    > Thanks Huw and Danny for your support.
    > Roberto

    No problem. Enjoy your new toy! :)

    Huw
    Huw Roberts, Aug 25, 2004
  9. Roberto

    Nobody Guest

    I'm sorry, I just cannot resist!

    (_o_)

    Nobody, Aug 25, 2004
  10. Roberto

    Brian Guest

    Roberto wrote:

    > Yes, tested as you explained.
    > Anyway, in order to write an emoticon into a message i must to remember
    > the complete set of ASCII characters.
    > Do to the fact, the number of emoticons is very large, i think is nor
    > simple neither possible to remember all or a part of them.
    > I thought should be better to have a graphical interface or a bar with
    > emoticons to choose when needed.
    > Are you agree?

    I believe the only emoticons I ever use are:

    :)
    :-(
    :-\
    ;-)

    Isn't there a bar for emoticons? I guess it's only when composing an email
    message? I don't have a newer version of Mozilla on this computer or I
    would look ;-)

    --
    Brian
    Brian, Aug 25, 2004
  11. Roberto wrote:

    > Yes, tested as you explained.
    > Anyway, in order to write an emoticon into a message i must to remember the
    > complete set of ASCII characters.

    In mail compose there's a :) button to press but it's not there for News
    because all the other controls on that toolbar aren't needed.
    Phillip Bryant, Aug 25, 2004
  12. Roberto

    Moz Champion Guest

    Phillip Bryant wrote:

    > Roberto wrote:
    >
    >> Yes, tested as you explained.
    >> Anyway, in order to write an emoticon into a message i must to
    >> remember the
    >> complete set of ASCII characters.

    > In mail compose there's a :) button to press but it's not there for News
    > because all the other controls on that toolbar aren't needed.

    Be aware that emoticons as graphics are ONLY available if you use the
    HTML composer option.

    Compose in HTML, insert the emoticons using the menu, send in plain
    text. For people reading it in a emoticon enabled program (Mozilla
    Thunderbird Netscape 7 and others) they will still see the emoticon.

    Emoticons are simply slight of hand. When the program 'sees' a
    colon and end bracket for example it shows
    :)
    as a smiley, altho all thats really sent is a colon and a end bracket

    just like
    http://this.is.not.a.site/but.looks.like.one is not a link but it
    will show as a link when you read this
    or
    mailto: is not a real email address but it will
    look and act like one when you read this

    slight of hand.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004
  13. Roberto

    mike555 Guest

    "Roberto" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Can be Emoticons used with Thunderbird?
    > I installaed it today but i cannot see how it is possible.
    > Has anyone something to explain?
    > Thanks

    ==== if you are writing HTML mail to someone you can just insert a "
    Image"
    (the button on the right , by the smiley button , in the composer) and
    direct it to your collection of smiley .gif's .........
    if you are sending plain text you could use the built-in ones ,
    by clicking on the smiley button (on the right , in the composer ) and
    they will send plain smileys to people who only receive plain text
    ............============
    mike555, Aug 26, 2004
  14. Roberto

    Moz Champion Guest

    mike555 wrote:

    > "Roberto" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Can be Emoticons used with Thunderbird?
    >>I installaed it today but i cannot see how it is possible.
    >>Has anyone something to explain?
    >>Thanks

    > ==== if you are writing HTML mail to someone you can just insert a "
    > Image"
    > (the button on the right , by the smiley button , in the composer) and
    > direct it to your collection of smiley .gif's .........
    > if you are sending plain text you could use the built-in ones ,
    > by clicking on the smiley button (on the right , in the composer ) and
    > they will send plain smileys to people who only receive plain text

    You can use the HTML Editor regardless
    It will insert the Smiley for you, but all it really does is enter the
    plain text equivelent anyway.
    Compose in HTML, use the Smiley menu, send in plain text.

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Aug 26, 2004