    up with spam and causes problems.

    I told her I didn't think a total block on messages was possible with
    OE but it might be with Thunderbird or Outlook.

    History Fan, Apr 24, 2007

  2. History Fan

    bassbag Guest

    In article <4b1d7$462e712b$48311160$>,
    says...
    > Does Thunderbird 2.0 have the ability to (temporarily) block all
    > emails? I've got a relative going on a trip for a few days, and she
    > wondered if it would be possible to block all emails while she is gone using
    > Outlook Express 6. If she doesn't check her inbox for several days, it fill
    > up with spam and causes problems.
    >
    > I told her I didn't think a total block on messages was possible with
    > OE but it might be with Thunderbird or Outlook.

    Cant your relative just go into tools>options>general and untick "send
    and recieve messages at startup" and also "check for new messages
    every..."
    The same can be done in thunderbird
    me

    bassbag, Apr 24, 2007

  3. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    "bassbag" <> wrote in message
    > In article <4b1d7$462e712b$48311160$>,
    > says...
    >> Does Thunderbird 2.0 have the ability to (temporarily) block all
    >> emails? I've got a relative going on a trip for a few days, and she
    >> wondered if it would be possible to block all emails while she is gone
    >> using
    >> Outlook Express 6. If she doesn't check her inbox for several days, it
    >> fill
    >> up with spam and causes problems.
    >>
    >> I told her I didn't think a total block on messages was possible
    >> with
    >> OE but it might be with Thunderbird or Outlook.
    >>

    > Cant your relative just go into tools>options>general and untick "send
    > and recieve messages at startup" and also "check for new messages
    > every..."
    > The same can be done in thunderbird
    > me

    Yes, that could be done. But the email will still keep coming,
    residing in her ISP's servers. As soon as she turns her Outlook Express
    back on, all that email will still arrive, clogging her system. I suppose
    she could try narrowing down her email via webmail, which her ISP allows.

    History Fan, Apr 25, 2007
  4. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    I was hoping Thunderbird or some other email program might have a
    feature that would actually 'turn back' an email. So when an email is sent,
    it would be blocked and returned to the sender, with a message saying the
    recipient cannot currently receive mail. I know this can be done with
    Instant Messaging.

    History Fan, Apr 25, 2007
  5. History Fan

    Miller Guest

    *History Fan* wrote on 25.04.07 13:19:
    > I was hoping Thunderbird or some other email program might have a
    > feature that would actually 'turn back' an email. So when an email is sent,
    > it would be blocked and returned to the sender, with a message saying the
    > recipient cannot currently receive mail. I know this can be done with
    > Instant Messaging.

    No normal mailclient like Thunderbird or OutlookExpress can
    block, return or autorespond. This must be done by the server
    not the client.

    cu, Miller

    Miller, Apr 25, 2007
  6. History Fan

    Danny Colyer Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > Does Thunderbird 2.0 have the ability to (temporarily) block all
    > emails? I've got a relative going on a trip for a few days, and she
    > wondered if it would be possible to block all emails while she is gone using
    > Outlook Express 6. If she doesn't check her inbox for several days, it fill
    > up with spam and causes problems.

    A lot of e-mail providers allow users to log in using webmail and set
    rules such as blackholing an address or setting up an "out of office"
    reply. Has your friend checked whether her provider offers this facility?

    "Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.
    Daddy, why did you put that down?" - Charlie Colyer, age 2

    Danny Colyer, Apr 25, 2007
  7. History Fan

    SteveG Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    > Does Thunderbird 2.0 have the ability to (temporarily) block all
    > emails? I've got a relative going on a trip for a few days, and she
    > wondered if it would be possible to block all emails while she is gone using
    > Outlook Express 6. If she doesn't check her inbox for several days, it fill
    > up with spam and causes problems.
    >
    > I told her I didn't think a total block on messages was possible with
    > OE but it might be with Thunderbird or Outlook.

    I don't think either TB or OE can do what you want. You might try using
    Mailwasher (there is a free version) which has the ability to
    auto-delete spam messages (from your ISP's server before they ever reach
    your computer) based on their classification by Spamcop. Of course,
    there is always the risk that it will also inadvertently delete some
    legitimate emails too.

    I use Mailwasher all the time ans seldom see more than a handful of spam
    emails per day but my ISP reports hundreds per week for my main email
    address alone. Mailwasher can be downloaded from www.firetrust.com

    It is not a good idea to respond to spam messages with an out-of-office
    message (or anything similar) as it simply confirms that your email
    address is both legitimate and active - making it an ideal candidate for
    hijacking.

    HTH

    --
    Regards