    Oh one other thing please and Ill be happy. How do I sent Thunderbird
    to check for messages on its own every 1\2 hour or so
    Nikki

    Nikki, Feb 23, 2005

  2. Nikki wrote:
    > Just installed it
    > Having trouble with my address book and writing a letter when I click on
    > the icon where the email address is suppose to go my address book does
    > not open I have to start typing the address If I can remember it. Does
    > it not work like Outlook express. also same thing when make up a
    > mailing list it seems the only option to get the address you want is to
    > type them in you cant or I cant click on the file folder and have the
    > address book open up
    > Is there a way to change this
    > Oh one other thing please and Ill be happy. How do I sent Thunderbird
    > to check for messages on its own every 1\2 hour or so
    > Nikki

    Its a mistake to go into a new program with the expectation that it will
    behave exactly like another similar program. If TB behaved exactly like
    OE in all respects, we would all be using OE.

    There are three ways to accomplish your goal. One you have already
    discovered. If you have organized your address book y the name of the
    person, just start typing it. For example, I open a Compose window and
    type deb, I get two addressbook options for two Deborah's I have in the
    book. No real need to remember the address, just the name will do.

    Another is to open the addressbook directly from the toolbar button.
    Right click on the entry for your intended recipient, and choose Write.
    You get a Compose window with the address already filed in.

    A third is to click Write, then, in the Compose window, click Contacts.
    This opens the addressbook as a sidebar in the Compose window, from
    which you can select recipients.

    As for the second question:

    Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings

    Check the box for Check for messages every x minutes, and select your
    desired interval. Note that Thunderbird must be running in order for it
    to check.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 23, 2005

  3. Nikki

    Nikki Guest

    Thanks again Leonidas
    I have another question for you or anyone
    I know how to create a message rule
    e.g. I want to send some of the people in my address book to one folder
    and some from the same address book to another folder is the only way to
    do it to have a hard copy of the people in your address book. It would
    be nice if you could get your address book to open at the same time your
    creating the rule so you could pick the ones you wanted.
    Is there no way to do this
    Thanks again
    Nikki

    Nikki, Feb 23, 2005
  4. Nikki wrote:
    > Thanks again Leonidas
    > I have another question for you or anyone
    > I know how to create a message rule
    > e.g. I want to send some of the people in my address book to one folder
    > and some from the same address book to another folder is the only way to
    > do it to have a hard copy of the people in your address book. It would
    > be nice if you could get your address book to open at the same time your
    > creating the rule so you could pick the ones you wanted.
    > Is there no way to do this
    > Thanks again
    > Nikki
    >

    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Nikki wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just installed it
    >>> Having trouble with my address book and writing a letter when I click
    >>> on the icon where the email address is suppose to go my address book
    >>> does not open I have to start typing the address If I can remember
    >>> it. Does it not work like Outlook express. also same thing when
    >>> make up a mailing list it seems the only option to get the address
    >>> you want is to type them in you cant or I cant click on the file
    >>> folder and have the address book open up
    >>> Is there a way to change this
    >>> Oh one other thing please and Ill be happy. How do I sent
    >>> Thunderbird to check for messages on its own every 1\2 hour or so
    >>> Nikki

    >> Its a mistake to go into a new program with the expectation that it
    >> will behave exactly like another similar program. If TB behaved
    >> exactly like OE in all respects, we would all be using OE.
    >>
    >> There are three ways to accomplish your goal. One you have already
    >> discovered. If you have organized your address book y the name of
    >> the person, just start typing it. For example, I open a Compose
    >> window and type deb, I get two addressbook options for two Deborah's I
    >> have in the book. No real need to remember the address, just the name
    >> will do.
    >>
    >> Another is to open the addressbook directly from the toolbar button.
    >> Right click on the entry for your intended recipient, and choose
    >> Write. You get a Compose window with the address already filed in.
    >>
    >> A third is to click Write, then, in the Compose window, click
    >> Contacts. This opens the addressbook as a sidebar in the Compose
    >> window, from which you can select recipients.
    >>
    >> As for the second question:
    >>
    >> Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings
    >>
    >> Check the box for Check for messages every x minutes, and select your
    >> desired interval. Note that Thunderbird must be running in order for
    >> it to check.
    >>
    >> Lee

    Most folks in this group bottom post. If we agree to all post the same
    way, it will make the discussion much easier to follow.

    CLick Addressbook in the Ztoolbar, to open the addressbook. Then
    Tools>>Message Filters. You can then arrange the Addressbook window to
    be visible, even when the Message Filter creation box has focus.

    I have them side by side right nbow, and could easily refer to the
    addressbook when creating filters.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 23, 2005
  5. Nikki

    Nikki Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Nikki wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks again Leonidas
    >> I have another question for you or anyone
    >> I know how to create a message rule
    >> e.g. I want to send some of the people in my address book to one
    >> folder and some from the same address book to another folder is the
    >> only way to do it to have a hard copy of the people in your address
    >> book. It would be nice if you could get your address book to open at
    >> the same time your creating the rule so you could pick the ones you
    >> wanted.
    >> Is there no way to do this
    >> Thanks again
    >> Nikki

    >>> Its a mistake to go into a new program with the expectation that it
    >>> will behave exactly like another similar program. If TB behaved
    >>> exactly like OE in all respects, we would all be using OE.
    >>>
    >>> There are three ways to accomplish your goal. One you have already
    >>> discovered. If you have organized your address book y the name of
    >>> the person, just start typing it. For example, I open a Compose
    >>> window and type deb, I get two addressbook options for two Deborah's
    >>> I have in the book. No real need to remember the address, just the
    >>> name will do.
    >>>
    >>> Another is to open the addressbook directly from the toolbar button.
    >>> Right click on the entry for your intended recipient, and choose
    >>> Write. You get a Compose window with the address already filed in.
    >>>
    >>> A third is to click Write, then, in the Compose window, click
    >>> Contacts. This opens the addressbook as a sidebar in the Compose
    >>> window, from which you can select recipients.
    >>>
    >>> As for the second question:
    >>>
    >>> Tools>>Account Settings>>(account in question)>>Server Settings
    >>>
    >>> Check the box for Check for messages every x minutes, and select your
    >>> desired interval. Note that Thunderbird must be running in order for
    >>> it to check.
    >>>
    >>> Lee

    > Most folks in this group bottom post. If we agree to all post the same
    > way, it will make the discussion much easier to follow.
    >
    > CLick Addressbook in the Ztoolbar, to open the addressbook. Then
    > Tools>>Message Filters. You can then arrange the Addressbook window to
    > be visible, even when the Message Filter creation box has focus.
    >
    > I have them side by side right nbow, and could easily refer to the
    > addressbook when creating filters.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks again
    I know Thunderbird is not Outlook Express but It did have alot of
    features that were easy to use. I'm sure I will get just as comfortable
    with Thunderbird
    Thanks Nikki

    Nikki, Feb 24, 2005
  6. Nikki wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >> Nikki wrote:
    >>
    >>> Thanks again Leonidas
    >>> I have another question for you or anyone
    >>> I know how to create a message rule
    >>> e.g. I want to send some of the people in my address book to one
    >>> folder and some from the same address book to another folder is the
    >>> only way to do it to have a hard copy of the people in your address
    >>> book. It would be nice if you could get your address book to open at
    >>> the same time your creating the rule so you could pick the ones you
    >>> wanted.
    >>> Is there no way to do this
    >>> Thanks again
    >>> Nikki

    >> Most folks in this group bottom post. If we agree to all post the
    >> same way, it will make the discussion much easier to follow.
    >>
    >> CLick Addressbook in the Ztoolbar, to open the addressbook. Then
    >> Tools>>Message Filters. You can then arrange the Addressbook window
    >> to be visible, even when the Message Filter creation box has focus.
    >>
    >> I have them side by side right nbow, and could easily refer to the
    >> addressbook when creating filters.
    >>
    >> Lee

    > Thanks again
    > I know Thunderbird is not Outlook Express but It did have alot of
    > features that were easy to use. I'm sure I will get just as comfortable
    > with Thunderbird
    > Thanks Nikki

    When I switched from OE to Moz, I had the advantage?.., of hating the
    way OE worked. Moz, and now TB was my dream email program, things
    worked the way I wanted them to.

    I remember though, switching from Word to Open Office. At first, it was
    tough. Oo_O can do pretty much everthing Word can do, a lot of better,
    but things just weren't where I was expecting them to be. Now that I've
    made the adaptation, I wouldn't go back.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 24, 2005
  7. Nikki

    ..brian.. Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Nikki wrote:

    the

    address

    open at

    you

    If I

    same

    get

    click on

    so

    it

    already

    of

    Deborah's

    the

    button.

    in.

    Compose

    > >> Most folks in this group bottom post. If we agree to all post the

    > >> same way, it will make the discussion much easier to follow.
    > >>
    > >> CLick Addressbook in the Ztoolbar, to open the addressbook. Then
    > >> Tools>>Message Filters. You can then arrange the Addressbook

    window
    > >> to be visible, even when the Message Filter creation box has

    focus.

    > >> I have them side by side right nbow, and could easily refer to the

    > >> addressbook when creating filters.
    > >>
    > >> Lee

    > > Thanks again
    > > I know Thunderbird is not Outlook Express but It did have alot of
    > > features that were easy to use. I'm sure I will get just as

    comfortable
    > > with Thunderbird
    > > Thanks Nikki

    > When I switched from OE to Moz, I had the advantage?.., of hating the

    > way OE worked. Moz, and now TB was my dream email program, things
    > worked the way I wanted them to.
    >
    > I remember though, switching from Word to Open Office. At first, it

    was
    > tough. Oo_O can do pretty much everthing Word can do, a lot of

    better,
    > but things just weren't where I was expecting them to be. Now that

    I've
    > made the adaptation, I wouldn't go back.
    >
    > Lee

    I also *hated* OE, and had no problem switching over to Moz and then
    TB. However, I started using Outlook 2003 a while back and love using
    it for email. I hated Outlook in the past, but this version is quite
    impressive; it's a huge improvement from the previous 200x and XP
    version. I go through phases though, and switch from one email client
    to the next on a regular basis. I'll end up using TB again before
    long.

    I think Oo_O is a great program, and think it's cool they released a
    Windows version. When using Linux I don't mind using Oo_O, but under
    Windows I just stick with Office 2003 since I received a copy and
    license from M$ through a program at work, otherwise I'd always be
    using Oo_O for my Office like needs. $499 is entirely too much money
    for me to spend on a product that I rarely *need* to use.
    --
    Brian

    ..brian.., Feb 24, 2005
  8. ...brian.. wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>Nikki wrote:

    > the

    > address

    > open at

    > you

    > If I

    > same

    > get

    > click on

    > so

    > it

    > already

    > of

    > Deborah's

    > the

    > button.

    > in.

    > Compose

    > window

    > focus.

    >>>Thanks again
    >>>I know Thunderbird is not Outlook Express but It did have alot of
    >>>features that were easy to use. I'm sure I will get just as

    > comfortable
    >
    >>>with Thunderbird
    >>>Thanks Nikki

    >>When I switched from OE to Moz, I had the advantage?.., of hating the

    >>way OE worked. Moz, and now TB was my dream email program, things
    >>worked the way I wanted them to.
    >>
    >>I remember though, switching from Word to Open Office. At first, it

    > was
    >
    >>tough. Oo_O can do pretty much everthing Word can do, a lot of

    > better,
    >
    >>but things just weren't where I was expecting them to be. Now that

    > I've
    >
    >>made the adaptation, I wouldn't go back.
    >>
    >>Lee

    > I also *hated* OE, and had no problem switching over to Moz and then
    > TB. However, I started using Outlook 2003 a while back and love using
    > it for email. I hated Outlook in the past, but this version is quite
    > impressive; it's a huge improvement from the previous 200x and XP
    > version. I go through phases though, and switch from one email client
    > to the next on a regular basis. I'll end up using TB again before
    > long.
    >
    > I think Oo_O is a great program, and think it's cool they released a
    > Windows version. When using Linux I don't mind using Oo_O, but under
    > Windows I just stick with Office 2003 since I received a copy and
    > license from M$ through a program at work, otherwise I'd always be
    > using Oo_O for my Office like needs. $499 is entirely too much money
    > for me to spend on a product that I rarely *need* to use.

    Note Open Office is cross platform, and runs on Mac OSX as well

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 24, 2005