    etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain from the old
    install?

    Newfdog

    Newfdog, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Newfdog

    gwtc Guest

    Newfdog wrote:

    > Hi all..... I understand that it is wise to uninstall a previous version
    > of Thunderbird before installing the newer version. Does this mean that
    > I will have to go through the configuration process, setting up accounts
    > etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain from the old
    > install?
    >
    > Newfdog

    all your settings, prefs, passwords, mail, etc are stored in an area
    called your profile. Your profile directory is separate from the
    program directory. When you uninstall the program, you're only
    removing the program, not the profile.

    You can either uninstall or install over top. Either way, its your
    choice.

    gwtc, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Newfdog

    Newfdog Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > Newfdog wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all..... I understand that it is wise to uninstall a previous
    >> version of Thunderbird before installing the newer version. Does this
    >> mean that I will have to go through the configuration process, setting
    >> up accounts etc., all over again or will my settings somehow remain
    >> from the old install?
    >>
    >> Newfdog

    > all your settings, prefs, passwords, mail, etc are stored in an area
    > called your profile. Your profile directory is separate from the
    > program directory. When you uninstall the program, you're only removing
    > the program, not the profile.
    >
    > You can either uninstall or install over top. Either way, its your choice.

    Thanks.. I installed over top and everything is fine.

    Newfdog

    Newfdog, Jan 18, 2006
  4. Newfdog

    Jim Guest

    Thunderbird 1.5 preferable to 1.06 because ??

    Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
    now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
    upgrading?

    Onc concern:
    This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
    site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
    linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
    junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
    Netscape release?

    Jim

    Jim, Feb 18, 2006
  5. Newfdog

    gwtc Guest

    Re: Thunderbird 1.5 preferable to 1.06 because ??

    Jim wrote:
    > Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
    > now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
    > upgrading?
    >
    > Onc concern:
    > This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
    > site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
    > linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
    > junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
    > Netscape release?
    >
    > Jim

    The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
    Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
    worry about that, its all part of the same group.

    where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
    release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

    gwtc, Feb 18, 2006
  6. Newfdog

    Jim Guest

    Re: Thunderbird 1.5 preferable to 1.06 because ??

    On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
    <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:

    >Jim wrote:
    >> Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
    >> now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
    >> upgrading?
    >>
    >> Onc concern:
    >> This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
    >> site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
    >> linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
    >> junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
    >> Netscape release?
    >>
    >> Jim
    >>

    >The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
    >Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
    >worry about that, its all part of the same group.
    >
    >where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
    >release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

    The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
    mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
    xxxxx.netscape.com

    When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

    Jim, Feb 19, 2006
  7. Newfdog

    SteveG Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
    > <TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:
    >
    >> Jim wrote:
    >>> Been running TBird 1.06 problem free for a long time, but I see 1.5 is
    >>> now available. Are there major advantages or disadvantages to
    >>> upgrading?
    >>>
    >>> Onc concern:
    >>> This may be nothing new but I noticed Thunderbird 1.5 downloads from a
    >>> site URL ending in netscape.com. Also, that the download page is
    >>> linked from mozilla.com rather than mozilla.org. Is there any
    >>> junkware or advertising associated with this version - is it now a
    >>> Netscape release?
    >>>
    >>> Jim
    >>>

    >> The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
    >> Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
    >> worry about that, its all part of the same group.
    >>
    >> where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
    >> release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

    > The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
    > mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
    > xxxxx.netscape.com
    >
    > When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

    I would guess that these are mirror sites - they have the same file to
    download but help to share the bandwidth at times of high usage.

    --
    Regards

    Steve G

    SteveG, Feb 19, 2006
  8. Newfdog

    SteveG wrote:

    > Jim wrote:
    >
    >>On Sat, 18 Feb 2006 15:22:57 -0800, gwtc
    >><TheNewGWTC-64-110-101-116-115-99-97-112-101-46-110-101-116> wrote:

    >>>The Mozilla Foundation recently incorporated and they call that
    >>>Mozilla.com, and they look after Thunderbird and Firefox. So don't
    >>>worry about that, its all part of the same group.
    >>>
    >>>where are you getting the netscape.com from? No its not a Netscape
    >>>release. Netscape has nothing to do with Mozilla anymore.

    >> The first time I downloaded it from the download link in the
    >>mozilla.com page, the d/l came from an ftp site:
    >> xxxxx.netscape.com
    >>
    >>When I tried again (and again), it went to totally different sites.

    > I would guess that these are mirror sites - they have the same file to
    > download but help to share the bandwidth at times of high usage.

    it probably is

    gwtc, Feb 19, 2006