    clicked at.

    Is that a bug or did i someting wrong.

    best regards, rob
    Robert Wegner, Aug 4, 2006

  2. Robert Wegner wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i configured the Junk Mail Controls on all my accounts including the
    > local folders.
    > Sometimes if Junkmails arrive, the are moved correctly to the
    > Trash-folder (as i want it).
    > So far so good.
    > But sometimes Junkmails arrive, then they are being automatically moved
    > by the message-filters
    > to a local folder and the folder is marked as 'has new messages'.
    > When i click on that folder to see the mails they are marked as junk and
    > being moved to trash.
    >
    > So it seems, somtimes the junkmail-filter is applied after they are
    > clicked at.
    >
    > Is that a bug or did i someting wrong.
    >
    > best regards, rob

    Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
    with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

    Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it doesnt
    move junk or spam along with the good stuff

    It is recommended that you DONT move spam directly to trash, a temporary
    holding area (such as the 'Junk' folder) is much better, enabling you to
    vet what JMC catches to ensure it IS all junk
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 4, 2006

  3. Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
    > with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

    oh it does work. But the action (move to trash e.g.) for junkmails
    are not applied, before i click on the folder the mail was moved to.

    > Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it doesnt
    > move junk or spam along with the good stuff

    How do i do that? There's no option "if status=junk" in the filters.
    Neither seems TB set the junk status in the header so that i could
    create a custom header-filter.

    cu, rob
    Robert Wegner, Aug 4, 2006
  4. Robert Wegner wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    >> Junk Mail Controls only work in inboxes. IF you are moving a message
    >> with a filter, it will NOT be considered by JMC.

    > oh it does work. But the action (move to trash e.g.) for junkmails
    > are not applied, before i click on the folder the mail was moved to.
    >

    >> Simple fix, dont filter junk mail! Refine your filter so that it
    >> doesnt move junk or spam along with the good stuff

    > How do i do that? There's no option "if status=junk" in the filters.
    > Neither seems TB set the junk status in the header so that i could
    > create a custom header-filter.
    >
    > cu, rob

    If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.

    No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam, since
    filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a 'Junk'
    header anyway.
    If a filter is picking up good AND bad emails, then it isnt much of a
    filter at all.

    Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
    would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 4, 2006
  5. Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    > If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
    >

    > No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam, since
    > filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a 'Junk'
    > header anyway.

    look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
    wrong.
    Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g. "Work").
    When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
    marked
    as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.

    The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
    the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
    can not
    help me with that.

    > Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
    > would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

    What kind of question is that?
    Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
    letters and papers on one pile? ;)

    cu, rob
    Robert Wegner, Aug 4, 2006
  6. Robert Wegner

    gwtc Guest

    Robert Wegner wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    >> If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
    >>

    >> No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam,
    >> since filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a
    >> 'Junk' header anyway.

    > look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
    > wrong.
    > Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g.
    > "Work").
    > When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
    > marked
    > as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.
    >
    > The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
    > the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
    > can not
    > help me with that.
    >

    >> Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
    >> would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

    > What kind of question is that?
    > Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
    > letters and papers on one pile? ;)
    >
    > cu, rob

    Message Filters are acted upon first. Once Message Filters have been
    applied, then no other filter is applied. If there is no filter for
    that specific message, then the junk filter is applied.

    --
    Maxims for the Internet Age: You can't teach a new mouse old clicks.
    gwtc, Aug 4, 2006
  7. Robert Wegner wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >

    >> If you move a message with a filter, then it is exempt from JMC checking.
    >>

    >> No, you add elements to the filter so that it DOESNT pick up spam,
    >> since filters are applied BEFORE JMC sees the message, it wont have a
    >> 'Junk' header anyway.

    > look, i appreciate your help, but what you keep insisting on is simply
    > wrong.
    > Mails arrive, they are being moved by a filter to the folders (e.g.
    > "Work").
    > When i select e.g. the folder "work", some of the mails beiing instantly
    > marked
    > as junk (correctly) and are moved to the junk folder.
    >
    > The only thing i wanna know, is why they are only being moved when i select
    > the folder and not before, when they arrive. But i'm a little afraid you
    > can not
    > help me with that.
    >

    >> Why are you moving messages in the first place, if you didnt, then JMC
    >> would catch them, perhaps you should rethink your filter strategy

    > What kind of question is that?
    > Why do people use folders and such things, instead of throwing all
    > letters and papers on one pile? ;)
    >
    > cu, rob

    Well if you are going to throw all the stuff in a pile, then you should
    expect to get junk in there.

    imho, the entire idea of a filter is to FILTER things so that only what
    you want gets acted on. Otherwise, why filter it to move in the first
    place? Leave it right where it was, and Junk Mail Controls will get the
    spam for you.

    i.e. Your inbox gets everything that is sent to it - good, bad or
    indifferent. Why make an effort to move it all to some place else? Leave
    it where it is, and just move the good stuff. Write a filter that ONLY
    catches the good stuff
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Aug 5, 2006