Thunderbird 1.0 RC1

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Chris Mayhew, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 4, 2004

  2. Chris Mayhew

    steve Guest

    steve, Dec 4, 2004

  3. Chris Mayhew

    -=rjh=- Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >

    >>is out. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=175062 is a
    >>thread covering it (urls etc) if anyone is interested.

    > Thanks!
    >
    > Well worth a look.

    I initially thought so, too, and in general it works fine but my
    installation has 2 issues.

    If I "mark all articles read" in nz.comp on the orcon.news.net.nz TB
    fails and generates an error report. The same ng on the trial server is
    fine, all other ngs I've tried are fine. I'm sure that just resetting my
    newsgroups would fix this, but it still shouldn't happen.

    If I view an expired article, and click the "remove all expired articles
    in this group" link, TB opens a duplicate window in the same state as
    the first. Doesn't remove the expired articles, either.

    Anybody else having similar issues on Windows? 0.9 never misbehaved this
    badly, no matter how out of shape the newsgroups got.

    My feeling from using TB for the past few months is that it seems a bit
    flaky (unlike FireFox, which has been rock solid for me) and I have
    trouble believing the first 1.0 release will be next week.

    Not a gripe - I expect TB to have problems and I do give feedback to the
    developers - but I'd be interested to hear of other people's problems,
    if there are any.

    cheers
    -=rjh=-, Dec 4, 2004
  4. Chris Mayhew

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    -=rjh=- wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >>

    >>> is out. http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=175062 is a
    >>> thread covering it (urls etc) if anyone is interested.

    >> Thanks!
    >> Well worth a look.

    > I initially thought so, too, and in general it works fine but my
    > installation has 2 issues.
    >
    > If I "mark all articles read" in nz.comp on the orcon.news.net.nz TB
    > fails and generates an error report. The same ng on the trial server is
    > fine, all other ngs I've tried are fine. I'm sure that just resetting my
    > newsgroups would fix this, but it still shouldn't happen.
    >
    > If I view an expired article, and click the "remove all expired articles
    > in this group" link, TB opens a duplicate window in the same state as
    > the first. Doesn't remove the expired articles, either.
    >
    > Anybody else having similar issues on Windows? 0.9 never misbehaved this
    > badly, no matter how out of shape the newsgroups got.
    >
    > My feeling from using TB for the past few months is that it seems a bit
    > flaky (unlike FireFox, which has been rock solid for me) and I have
    > trouble believing the first 1.0 release will be next week.
    >
    > Not a gripe - I expect TB to have problems and I do give feedback to the
    > developers - but I'd be interested to hear of other people's problems,
    > if there are any.
    >
    > cheers

    I have had a couple of problems - one was using a "minimise to tray"
    extension which crashed TB and generated an error report the other was
    getting the thread plane settings to stick. I solved this by doing a
    fresh install and setting up a new profile and importing the mail boxes.
    There was some threads about this in the forums. I use to use Pegasus
    which was a work of art but just didn't display HTML email very well, of
    which I seem to be getting an increasing amount of as well as 30 line
    sig files with no "-- " on the first line, but I digress..

    Chris Mayhew, Dec 4, 2004
  5. Chris Mayhew

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 09:56:12 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Anybody else having similar issues on Windows? 0.9 never misbehaved this
    >badly, no matter how out of shape the newsgroups got.
    >
    >My feeling from using TB for the past few months is that it seems a bit
    >flaky (unlike FireFox, which has been rock solid for me) and I have
    >trouble believing the first 1.0 release will be next week.
    >
    >Not a gripe - I expect TB to have problems and I do give feedback to the
    >developers - but I'd be interested to hear of other people's problems,
    >if there are any.

    FF 1.0 is a lost worse than FF 0.9 in my experience. What is it with
    Mozilla and first releases?

    FF has been fine apart from the glitches I've already noticed, but it
    failed this morning with the old "<insert application name" has
    encountered errors and must close..." Windows error.

    Cheers,

    Cliff
    --

    These twin-CPU hyperthreading computers are really
    great! We can wait ten to a hundred times faster
    Enkidu, Dec 5, 2004