Thunderbird 1.0.next?

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 5, 2005.

  1. Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
    public use soon?

    dj tuchler
     
    Dennis J. Tuchler, Jul 5, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    > Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
    > public use soon?
    >
    > dj tuchler



    Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.

    Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
    encouraged to stay with 1.0.2

    What's New For Testing in Alpha 1


    * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
    and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
    Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
    * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
    * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
    * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
    subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
    * Re-designed Options Dialog
    * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
    accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
    configure an SMTP server for each identity.
    * An Improved Spell Check Engine
    * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
    * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
    hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
    * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
    autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
    * Offline Improvements
    * Ability to have global inbox filters
    * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
    * TLS Support for POP3
    * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
    * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
    views or search/filter on flagged messages).
    * Many bug fixes and other improvements.
     
    Moz Champion, Jul 5, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Moz Champion Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:
    > Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >
    >> Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
    >> public use soon?
    >>
    >> dj tuchler

    >
    >
    >
    > Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
    >
    > Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    > Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
    > encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
    >
    > What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
    >
    >
    > * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
    > and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
    > Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
    > * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
    > * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
    > * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
    > subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
    > * Re-designed Options Dialog
    > * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
    > accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
    > configure an SMTP server for each identity.
    > * An Improved Spell Check Engine
    > * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
    > * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
    > hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
    > * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during autocomplete
    > if you are using LDAP.
    > * Offline Improvements
    > * Ability to have global inbox filters
    > * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
    > * TLS Support for POP3
    > * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
    > * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
    > views or search/filter on flagged messages).
    > * Many bug fixes and other improvements.


    Erratta:

    Thunderbird 1.0.2 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.

    Erratta:

    I apologize for the inconvenience
     
    Moz Champion, Jul 5, 2005
    #3
  4. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Adelaide Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
    >
    > Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    > Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
    > encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
    >
    > What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
    >
    >
    > * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
    > and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
    > Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
    > * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
    > * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
    > * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
    > subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
    > * Re-designed Options Dialog
    > * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
    > accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
    > configure an SMTP server for each identity.
    > * An Improved Spell Check Engine
    > * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
    > * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
    > hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
    > * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
    > autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
    > * Offline Improvements
    > * Ability to have global inbox filters
    > * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
    > * TLS Support for POP3
    > * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
    > * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
    > views or search/filter on flagged messages).
    > * Many bug fixes and other improvements.


    Will it be ready tomorrow? ;-)

    Seriously guys, just wanted to say thanks for the great job you are
    doing..not only with the programs but also the ever-patient and tolerant
    support you give users here. As a new and avid convert from IE I was a
    little leery of the Help situation but this is my first stop. And I have
    no unsolved problems to my knowledge!
    I love the whole idea of how you *work*, and I am in awe of you all! I
    *do* spread the word. <s>

    Adelaide
     
    Adelaide, Jul 6, 2005
    #4
  5. On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >...
    >* Many bug fixes and other improvements.


    Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    time to TBird.
    --
    schrodinger's cat
     
    schrodinger's cat, Jul 7, 2005
    #5
  6. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Moz Champion Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >>...
    >>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

    >
    >
    > Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    > delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    > ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    > sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    > time to TBird.



    Please do not snip or edit post thankyou
    it makes it quite difficult for me to respond berefit of what has been
    said previously.
    Even tho I wrote (according to the attribution) those lines, remembering
    exactly what I wrote and why is difficult since I reply to multiple
    dozens of messages on any given day

    There are extensions for message filters that can react more eloquontly
    to headers, and give you multiple sig capability as well. Whether 'on
    server' features will be added I have no information on such

    Multiple signatures can be added by using the extension
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=118 Tagzilla

    Extending filter actions can be added by
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1910 TB New Filters
    and
    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=382 Mnenhy
     
    Moz Champion, Jul 7, 2005
    #6
  7. On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 16:16:47 GMT Moz Champion
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion <> wrote:


    >>Dennis J. Tuchler wrote:
    >>> Is there likely to be a new stage in the development of Thunderbird for
    >>> public use soon?

    >>
    >> >dj tuchler

    >
    >
    >Thunderbird 1.0.1 is the current release version, I suggest you upgrade.
    >
    >Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >Note. the alpha will contain bugs, user looking for a stable version are
    >encouraged to stay with 1.0.2
    >
    >What's New For Testing in Alpha 1
    >
    >
    > * Phishing Detector --> Examines the contents of an e-mail message
    >and warns you with a status bar along the top of the message if
    >Thunderbird thinks this message is a phishing attack.
    > * Spell As You Type for Mail Compose. (Enabled by Default)
    > * Support for deleting and stripping attachments from e-mail.
    > * Improved RSS Support --> Including podcasting, a new feed
    >subscription UI, OPML import (export will be added in Alpha 2)
    > * Re-designed Options Dialog
    > * Improved UI under Account Settings for managing multiple SMTP
    >accounts. If you have an account with multiple identities, you can even
    >configure an SMTP server for each identity.
    > * An Improved Spell Check Engine
    > * Auto Save As Draft for mail composition.
    > * Advanced hackers now have direct access to about:config for pref
    >hacking (Tools / Options / Advanced / Config Editor)
    > * Mailing lists in the address book now use LDAP during
    >autocomplete if you are using LDAP.
    > * Offline Improvements
    > * Ability to have global inbox filters
    > * Ability to copy local folders to imap servers
    > * TLS Support for POP3
    > * Support for Network timeouts for IMAP, POP3 and SMTP
    > * Search and Filter Improvements (including the ability to create
    >views or search/filter on flagged messages).
    > * Many bug fixes and other improvements.


    >schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >> On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >>>...
    >>>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

    >>
    >>
    >> Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    >> delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    >> ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    >> sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    >> time to TBird.

    >
    >
    >Please do not snip or edit post thankyou
    >it makes it quite difficult for me to respond berefit of what has been
    >said previously.
    >Even tho I wrote (according to the attribution) those lines, remembering
    >exactly what I wrote and why is difficult since I reply to multiple
    >dozens of messages on any given day


    I beg your pardon. I am accustomed to following the long established
    and preferred usenet protocol of trimming quoted material of
    extraneous or irrelevant verbiage when posting a reply. Since nothing
    in your previous post was germane to my inquiry, and since my question
    was quite clear on its own, I did not feel that re-stating the 40+
    lines was useful. However, I will try to remember your preference
    should I respond to one of your posts in the future. Meanwhile, please
    note that I have re-pasted your original message above for your
    convenience.

    >There are extensions for message filters that can react more eloquontly
    >to headers, and give you multiple sig capability as well. Whether 'on
    >server' features will be added I have no information on such
    >
    >Multiple signatures can be added by using the extension
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=118 Tagzilla
    >
    >Extending filter actions can be added by
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1910 TB New Filters
    >and
    >http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=382 Mnenhy


    If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
    single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as
    several other extensions, such as "Signature" or "Signature-Switch"
    (which I currently use). As far as header filters are concerned, I
    have not found a way to devise a filter, even using extensions, which
    allows for manipulation of messages on the POP server. Although
    deletion of messages from the server is obviously built in to
    Thunderbird, since there are optional account settings to accomplish
    this under certain triggers, it is not possible for individual
    messages, as it is in Eudora for example. Oh well, perhaps someone
    will write an extension which will incorporate this useful ability. In
    the meantime, I can utilize third party tools such as Pop Peeper.
    --
    schrodinger's cat
     
    schrodinger's cat, Jul 11, 2005
    #7
  8. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Ed Mullen Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:


    >
    > If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
    > single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as


    Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.


    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
     
    Ed Mullen, Jul 11, 2005
    #8
  9. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0400 Ed Mullen <> wrote:

    >schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >
    >
    >>
    >> If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
    >> single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as

    >
    >Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.


    Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that.
    --
    schrodinger's cat
     
    schrodinger's cat, Jul 11, 2005
    #9
  10. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Ed Mullen Guest

    schrodinger's cat wrote:

    > On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0400 Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >>>If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
    >>>single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as

    >>
    >>Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.

    >
    >
    > Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that.


    Happy to help. Following my sig (ending with
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html) is a multi-line tag inserted by
    Tagzilla.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
     
    Ed Mullen, Jul 11, 2005
    #10
  11. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 11:49:44 -0400 Ed Mullen <> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>> schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> If I remember correctly, Tagzilla only offers the ability to append a
    >>>> single line of text, thus it is not as useful for adding signatures as
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Tagzilla /can/ append multiple lines of text.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Thanks for the info - I didn't realize that.

    >
    >
    > Happy to help. Following my sig (ending with
    > http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html) is a multi-line tag inserted by
    > Tagzilla.
    >


    Ooops! Try again, Ed!

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for
    further developments. - Roman engineer Julius Sextus Frontinus, A.D. 10.
    Everything that can be invented has been invented. - Charles H. Duell,
    Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
    All the easy stuff's already been invented. - my brother-in-law, PhD. in
    physics, 1988
     
    Ed Mullen, Jul 11, 2005
    #11
  12. schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >>...
    >>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

    >
    >
    > Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    > delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    > ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    > sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    > time to TBird.


    That sounds about like you want to throw away advertising letters from
    your home-mailbox while they are still at the post office. You'll need
    the postoffice for that. In the case of email: your (webmailaccount with
    your) ISP.

    --
    Vriendelijke groet,
    Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen
    *-------------------------------------------------------------*
    Wie mijn raad volgt, doet zulks geheel op eigen risico!
    Reactie op usenetpostjes in de groep. Email zie ik niet.
    *-------------------------------------------------------------*
     
    Jan van Aalderen, Jul 25, 2005
    #12
  13. Dennis J. Tuchler

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>, reply-in-group-
    says...
    > schrodinger's cat wrote:
    > > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >
    > >>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    > >>...
    > >>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.

    > >
    > >
    > > Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    > > delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    > > ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    > > sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    > > time to TBird.

    >
    > That sounds about like you want to throw away advertising letters from
    > your home-mailbox while they are still at the post office. You'll need
    > the postoffice for that. In the case of email: your (webmailaccount with
    > your) ISP.


    Not necessarily, at least if I'm understanding the original question
    correctly. Pegasus Mail allows you to view headers and (I believe)
    messages on the POP server and delete them there without having to
    download them to your local mailbox.

    I prefer TBird to Pegasus, but I also use a separate app (Magic Mail
    Monitor) in order to manipulate mail directly on the POP server - after
    I've deleted all the spam and other unwanted mail, then I download
    what's left using TBird. It would be nice if this feature were built
    into a future release of TBird.

    Dave
     
    Dave Garrett, Jul 25, 2005
    #13
  14. On Sun, 24 Jul 2005 21:23:17 -0500 Dave Garrett <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>, reply-in-group-
    > says...
    >> schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >> > On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    >> > <> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >> >>...
    >> >>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.
    >> >
    >> >
    >> > Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    >> > delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    >> > ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    >> > sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    >> > time to TBird.

    >>
    >> That sounds about like you want to throw away advertising letters from
    >> your home-mailbox while they are still at the post office. You'll need
    >> the postoffice for that. In the case of email: your (webmailaccount with
    >> your) ISP.

    >
    >Not necessarily, at least if I'm understanding the original question
    >correctly. Pegasus Mail allows you to view headers and (I believe)
    >messages on the POP server and delete them there without having to
    >download them to your local mailbox.
    >
    >I prefer TBird to Pegasus, but I also use a separate app (Magic Mail
    >Monitor) in order to manipulate mail directly on the POP server - after
    >I've deleted all the spam and other unwanted mail, then I download
    >what's left using TBird. It would be nice if this feature were built
    >into a future release of TBird.
    >
    >Dave


    You are exactly correct, Dave. This function is also built in to Eudora
    and some other mail clients, as well as a number of third party tools
    such as Magic Mail Monitor and Pop Peeper (which I use). In fact,
    Thunderbird can also apparently already delete messages from the POP
    server, since there is an option in Tbird to do this when mail is moved
    out of the Inbox, a much less useful feature IMO. It should be
    relatively easy to expand this capability to allow one to selectively
    delete individual messages from the server. If I knew anything about
    writing extensions I would try to do it that way.
    --
    schrodinger's cat
     
    schrodinger's cat, Jul 25, 2005
    #14
  15. Dave Garrett wrote:
    > In article <>, reply-in-group-
    > says...
    >
    >>schrodinger's cat wrote:
    >>
    >>>On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 18:48:19 GMT Moz Champion
    >>><> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>Thunderbird 1.1 is currently in the alpha release stage
    >>>>...
    >>>>* Many bug fixes and other improvements.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>Nice list of improvements. Do you happen to know if the ability to
    >>>delete individual messages and/or headers from the POP server will be
    >>>ever be implemented? That (as well as the lack of support for multiple
    >>>sigs, but I can work around that) is what has kept me from moving full
    >>>time to TBird.

    >>
    >>That sounds about like you want to throw away advertising letters from
    >>your home-mailbox while they are still at the post office. You'll need
    >>the postoffice for that. In the case of email: your (webmailaccount with
    >>your) ISP.

    >
    >
    > Not necessarily, at least if I'm understanding the original question
    > correctly. Pegasus Mail allows you to view headers and (I believe)
    > messages on the POP server and delete them there without having to
    > download them to your local mailbox.


    Hm. I don't know why I wrote that. You are right, of course, in that you
    can delete mail without downloading the complete mail. But to see a
    preview, you must download at least what you can see in the preview.
    Since in TB the preview contains the entire message, and the mail is
    delivered when previewed, as far as the server is concerned, there is no
    practical difference between opening and previewing.

    The only way around that within TB that I can think of, is creating a
    special preview-account, identical to the normal one, in which the box
    to leave mail on the server is ticked. That is, *if* TB allows two
    internally identical accounts.

    In fact, I use several programs that can preview mail without marking it
    on the server:
    - Mailwasher
    - ePrompter
    Especially the latter comes in handy to keep an eye on the number of
    messages waiting to be delivered of up to 16 different accounts, by
    means of a looping counter in the systray. If - as has happened several
    times - impossibly large numbers occur, I can go around TB to take a
    look via webmail or telnet, and maybe do a prePOPpurge on the server
    before downloading.

    > I prefer TBird to Pegasus, but I also use a separate app (Magic Mail
    > Monitor) in order to manipulate mail directly on the POP server - after
    > I've deleted all the spam and other unwanted mail, then I download
    > what's left using TBird. It would be nice if this feature were built
    > into a future release of TBird.


    Another nice proggie. However, I'll stick to ePrompter, since I hardly
    use it for anything but the counters. I don't like having messages
    downloaded automagically, nor being interrupted by beeps and so on
    whenever messages are arriving that await delivery. For messages that
    require quick response, there are other applics than email: icq, msn,
    grouper, skype, gizmo, fax, voicemail. Email I react upon within a day
    or so rather than within minutes.

    >
    > Dave
    >



    --
    Vriendelijke groet,
    Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen
    *-------------------------------------------------------------*
    Wie mijn raad volgt, doet zulks geheel op eigen risico!
    Reactie op usenetpostjes in de groep. Email zie ik niet.
    *-------------------------------------------------------------*
     
    Jan van Aalderen, Jul 25, 2005
    #15
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mapmaker
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    1,063
    Leonidas Jones
    Mar 5, 2005
  2. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    2,456
    Mozilla Champion (Dan)
    Jul 13, 2006
  3. G.T. TYSON
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    730
  4. Alan Browne

    Next (the other next) Gen "DVD" storage

    Alan Browne, May 27, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    13
    Views:
    495
    Iain Laskey
    May 31, 2005
  5. attila001122
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,124
    attila001122
    Jun 6, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page