    UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
    install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?

    Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.
    mapmaker, Mar 4, 2005

  2. mapmaker

    Big Will Guest

    mapmaker wrote:
    > After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
    > patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
    > I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
    > before "upgrading" or "patching".)
    >
    > So...Stupid Question 101:
    > I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
    > UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
    > install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
    >
    > Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

    Your guess is as good as mine, but it probably wouldn't hurt to
    uninstall .8 first. Even though 1.0 should automatically find your
    profile from .8, you may wish to back it up before proceeding with the
    uninstall/reinstall.

    Regards,

    Will
    Big Will, Mar 4, 2005

  3. mapmaker wrote:
    > After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
    > patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
    > I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
    > before "upgrading" or "patching".)
    >
    > So...Stupid Question 101:
    > I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
    > UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
    > install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
    >
    > Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

    Your choice, both methods work. The uninstall or over install won't
    touch your profile folder so all your contacts and themes etc will be
    retained. The only difference is that if you do an over install you
    will be left with an extra entry under add/remove programmes, that is
    the only difference.

    As a rule I always use add/remove to keep things tidy.

    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme@invalid, Mar 4, 2005
  4. mapmaker wrote:
    > After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
    > patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
    > I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
    > before "upgrading" or "patching".)
    >
    > So...Stupid Question 101:
    > I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
    > UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
    > install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
    >
    > Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

    I meant to add that some of your extensions that work with Ver 0.8 may
    not work with Ver 1.0

    --
    So long and thanks for all the fish.
    graeme@invalid, Mar 4, 2005
  5. mapmaker wrote:
    > After having gone through hell and back with the Firefox 1.0.1 "update
    > patch" fiasco, I don't want to go through anything like it again when
    > I "upgrade" from TB 0.8 to TB 1.0 (Bottom line...UNINSTALL Firefox
    > before "upgrading" or "patching".)
    >
    > So...Stupid Question 101:
    > I have downloaded the "Thunderbird Setup 1.0.exe", do I have to
    > UNinstall my existing Thunderbird 0.8 before running the new 1.0
    > install, or can I safely install 1.0 over my 0.8?
    >
    > Thanks for your indulgence and helpful advice.

    Thunderbird's installer suffers from exactly the same bug that Firefox's
    does. If you install over the top of an older verions, you will get
    orphaned listings of Thunderbird in COntrol Panel, Add/Remove Programs.
    The program will still work, but its disconcerting to see three or
    four old versions of TB listed there, when you only have one installed.

    You might want to hold off. There is a maintenance release 1.0.1 due
    out within days. Get that, and uninstall/reinstall.

    Lee
    Leonidas Jones, Mar 5, 2005