    it be better to completely un-install the old version,
    clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?

    Dan
    Dan C, May 5, 2007

  2. Dan C

    Guest

    On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <> wrote:
    > I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
    > directory. Will the new install be completely separate
    > from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
    > it be better to completely un-install the old version,
    > clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?
    >
    > Dan

    I think you need a lesson in how TB works.

    First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
    stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
    from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
    doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.

    When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
    it will pick up your old profile and start using it.

    To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
    button, then Run and enter:

    thunderbird.exe -p

    this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
    just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
    the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
    when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.
    , May 5, 2007

  3. Dan C

    Dan C Guest

    wrote:
    > On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <> wrote:
    >> I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
    >> directory. Will the new install be completely separate
    >> from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
    >> it be better to completely un-install the old version,
    >> clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?
    >>
    >> Dan

    > I think you need a lesson in how TB works.
    >
    > First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
    > stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
    > from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
    > doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.
    >
    > When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
    > it will pick up your old profile and start using it.
    >
    > To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
    > button, then Run and enter:
    >
    > thunderbird.exe -p
    >
    > this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
    > just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
    > the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
    > when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.

    Thanks for the tutorial. Your guidance was excellent per
    usual.

    Is there a way to import specific items like only the
    Inbox's sub folders? I have a lot and would like to avoid
    the recreation of them?

    Dan
    Dan C, May 7, 2007
  4. Dan C

    Guest

    On May 6, 4:59 pm, Dan C <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > On May 5, 8:30 am, Dan C <> wrote:
    > >> I am intending to install Thunderbird 2.0 in a new
    > >> directory. Will the new install be completely separate
    > >> from 1.5.0.10? Or does it share registry entries? Would
    > >> it be better to completely un-install the old version,
    > >> clean up registry, and do....?? before installing 2.0?

    > >> Dan

    > > I think you need a lesson in how TB works.

    > > First, all your settings, prefs, mail, news, passwords, etc, are
    > > stored in an area called the TB Profile. This profile is separate
    > > from where the program is installed. When you uninstall, all you're
    > > doing is removing the program. The profile is not touched.

    > > When you install a new version of TB, and into its own directory, then
    > > it will pick up your old profile and start using it.

    > > To avoid this, close the old program, then click on the windows Start
    > > button, then Run and enter:

    > > thunderbird.exe -p

    > > this will bring up the TB profile manager. Now create a new profile
    > > just for this new version of TB. Don't start TB though. Now, install
    > > the new version of TB and install it into another directory. Now,
    > > when TB starts, it should ask you which profile to use.

    > Thanks for the tutorial. Your guidance was excellent per
    > usual.
    >
    > Is there a way to import specific items like only the
    > Inbox's sub folders? I have a lot and would like to avoid
    > the recreation of them?
    >
    > Dan

    Close TB. From the old profile, just rename inbox to inbox-old or
    whatever you want. And the same with the other files if you have
    duplicates. Now, copy those files over from the old TB Profile over
    to the new TB profiles. Once they've been copied, delete the *.msf
    files. Restart TB and the files should be there. Are they?
    , May 7, 2007