Thumbnailing RAW images

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by John, Nov 12, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Up to now, my pics have been taken at the highest JPG resolution my
    cameras could take. I've started doing more things in manual mode
    now, and am using the Canon RAW format to save the pictures to the
    card now.
    Camera is a Canon S50.

    Up to this point, I've been using thumbplus for the majority of my
    thumbnailing and organizing needs, and using photoshop for my editing.
    I could just scan the directory I put my pictures into, fly through
    them to see which ones to keep, which to delete, move them where I
    want them kept, and simply right click and choose "edit" to pop them
    into photoshop for editing.

    Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
    won't thumbnail them directly. I have to add the THM files for
    thumbnails. I'd rather ditch the THM files and have something that
    goes directly against the CRW files.

    I can use the browser in Adobe Photoshop CS, which works, and has all
    the EXIF data. Obviously not as nice for me as thumbsplus was though.
    But the long time spent searching through thousands of the posts in
    this forum and getting info taught me that some thumbnail programs
    ditch the EXIF data when that program is used on the RAW file.

    I really like Thumbs Plus' layout, since I'm familiar with it, having
    used it pretty much exclusively for years for thumbnailing and
    organizing my pictures. But one of the websites I followed a link
    from said that when you do anything with the file, it, too, loses the
    EXIF data.

    What are the *good* ways that you guys who deal with RAW images handle
    the organization and sorting and such as far as thumbnail type of
    apps? Programs that won't lose any of the data and such?

    Or did I misread it, and that data is lost altogether regardless of
    program because other formats don't support the embedded info?

    *NOT* a graphics guru here by any means (as if it wasn't already
    obvious<G>) so I may be way off base.

    My path of usage of a digital image is take the pics, put files on the
    computer, browse them, delete unwanted ones, organize into appropriate
    folder heirarchy the ones I want to keep, then browse through them one
    at a time and do any photoshopping I need / want to do to the image.

    Thanks for any info to this (overly) long post. :)

    john

    John, Nov 12, 2003

  2. John

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
    > won't thumbnail them directly.

    There is a plugin for Thumbsplus that will allow it to do this. If you
    can't find it on their site, send them an email and they will direct you
    to it.

    --
    __________________________________
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 12, 2003

  3. John

    John Guest

    On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 21:06:42 GMT, Todd Walker <>
    wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >> Now that I've switched over to using CRW format files, thumbs plus
    >> won't thumbnail them directly.
    >>

    >There is a plugin for Thumbsplus that will allow it to do this. If you
    >can't find it on their site, send them an email and they will direct you
    >to it.

    Will it keep thumbsplus from losing any of the EXIF information as you
    work with the images too?

    Thanks for the head's up about the plugin.

    John, Nov 12, 2003
  4. John

    Todd Walker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Will it keep thumbsplus from losing any of the EXIF information as you
    > work with the images too?
    >
    > Thanks for the head's up about the plugin.

    That depends on the application that you use to manipulate the images.
    If it saves the EXIF, then you are in good shape. Thumbs+ won't destroy
    EXIF itself.

    --
    Todd Walker

    Todd Walker, Nov 13, 2003