    'intuitively correct' would be more accurate.)

    --
    Terry, West Sussex, UK

    Terry Pinnell, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Pete Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:50:49 +0000, Terry Pinnell wrote:

    > Occasionally I'm puzzled by inconsistencies in the orientation of
    > thumbnails. Here's an example for one particular photo:
    >
    > Browsed in Thumbnail Displayed when opened
    > ---------- --------- ---------------------
    > Thumbs Plus Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
    > IrfanView Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
    > PaintShop Pro Correct (portrait) Correct (portrait)
    > EXIFer Incorrect (Land.) Correct (portrait)
    >
    > Can someone explain why that variation might arise please?
    >
    > (Note: I use the word 'correct' above, but I suppose 'as expected' or
    > 'intuitively correct' would be more accurate.)

    I suspect this is due to the EXIF orientation tag in the file (assuming
    it's a JPEG). When you rotate an image in some cameras, they don't actually
    rotate the image; instead they set this tag to indicate that the image
    should be rotated when displayed. How (or whether) different programs deal
    with this can vary.

    Pete

    Pete, Mar 21, 2005

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Confused Guest

    On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:54:36 -0800
    In message <k7i5b5jzn1h2.kn6xstzh4zvn$>
    Pete <> wrote:

    > > Occasionally I'm puzzled by inconsistencies in the orientation of
    > > thumbnails. Here's an example for one particular photo:
    > > <SNIP>

    > I suspect this is due to the EXIF orientation tag in the file (assuming
    > it's a JPEG). When you rotate an image in some cameras, they don't actually
    > rotate the image; instead they set this tag to indicate that the image
    > should be rotated when displayed. How (or whether) different programs deal
    > with this can vary.

    If you use multiple platforms and applications to manage your photos
    you might consider turning the auto-rotate feature off. It can be the
    cause of a never ending cycle of manually rotating things back into
    the correct orientation.

    Jeff

    Confused, Mar 21, 2005
  4. Confused <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 08:54:36 -0800
    >In message <k7i5b5jzn1h2.kn6xstzh4zvn$>
    >Pete <> wrote:
    >
    >> > Occasionally I'm puzzled by inconsistencies in the orientation of
    >> > thumbnails. Here's an example for one particular photo:
    >> > <SNIP>

    >> I suspect this is due to the EXIF orientation tag in the file (assuming
    >> it's a JPEG). When you rotate an image in some cameras, they don't actually
    >> rotate the image; instead they set this tag to indicate that the image
    >> should be rotated when displayed. How (or whether) different programs deal
    >> with this can vary.

    >If you use multiple platforms and applications to manage your photos
    >you might consider turning the auto-rotate feature off. It can be the
    >cause of a never ending cycle of manually rotating things back into
    >the correct orientation.
    >
    >Jeff

    OK, thanks both.

    --