    The generation that used acid to escape reality
    Is now using antacid to deal with reality
    http://www.dwacon.com

    d c, Nov 17, 2003

  2. d c

    SgtMinor Guest

    d c wrote:

    > Looks like the floppy has met its match... the only problem, the cost.
    >
    > I've noticed a new type of thumb drive, slightly larger but containing a
    > mini hard drive vs. a memory chip. One has 2.0gb for around $100 (compared
    > to over $350 for the same in static memory).
    >
    > My question... in your educated opinions, does the fact that the new thumb
    > drives have moving parts equal built in obsolescence, or should it be as
    > reliable as traditional storage media?
    >
    > Appreciate some good opinions before I plunk down any cash.
    >
    > --
    > The generation that used acid to escape reality
    > Is now using antacid to deal with reality
    > http://www.dwacon.com

    Which of the 'traditional storage media' do you consider to be reliable?

    SgtMinor, Nov 17, 2003

  3. "d c" <> wrote in message
    > Looks like the floppy has met its match... the only problem, the cost.
    >
    > I've noticed a new type of thumb drive, slightly larger but containing a
    > mini hard drive vs. a memory chip. One has 2.0gb for around $100

    (compared
    > to over $350 for the same in static memory).
    >
    > My question... in your educated opinions, does the fact that the new thumb
    > drives have moving parts equal built in obsolescence, or should it be as
    > reliable as traditional storage media?
    >
    > Appreciate some good opinions before I plunk down any cash.

    Hello DC

    I have been using USB flash drives for the past couple of months, and I love
    them. I love their ease of use, their small size, and their long-term memory
    retention (mine is guaranteed for 10 years). I also love that they are
    getting cheaper.

    Although I haven't seen the type you wrote about, I would have 2 concerns:

    1) Is the memory retention just a reliable as the static memory card?

    2) I would be hesitant to put all my backups onto one large thumb drive. I
    prefer having several smaller drives (no larger than 256mb), so that if one
    of the drives is damaged or becomes corrupted I won't lose everything.

    HTH

    George Richards, Nov 17, 2003
  4. d c

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:32:30 -0500, "d c" <> wrote:

    >Looks like the floppy has met its match... the only problem, the cost.
    >
    >I've noticed a new type of thumb drive, slightly larger but containing a
    >mini hard drive vs. a memory chip. One has 2.0gb for around $100 (compared
    >to over $350 for the same in static memory).
    >
    >My question... in your educated opinions, does the fact that the new thumb
    >drives have moving parts equal built in obsolescence, or should it be as
    >reliable as traditional storage media?

    Please see "betamax".

    Harrison, Nov 17, 2003
  5. d c