    even better tell me where I can stock up on the U3 smart no prob type drives?

    Thank for any help!
    David

    dh@., Dec 17, 2007

  2. dh@.

    Kawosa Guest

    dh@. wrote in news::

    > I'm using Windows 98 on a PC. I tried using a 1G Kingston Data
    > Traveler with it and it worked to some extent. It needs to re-assign
    > (or whatever) the drivers for itself every time I put one in the
    > computer, and then it is often a nightmare in one way or more. Then I
    > got a couple of 1G Micro Center thumb drives that say U3 smart on
    > them. Those things work great every time. They don't make any issue
    > out of drivers every time, and they have never given me any trouble
    > about loading or storing info. So I went back to get a few more, and
    > got an entirely different looking style which looked scarily like the
    > horrible Data Traveler. And very unfortunately for me it acts like it
    > too, making a big issue out of the drive, not wanting to save info,
    > and complaining about not being formatted... So at this point I see
    > that there are the U3 smart type which are no problem at all, vs the
    > other Data Traveler looking type which are a nightmare from hell. Can
    > anyone explain this, and even better tell me where I can stock up on
    > the U3 smart no prob type drives?
    >
    > Thank for any help!
    > David

    If you contact the Taiwan manufacturer, they will produce any number you
    desire with your name on them. Only you will know if they are quality or
    trash. If you do have a valid Kingston drive, there shouldn't be any
    problem with exchanging it.
    Personally, I lke the Memorex brand or Lexar Jump drives.
    Adata used to be decent but are now selling trash products.

    Usually for W98, the difference between a quality drive vs a trash model
    is the supporting software. If you have a lousy driver, the drive will
    always be problematic.

    Kawosa, Dec 17, 2007

  3. dh@.

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Sun, 16 Dec 2007 21:56:25 -0500, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >I'm using Windows 98 on a PC. I tried using a 1G Kingston Data Traveler
    >with it and it worked to some extent. It needs to re-assign (or whatever) the
    >drivers for itself every time I put one in the computer, and then it is often
    >a nightmare in one way or more. Then I got a couple of 1G Micro Center
    >thumb drives that say U3 smart on them. Those things work great every
    >time. They don't make any issue out of drivers every time ...

    I use the Maximus Decim driver set. They add USB 2.0 functionality and
    can work with most (all?) flash drives and USB HDs.

    http://www.msfn.org/board/Maximum-Decim-Native-USB-Drivers-t43605.html

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Dec 17, 2007
  4. dh@.

    student Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt.]
    On 2007-12-17, dh@. <dh@> wrote:
    > I'm using Windows 98 on a PC. I tried using a 1G Kingston Data Traveler
    > with it and it worked to some extent. It needs to re-assign (or whatever) the
    > drivers for itself every time I put one in the computer, and then it is often
    > a nightmare in one way or more. Then I got a couple of 1G Micro Center
    > thumb drives that say U3 smart on them. Those things work great every
    > time. They don't make any issue out of drivers every time, and they have
    > never given me any trouble about loading or storing info. So I went back
    > to get a few more, and got an entirely different looking style which looked
    > scarily like the horrible Data Traveler. And very unfortunately for me it acts
    > like it too, making a big issue out of the drive, not wanting to save info, and
    > complaining about not being formatted... So at this point I see that there are
    > the U3 smart type which are no problem at all, vs the other Data Traveler
    > looking type which are a nightmare from hell. Can anyone explain this, and
    > even better tell me where I can stock up on the U3 smart no prob type drives?
    >
    > Thank for any help!
    > David

    The "problem" is win98 as the others have stated. I'm running winxp &
    don't have any issues with the 1 gig or 512 meg Kingston Data Traveler; I've
    also configured both to be able to bootup for updating bht bios of the mb &
    video. Have used them to xfer files between desktop & laptop.

    I also have a PQI drive as well a a coupld of PNY flashdrives which also
    created no problems.

    The thing is winxp has the drivers to handle USB 2.0 as "part of the os" without
    the need for a manufacturer's driver; the basic capabilities of winxp is enough
    reason for updating the os as it creates less "hazzle". vista, tho, may be
    a smelly fish......

    student, Dec 17, 2007
  5. dh@.

    fwibbler Guest

    dh@. wrote:

    > I'm using Windows 98 on a PC. I tried using a 1G Kingston Data Traveler
    > with it and it worked to some extent. It needs to re-assign (or whatever)

    the
    > drivers for itself every time I put one in the computer, and then it is

    often
    > a nightmare in one way or more. Then I got a couple of 1G Micro Center
    > thumb drives that say U3 smart on them. Those things work great every
    > time. They don't make any issue out of drivers every time, and they have
    > never given me any trouble about loading or storing info. So I went back
    > to get a few more, and got an entirely different looking style which

    looked
    > scarily like the horrible Data Traveler. And very unfortunately for me it

    acts
    > like it too, making a big issue out of the drive, not wanting to save

    info, and
    > complaining about not being formatted... So at this point I see that there

    are
    > the U3 smart type which are no problem at all, vs the other Data Traveler
    > looking type which are a nightmare from hell. Can anyone explain this, and
    > even better tell me where I can stock up on the U3 smart no prob type

    drives?

    Do a search for 'http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php'

    These used to work fine for me on most pen drives

    Cheers!

    --
    Graham
    Website - http://www.thedeathzone.free-online.co.uk

    fwibbler, Dec 17, 2007
  6. dh@.

    Guest

    On 17 Dec, 20:06, fwibbler <-online.co.uk>
    wrote:
    > dh@. wrote:
    > > I'm using Windows 98 on a PC. I tried using a 1G Kingston Data Traveler
    > > with it and it worked to some extent. It needs to re-assign (or whatever)

    > the
    > > drivers for itself every time I put one in the computer, and then it is

    > often
    > > a nightmare in one way or more. Then I got a couple of 1G Micro Center
    > > thumb drives that say U3 smart on them. Those things work great every
    > > time. They don't make any issue out of drivers every time, and they have
    > > never given me any trouble about loading or storing info. So I went back
    > > to get a few more, and got an entirely different looking style which

    > looked
    > > scarily like the horrible Data Traveler. And very unfortunately for me it

    > acts
    > > like it too, making a big issue out of the drive, not wanting to save

    > info, and
    > > complaining about not being formatted... So at this point I see that there

    > are
    > > the U3 smart type which are no problem at all, vs the other Data Traveler
    > > looking type which are a nightmare from hell. Can anyone explain this, and
    > > even better tell me where I can stock up on the U3 smart no prob type

    > drives?
    >
    > Do a search for 'http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/usbmsd98.php'
    >
    > These used to work fine for me on most pen drives
    >
    > Cheers!
    >
    > --

    I had many USB keys that did not work in Win98. With that driver they
    all worked. It has been mentioned before in the usenet archive
    (www.google.com/groups)

    Your link is broken, but the file is here
    http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/drivers/nusb22e.exe
    and I put it here too (link below), for safe keeping.

    http://www.archive.org/details/GenericWindows98UsbDriver

    , Dec 22, 2007