thumb drive problem with Windows 98

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by dh@., Apr 10, 2007.

  1. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    would work. Having been led to believe it would take
    care of everything by itself, when it asked about
    drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
    figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
    I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
    It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
    out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
    been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

    It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB. I read the
    Read Me at:

    http://tinyurl.com/2thq64

    and downloaded the driver. Thinking that something
    mut have gotten screwed up the first time I put it in,
    I tried following this:
    Q. During the installation of the Data Traveler the Hardware Wizard did
    not locate a proper driver for the Data Traveler and now there is an
    "Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager and the new drive letter
    for the Data Traveler is not displayed in "My Computer."

    A. You have not properly installed the drivers for your Data Traveler. In
    order to resolve you will need to first download the appropriate driver.
    Please use the URL provided to download the proper DTI driver.
    http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/DTI.EXE
    Be sure to download this driver to a location that you can remember.
    Now you will need to update the driver for the Data Traveler listed under
    "Other Devices." In order to do this, please follow the steps provided.

    1)In Device Manager, Right click on the Data Traveler listed
    under "Other Devices," and select "Properties."
    2)Access the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver." This will
    begin the "Update Driver Wizard."
    3)During the "Update Driver Wizard" be sure to select the
    "Search for a better driver" option and click next.
    4)In the "search for updated drivers," window, make sure "Specify
    a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
    5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
    O.K.
    6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
    Click Next>Next>Finished.
    7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
    installation should complete and a new
    "Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
    but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
    PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
    I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
    things just not work with regular Windows 98?

    When things didn't work out like the instructions suggested they
    would during the first attempt I made, I did all this:
    Windows 98SE Users:

    NOTE: DO NOT INSERT DATATRAVELER I BEFORE THE DRIVER
    IS INSTALLED AND SYSTEM HAS REBOOTED!

    1. Download the file named "DTI.EXE".

    2. Decompress the "DTI.EXE" file by double clicking on it. Extract it to
    a location of your choice. Be sure to note the location where the files
    are extracted. The default location is c:\temp

    3. Double click on the DTI.exe icon in the location from step 2 to start
    the installation program.

    4. Follow the directions on the screen. Click "Yes" and "Next" where
    appropriate.

    5. The Install Shield will display a "Please remove DataTraveler 2.0"
    information message. Please confirm that the DataTraveler is not
    plugged into the USB port, then click OK.

    6. Windows will install the appropriate driver for the DataTraveler, then
    display: "InstallShield Wizard Complete." You will also be prompted
    to restart your computer. Please select "Yes, I want to restart my
    computer now" then click Finish.

    7. DO NOT INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! A driver database
    will build itself and you will then receive a message which reads,
    "You may insert the DataTraveler 2.0 device at anytime." DO NOT
    INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! Please click Finish and allow
    the computer to completely reboot prior to inserting the DataTraveler
    into the USB port.
    but still when I insert the device nothing happens. If my system can't
    even detect the device, then it seems that it wouldn't have been able
    to try setting up drivers for it the first time I plugged it in. But if it can
    detect the thing, why won't it work now that I have installed the right
    driver?

    Thanks for any help!
    David

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007

  2. dh@.

    Frank McCoy Guest

    In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt dh@. wrote:

    >I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >would work. Having been led to believe it would take
    >care of everything by itself, when it asked about
    >drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
    >figure it out.

    Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found
    out).

    >I was online at the time, and it asked if
    >I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
    >It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
    >out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
    >been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.
    >
    >It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB. I read the
    >Read Me at:
    >
    >http://tinyurl.com/2thq64
    >
    >and downloaded the driver. Thinking that something
    >mut have gotten screwed up the first time I put it in,
    >I tried following this:
    >Q. During the installation of the Data Traveler the Hardware Wizard did
    >not locate a proper driver for the Data Traveler and now there is an
    >"Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager and the new drive letter
    >for the Data Traveler is not displayed in "My Computer."
    >
    >A. You have not properly installed the drivers for your Data Traveler. In
    >order to resolve you will need to first download the appropriate driver.
    >Please use the URL provided to download the proper DTI driver.
    > http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/DTI.EXE
    >Be sure to download this driver to a location that you can remember.
    >Now you will need to update the driver for the Data Traveler listed under
    >"Other Devices." In order to do this, please follow the steps provided.
    >
    > 1)In Device Manager, Right click on the Data Traveler listed
    > under "Other Devices," and select "Properties."
    > 2)Access the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver." This will
    > begin the "Update Driver Wizard."
    > 3)During the "Update Driver Wizard" be sure to select the
    > "Search for a better driver" option and click next.
    > 4)In the "search for updated drivers," window, make sure "Specify
    > a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
    > 5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
    > O.K.
    > 6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
    > Click Next>Next>Finished.
    > 7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
    > installation should complete and a new
    > "Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
    >¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
    >PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
    >I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
    >things just not work with regular Windows 98?

    In Win-98:
    Start => Settings => Control Panel => System => Device Manager
    The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow
    question-mark.

    BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

    --
    _____
    / ' / â„¢

    Frank McCoy, Apr 10, 2007

  3. dh@.

    meerkat Guest

    <dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    > would work.

    snipped the rest of the post.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218

    Tells you about 98 and USB.

    meerkat, Apr 10, 2007
  4. dh@.

    Pipboy Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

    > Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found
    > out).

    Works for WinME too which is an updated Win98 so it was half right.

    Pipboy, Apr 10, 2007
  5. dh@.

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, dh@. says...
    > I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    > would work. Having been led to believe it would take
    > care of everything by itself, when it asked about
    > drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
    > figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
    > I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
    > It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
    > out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
    > been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

    How long ago did you do this? It may be possible to roll back your
    registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.

    Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
    options? If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
    list. Once at the command prompt type:

    scanreg /restore

    This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
    Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

    If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
    instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
    successfully afterwards.

    --
    Pete Ives

    Peter, Apr 10, 2007
  6. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:30:39 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    ><dh@.> wrote in message news:...
    >>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >> would work.

    >snipped the rest of the post.
    >>

    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218
    >
    >Tells you about 98 and USB.

    Thanks, but I couldn't find anything there that helped.

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007
  7. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

> [...]

    >> 5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
    >> O.K.
    >> 6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
    >> Click Next>Next>Finished.
    >> 7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
    >> installation should complete and a new
    >> "Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
    >>¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
    >>but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
    >>PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
    >>I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
    >>things just not work with regular Windows 98?
    >>

    >In Win-98:
    >Start => Settings => Control Panel => System => Device Manager
    >The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow

    It's not there. No "Other Devices", and I can't find Data Traveler
    listed under anything else either.

    >BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

    I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007
  8. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:09:27 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    >In article <>, dh@. says...
    >> I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >> would work. Having been led to believe it would take
    >> care of everything by itself, when it asked about
    >> drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
    >> figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
    >> I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
    >> It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
    >> out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
    >> been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.
    >>

    >How long ago did you do this?

    Yesterday.

    >It may be possible to roll back your
    >registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.
    >
    >Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
    >options?

    I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
    keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
    bring up some options?

    >If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
    >list. Once at the command prompt type:
    >
    >scanreg /restore
    >
    >This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
    >Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

    How?

    >If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
    >instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
    >successfully afterwards.

    So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
    do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
    install them again?

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007
  9. dh@.

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:45:06 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >would work.

    Assuming that you can get other USB devices (eg printer, mouse,
    scanner) to work, then try the freeware Maximus Decim Native USB
    driver pack:

    http://rapidshare.com/files/19858514/nusb31e.exe.html

    You can also use a Win98 utility called usbview.exe to detect USB
    devices even if their drivers are not loaded. Usbview should be on
    your Win98 CD.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Apr 10, 2007
  10. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:27:30 -0400, dh@. wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy <> wrote:
    >
    >>BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

    > I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

    Oops, I might have been wrong about that. Looking at the general
    system properties it says Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A, so
    maybe it will work if I can get it working...

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007
  11. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:35:27 +1000, Franc Zabkar <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:45:06 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
    >composed:
    >
    >>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >>would work.

    >Assuming that you can get other USB devices (eg printer, mouse,
    >scanner) to work, then try the freeware Maximus Decim Native USB
    >driver pack:
    >
    > http://rapidshare.com/files/19858514/nusb31e.exe.html
    >
    >You can also use a Win98 utility called usbview.exe to detect USB
    >devices even if their drivers are not loaded. Usbview should be on
    >your Win98 CD.
    >
    >- Franc Zabkar

    Okay, thanks. I found it online and downloaded it from:

    http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/USBview/

    I opened it and it detected nothing in either USB port. Then I
    plugged in the thumb drive, opened it again, and it detected
    it in Port2. So now what?

    dh@., Apr 10, 2007
  12. dh@.

    Franc Zabkar Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:46:24 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
    composed:

    >On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:35:27 +1000, Franc Zabkar <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:45:06 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
    >>composed:
    >>
    >>>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    >>>would work.

    >>Assuming that you can get other USB devices (eg printer, mouse,
    >>scanner) to work, then try the freeware Maximus Decim Native USB
    >>driver pack:
    >>
    >> http://rapidshare.com/files/19858514/nusb31e.exe.html
    >>
    >>You can also use a Win98 utility called usbview.exe to detect USB
    >>devices even if their drivers are not loaded. Usbview should be on
    >>your Win98 CD.
    >>
    >>- Franc Zabkar

    > Okay, thanks. I found it online and downloaded it from:
    >
    >http://www.usbman.com/WebDrivers/USBview/
    >
    >I opened it and it detected nothing in either USB port. Then I
    >plugged in the thumb drive, opened it again, and it detected
    >it in Port2. So now what?

    Usbview is telling you that your hardware is OK. It is a diagnostic
    utility, not a driver.

    The NUSB driver is a universal Win98 driver for all sorts of USB
    storage devices. Install it and you should be up and running. You may
    need to uninstall your other driver(s) first, though.

    - Franc Zabkar

    Franc Zabkar, Apr 11, 2007
  13. dh@. wrote:

    > I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    > would work.

    Whoever told you that probably assumed that you had Windows ME or
    newer.

    > It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB.

    > Windows 98SE Users:
    >
    > NOTE: DO NOT INSERT DATATRAVELER I BEFORE THE DRIVER
    > IS INSTALLED AND SYSTEM HAS REBOOTED!
    >
    > 1. Download the file named "DTI.EXE".
    >
    > 2. Decompress the "DTI.EXE" file by double clicking on it. Extract it to
    > a location of your choice. Be sure to note the location where the files
    > are extracted. The default location is c:\temp
    >
    > 3. Double click on the DTI.exe icon in the location from step 2 to start
    > the installation program.
    >
    > 4. Follow the directions on the screen. Click "Yes" and "Next" where
    > appropriate.
    >
    > 5. The Install Shield will display a "Please remove DataTraveler 2.0"
    > information message. Please confirm that the DataTraveler is not
    > plugged into the USB port, then click OK.
    >
    > 6. Windows will install the appropriate driver for the DataTraveler, then
    > display: "InstallShield Wizard Complete."

    > but still when I insert the device nothing happens.

    You should be able to get the answer at www.usbman.com or www.everythingusb.com,
    but generally you can get a stubborn device to install if you:

    1. Uninstall driver program
    2. Reboot into Safe Mode
    3. Call up the System Device Manager
    4. Remove all mentions of the troublesome device and similar
    nonexistent devices
    5. Reboot
    6. CTRL-ALT-DEL and turn off everything except Internet Explorer and
    Systray
    7. Reinstall driver program
    8 Reboot
    9. Install USB device

    larry moe 'n curly, Apr 11, 2007
  14. dh@.

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, dh@. says...
    > On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:09:27 GMT, Peter <> wrote:
    >
    > >In article <>, dh@. says...
    > >> I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
    > >> would work. Having been led to believe it would take
    > >> care of everything by itself, when it asked about
    > >> drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
    > >> figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
    > >> I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
    > >> It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
    > >> out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
    > >> been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.
    > >>

    > >How long ago did you do this?

    > Yesterday.
    >
    > >It may be possible to roll back your
    > >registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.
    > >
    > >Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
    > >options?

    > I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
    > keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
    > bring up some options?
    >
    > >If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
    > >list. Once at the command prompt type:
    > >
    > >scanreg /restore
    > >
    > >This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
    > >Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

    > How?

    After you've typed

    scanreg /restore

    from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    > >If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
    > >instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
    > >successfully afterwards.

    > So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
    > do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
    > install them again?

    The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.

    So you can start out afresh. :)

    --
    Pete Ives

    Peter, Apr 11, 2007
  15. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    >In article <>, dh@. says...
    >> On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:09:27 GMT, Peter <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, dh@. says...
    >> >>

    >> >How long ago did you do this?

    >> Yesterday.
    >>
    >> >It may be possible to roll back your
    >> >registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.
    >> >
    >> >Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
    >> >options?

    >> I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
    >> keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
    >> bring up some options?
    >>
    >> >If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
    >> >list. Once at the command prompt type:
    >> >
    >> >scanreg /restore
    >> >
    >> >This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
    >> >Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

    >> How?
    >>

    >After you've typed
    >
    >scanreg /restore
    >
    >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.
    >
    >> >If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
    >> >instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
    >> >successfully afterwards.

    >> So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
    >> do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
    >> install them again?
    >>

    >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.
    >
    >So you can start out afresh. :)

    That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    before you suggest doing something like that.

    dh@., Apr 11, 2007
  16. dh@.

    Peter Guest

    In article <>, dh@. says...
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    > >> How?
    > >>

    > >After you've typed
    > >
    > >scanreg /restore
    > >
    > >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    > >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    > >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    > >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    > >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    > >> So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
    > >> do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
    > >> install them again?
    > >>

    > >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    > >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    > >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    > >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.
    > >
    > >So you can start out afresh. :)

    > That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    > my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    > all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    > again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    > going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    > the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    > kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    > before you suggest doing something like that.

    Ok, my bad. However, I was unaware that you must have also installed
    various other devices recently also. Normally speaking, the registry
    backups will only go back about 4 or 5 days and so this kind of recovery
    shouldn't have any major affect like it did on your machine because,
    generally speaking, it is done to recover from one, very recent, problem
    and shouldn't mess up devices that were installed weeks/months earlier.

    --
    Pete Ives

    Peter, Apr 11, 2007
  17. dh@.

    jinxy Guest

    On Apr 11, 12:41 pm, dh@. wrote:
    > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    > >> Yesterday.

    > >> I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
    > >> keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
    > >> bring up some options?

    > >> How?

    > >After you've typed

    > >scanreg /restore

    > >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    > >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    > >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    > >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    > >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    > >> So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
    > >> do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
    > >> install them again?

    > >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    > >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    > >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    > >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.

    > >So you can start out afresh. :)

    > That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    > my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    > all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    > again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    > going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    > the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    > kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    > before you suggest doing something like that.- Hide quoted text -

    Have you tried downloading the windows 98 driver for that device from
    Kingston's website? http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/default.asp
    I bought one awhile back (128mb) and had the same trouble. Forget all
    that other stuff and try the simple route first.
    -J

    jinxy, Apr 11, 2007
  18. dh@.

    jinxy Guest

    On Apr 11, 5:38 pm, Peter <>
    wrote:
    > In article <>, dh@. says...
    >

    > > On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    > > >In article <>, dh@. says...

    > > >After you've typed

    > > >scanreg /restore

    > > >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    > > >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    > > >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    > > >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    > > >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    > > >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    > > >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    > > >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    > > >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.

    > > >So you can start out afresh. :)

    > > That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    > > my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    > > all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    > > again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    > > going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    > > the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    > > kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    > > before you suggest doing something like that.

    > Ok, my bad. However, I was unaware that you must have also installed
    > various other devices recently also. Normally speaking, the registry
    > backups will only go back about 4 or 5 days and so this kind of recovery
    > shouldn't have any major affect like it did on your machine because,
    > generally speaking, it is done to recover from one, very recent, problem
    > and shouldn't mess up devices that were installed weeks/months earlier.
    >
    > --
    > Pete Ives
    > Remove All_stRESS before sending me an email- Hide quoted text -

    Try downloading the windows 98 drivers for your device right from
    Kingston.
    -J

    jinxy, Apr 12, 2007
  19. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 21:38:55 GMT, Peter <> wrote:

    >In article <>, dh@. says...
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >In article <>, dh@. says...

    >> >After you've typed
    >> >
    >> >scanreg /restore
    >> >
    >> >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    >> >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    >> >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    >> >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    >> >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    >> >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    >> >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    >> >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    >> >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.
    >> >
    >> >So you can start out afresh. :)

    >> That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    >> my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    >> all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    >> again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    >> going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    >> the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    >> kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    >> before you suggest doing something like that.
    >>

    >Ok, my bad. However, I was unaware that you must have also installed
    >various other devices recently also. Normally speaking, the registry
    >backups will only go back about 4 or 5 days and so this kind of recovery
    >shouldn't have any major affect like it did on your machine because,
    >generally speaking, it is done to recover from one, very recent, problem
    >and shouldn't mess up devices that were installed weeks/months earlier.

    I don't understand anything about it, but the first time there was only
    one choice, so that's what I chose and that's what screwed everything
    up. When I opened it up again in the hopes of having a solution, there
    were 2 choices so I chose the most recent one. I believe that option
    must have come into existence because of the action you suggested,
    but I don't understand the basics of the whole thing. The other option,
    which must be the one I tried out, was dated back in the 1990s I believe.

    dh@., Apr 12, 2007
  20. dh@.

    dh@. Guest

    On 11 Apr 2007 15:29:15 -0700, "jinxy" <> wrote:

    >On Apr 11, 12:41 pm, dh@. wrote:
    >> On Wed, 11 Apr 2007 11:01:37 GMT, Peter <> wrote:
    >> >In article <>, dh@. says...

    >> >After you've typed

    >> >scanreg /restore

    >> >from the command prompt a list of saved registry backups should appear
    >> >on screen, listed under the date they were saved. All you need to do is
    >> >use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to highlight the backup you
    >> >want to restore to and then press 'return'. You will then be told if
    >> >the replacement was successful or not. If its good then just re-boot.

    >> >The registry holds all info about which drivers/devices have been
    >> >installed. If you roll back the registry to prior to your original
    >> >attempt to install the memory stick then as far as Windows 98 is
    >> >concerned you 'never' installed the stick in the first place.

    >> >So you can start out afresh. :)

    >> That kicked my ass! I didn't have a printer, it changed all
    >> my settings, it didn't detect my modem, and I don't know what
    >> all else. It was horrible. I freaked out, but did the same thing
    >> again hoping there was a way of undoing whatever hell was
    >> going on, and fortunately it came back around when I selected
    >> the more recent whatever it was. But damn dude! You're not
    >> kidding about starting "afresh". You should warn somebody
    >> before you suggest doing something like that.- Hide quoted text -

    >Have you tried downloading the windows 98 driver for that device from
    >Kingston's website? http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/default.asp
    >I bought one awhile back (128mb) and had the same trouble. Forget all
    >that other stuff and try the simple route first.
    >-J

    I did download what was supposedly the correct driver for it from:

    http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/default.asp?s=DTI_HS

    I read the FAQ, and the problem they discussed does not apply
    to me. I followed the instructions from the Read Me at:

    http://www.kingston.com/support/downloads/usbdatatrav/ReadMe_F12DTI.txt

    both ways they explained how to do it, and neither worked. I'm guessing
    that when I first plugged it in and let is search for it's own driver if must
    have associated itself with something that doesn't work, that screwed
    everything up to begin with, and now I can't get out of it. Hopefully eventually...

    dh@., Apr 12, 2007