    also possible to do this for general internet traffic too?

    regards
    Paul Roberts.

    Bob, Feb 28, 2007

  2. In article <>,
    Bob <> wrote:

    >I have a Cisco PIX 515e, we use this firewall for Internet traffic and
    >for VPN's to other 515e's.
    >We used to have a 501 but we got the 515 in order to give us a greater
    >throughput over the VPN. This has been achived but it's getting
    >expensive to shove data over the VPN.

    >Is there anyway that I can throttle the throughput over the VPN? is it
    >also possible to do this for general internet traffic too?

    PIX 7.x supports Qos; PIX 6.x does not.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2007

  3. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Is it straight forward to upgrade from 6.3(4) to 7?

    Bob, Feb 28, 2007
  4. In article <>,
    Bob <> wrote:
    >Is it straight forward to upgrade from 6.3(4) to 7?

    In a word: NO.

    The new PIX version should rewrite a lot of your old configuration
    automatically, but the structure of inspections in particular
    is sufficiently different that you will need time to understand
    the new configuration. Cisco says that it should be "seemless", but
    I wouldn't do a production machine without having first upgraded a
    lab-bench machine.

    http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/pix/pix_sw/v_70/pix_upgd/pixupgrd.htm

    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2007
  5. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Thank you Walter for responding.

    So there is no other way to cap the internet traffic?

    Bob, Mar 1, 2007
  6. In article <>,
    Bob <> wrote:
    >Thank you Walter for responding.

    >So there is no other way to cap the internet traffic?

    PIX 6 offers no facilities at all to do traffic control. The closest
    is limits on the number of simultaneous connections, on the static
    command.

    PIX 7 does, but the differences in configuration are enough that
    I personally wouldn't risk a drop-in upgrade on any business device
    (maybe if I had a long weekend to implement it over...) Maybe
    the upgrade would go great -- but networking doesn't run on wishes.
    (It runs on "magic smoke". And if you don't understand,
    google that phrase.)

    Your router might have some kind of limit controls.

    Walter Roberson, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    The 515 is a recent replacement of a 501 with the same config, so I am
    safe in just putting the 501 back in, then running the upgrade on the
    515 without disruption to the network.

    I have no control over our router but I have asked our ISP who support
    it, if they can cap it.

    Where can I download 7 from?

    What command do I need to issue to cap the traffic?

    Love the Magic Smoke theory!

    Paul.

    Bob, Mar 1, 2007
  8. Bob

    santosh Guest

    Hi all.

    I want to know the configuration commands on Cisco router 3640 for PPP
    -CHAP authentication between the Cisco 3640 and non-Cisco device.

    Above devices are connected back to back over V.35 interface.

    Thanks in advance.

    Regards,
    Santosh Hiremath

    santosh, Mar 2, 2007