Three Stooges: Colorized!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by One-Shot Scot, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. JUNE 9 | Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment will launch a new
    film-coloring process with the Aug. 10 release of two Three Stooges
    DVDs.

    The studio hopes this "color and B&W" system will introduce classic
    black-and-white films to younger generations of viewers.

    Viewers will be able to see the difference with another new feature
    being introduced with these titles. The Three Stooges: Goofs on the
    Loose and The Three Stooges: Stooged and Confoosed also offer CTHE's
    ChromaChoice option, an innovative new formatting that allows a viewer
    to use a DVD remote to toggle between the film's original
    black-and-white version and its colorized edition.

    "This highly refined coloring process brings incredible new life to
    black-and-white classics and has the potential to win over a more
    contemporary audience for these films," said Lexine Wong, CTHE's
    executive VP worldwide marketing.

    Helping the restoration process, Columbia Pictures archives had many of
    the films' original production elements such as props and cloth swatches
    available for reference.

    Goofs on the Loose contains Men in Black (1934), The Sitter Downers
    (1937), Punch Drunks (1934) and Playing the Ponies (1937). Stooges and
    Confoosed includes Violent is the Word for Curly (1938), You Nazty Spy
    (1940) and No Census, No Feeling (1940).

    http://www.videobusiness.com/article.asp?articleID=7882&catType=NEWS

    One-Shot Scot, Jun 10, 2004

  2. One-Shot Scot

    Mike Kohary Guest

    One-Shot Scot wrote:
    > JUNE 9 | Columbia TriStar Home Entertainment will launch a new
    > film-coloring process with the Aug. 10 release of two Three Stooges
    > DVDs.
    >
    > The studio hopes this "color and B&W" system will introduce classic
    > black-and-white films to younger generations of viewers.

    At least they are also including the original black and white versions, so I
    guess I can't complain too loudly.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, Jun 10, 2004

  3. One-Shot Scot <> wrote:

    > Helping the restoration process, Columbia Pictures archives had many of
    > the films' original production elements such as props and cloth swatches
    > available for reference.

    When things were to be filmed in black and white, didn't they tend to make
    props and costumes in colors that would read well in black and white (such
    as orange)? I don't think you'd necessarily want to use the actual colors
    of those items in the colorization.

    Colin

    Colin Caulkins, Jun 10, 2004
  4. One-Shot Scot

    jayembee Guest

    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > Goofs on the Loose contains Men in Black (1934), The Sitter
    > Downers (1937), Punch Drunks (1934) and Playing the Ponies
    > (1937). Stooges and Confoosed includes Violent is the Word
    > for Curly (1938), You Nazty Spy (1940) and No Census, No
    > Feeling (1940).

    Well, that sucks.

    Oh, screw the colorization bit. I'm talking about the shorts.
    It's bad enough that Columbia is down to four and three shorts
    per disc, respectively. But only two on each disc are "new".
    "Men in Black" and "Punch Drunks" were already released on
    CURLY CLASSICS, while "Violent Is the Word for Curly" was on
    ALL THE WORLD'S A STOOGE.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Jun 10, 2004
  5. One-Shot Scot

    Doonie Guest

    On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:53:10 -0000, Colin Caulkins wrote:

    >When things were to be filmed in black and white, didn't they tend to make
    >props and costumes in colors that would read well in black and white (such
    >as orange)? I don't think you'd necessarily want to use the actual colors
    >of those items in the colorization.

    I know their make-up for sure was designed for b&w.

    --
    http://911research.wtc7.net

    Doonie, Jun 11, 2004
  6. One-Shot Scot

    Barry OGrady Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 02:02:02 GMT, Doonie <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:53:10 -0000, Colin Caulkins wrote:
    >
    >>When things were to be filmed in black and white, didn't they tend to make
    >>props and costumes in colors that would read well in black and white (such
    >>as orange)? I don't think you'd necessarily want to use the actual colors
    >>of those items in the colorization.

    > I know their make-up for sure was designed for b&w.

    Who told you to spell colourised that way?

    >--
    >http://911research.wtc7.net

    -Barry
    ========

    Barry OGrady, Jun 12, 2004
  7. >At least they are also including the original black and white versions, so I
    >guess I can't complain too loudly.

    well at least you seem to show some sense

    unlike some other people in this newsgroup who complain when black and white
    films are colorized even if the original is included on the disc, yet accept
    5.1 soundtracks of a mono movie when the original mono track isn't available on
    the disc, and complain when someone says that the original mono should have
    been used also.

    Waterperson77, Jun 16, 2004