thow to turn off "system restore" equivalent fin W2K?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by fros, Dec 16, 2003.

  1. fros

    fros Guest

    I'm having trouble getting a Win 2000 clear of viruses.
    I've used Norton and AVG (both with updated definitions).
    All appears to be clear and then there's a re-occurance and another culprit
    pops up ( today it's the 'backdoor')
    It's not from the usual sources (email attachments, websites, downloads).
    I've run both apps extensively.
    I've also run from Safe Mode.

    It seems that a "System Restore" kind of function may have already backed up
    the file/s containing the virus/es and certain virus scan programs cannot
    alter the system and find the files there.

    In XP you can go to My Computer... Properties... System Restore... and check
    the
    "Turn off System Restore" box. Restart the system and run a virus
    scan .If the system finds a virus, continue normally and clean, quarantine,
    or delete the file(s).
    Restart the system again. Go back and uncheck the "Turn off System Restore"
    box and run another virus scan.

    Any help doing the same in Windows 2000 appreciated.

    --
    newsgroups signature

    fros, Dec 16, 2003

  2. fros

    me Guest

    Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
    Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
    Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    me, Dec 17, 2003

  3. fros

    rifleman Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    |Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
    |Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
    |Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.

    Umm W2K has System Restore? I've never seen it......

    rifleman, Dec 17, 2003
  4. fros

    rifleman Guest

    In article <>, me9
    @privacy.net says...
    |In article <>,
    | says...
    ||Click Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, System Restore, System
    ||Restore Settings, System Restore tab, check the box. "Turn off System
    ||Restore on all drives", "Apply", and "OK" your way out.
    |
    |Umm W2K has System Restore? I've never seen it......

    I thought so - I've just fired up my other machine with W2K on it. there
    is NO "System Restore" as in XP.

    rifleman, Dec 17, 2003
  5. fros

    fros Guest