Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by DeMoN LaG, Oct 30, 2003.

  1. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    As a fun project, I've managed to get 16 SCSI drives from eBay (all
    working, tested myself) of 23 GB each. I am planning on making a file
    server out of these drives. I've already got two SCSI controllers for the
    drives (as well as a SCSI CDROM and two other SCSI drives for other uses in
    the server), and I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar before.
    The toughest part I've had so far is finding a way to power the drives,
    thankfully they will draw a peak of 25.6A on the +12V and 16A on the +5V,
    and I found a supply that will give 36A on the +12 and 29A on the +5. So
    power is good. I'm working on an enclosure to house them, and I've got
    long enough cabling and external hookups for all the drives to connect to
    and stuff.

    Basically, has anyone undergone something this massive (and pointless)
    before, and if so, what pitfalls should I watch for?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 30, 2003

  2. caveat lector - reader beware, Oct 30, 2003

  3. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    damn thing will sound like a jet airliner taking off when those babies all
    spin up. Better stand back or get sucked into the gravity well. ;-)

    Thor, Oct 30, 2003
  4. DeMoN LaG

    mcp6453 Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > damn thing will sound like a jet airliner taking off when those babies all
    > spin up. Better stand back or get sucked into the gravity well. ;-)

    Thor:

    Have you ever thought about setting up a for-pay support system? I have
    some clients/friends/colleagues who might be willing to pay you for your
    expertise, but they are not going to post in a newsgroup. (I would have
    sent you this message privately, but you don't have a valid email
    address. If you have a throw away Yahoo or Hotmail address, send it to
    me privately and I'll tell you my thoughts.

    Mike

    mcp6453, Oct 30, 2003
  5. On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 07:25:42 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >As a fun project, I've managed to get 16 SCSI drives from eBay (all
    >working, tested myself) of 23 GB each. I am planning on making a file
    >server out of these drives. I've already got two SCSI controllers for the
    >drives (as well as a SCSI CDROM and two other SCSI drives for other uses in
    >the server), and I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar before.
    >The toughest part I've had so far is finding a way to power the drives,
    >thankfully they will draw a peak of 25.6A on the +12V and 16A on the +5V,
    >and I found a supply that will give 36A on the +12 and 29A on the +5. So
    >power is good. I'm working on an enclosure to house them, and I've got
    >long enough cabling and external hookups for all the drives to connect to
    >and stuff.
    >
    >Basically, has anyone undergone something this massive (and pointless)
    >before, and if so, what pitfalls should I watch for?

    It's not as outlandish as you might think. I've got a closet full of
    old SciNet SCSI CD-ROM servers that each contain 7 SCSI drives.

    BB

    BinaryBillThesailor@Sea++.com, Oct 30, 2003
  6. DeMoN LaG

    Jeremy Guest

    DeMoN LaG wrote:

    > Basically, has anyone undergone something this massive (and pointless)
    > before, and if so, what pitfalls should I watch for?
    >
    > --
    > AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    > email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)
    > website: under construction
    > email/IM for rates/services

    An overabundance of dead goats :)

    JJ

    Jeremy, Oct 30, 2003
  7. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    mcp6453 <> wrote in news::

    > Thor:
    >
    > Have you ever thought about setting up a for-pay support system? I have
    > some clients/friends/colleagues who might be willing to pay you for your
    > expertise, but they are not going to post in a newsgroup. (I would have
    > sent you this message privately, but you don't have a valid email
    > address. If you have a throw away Yahoo or Hotmail address, send it to
    > me privately and I'll tell you my thoughts.

    I personally can not answer for Thor on this question, but one must realize
    one thing about this newsgroup and it's participants:
    Most (if not all of us) don't do this with the hope of being paid. We do
    this because it is a talent we have for some reason that not everyone does,
    and if we can take 30 minutes of our day to give out free advice and help,
    we are giving back to the community. I can't say that Thor wouldn't take
    your offer, but I can say I would be very surprised if he did.

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 30, 2003
  8. DeMoN LaG wrote:
    > mcp6453 <> wrote in news::
    >

    >>Thor:
    >>
    >>Have you ever thought about setting up a for-pay support system? I have
    >>some clients/friends/colleagues who might be willing to pay you for your
    >>expertise, but they are not going to post in a newsgroup. (I would have
    >>sent you this message privately, but you don't have a valid email
    >>address. If you have a throw away Yahoo or Hotmail address, send it to
    >>me privately and I'll tell you my thoughts.
    >>

    > I personally can not answer for Thor on this question, but one must realize
    > one thing about this newsgroup and it's participants:
    > Most (if not all of us) don't do this with the hope of being paid. We do
    > this because it is a talent we have for some reason that not everyone does,
    > and if we can take 30 minutes of our day to give out free advice and help,
    > we are giving back to the community. I can't say that Thor wouldn't take
    > your offer, but I can say I would be very surprised if he did.

    I suspect that many of us already do support work for pay. I know that I
    do-or did. (When they hired a new support tech they moved me to mostly
    programming.) We (or at least I) participate here not only to 'give
    back' as you mentioned but also to learn & expand my skills.

    IMO the hardest part about support is 'remote' support. I'm lucky in
    that most of my paid support duties are within this building-if I can't
    understand the user's explanation of what's going on then I can get off
    my lazy butt & go over to see for myself. In my side job (self-employed
    support) that often isn't possible so I need to keep my communication
    skills sharp-diagnosing problems from inadequate descriptions,
    communicating solutions to people who have only the slightest idea what
    I'm telling them to do, etc. Participating here-both what I offer & what
    I see from others-helps me with that.

    So personally, I participate here for two reasons-gratitude for the help
    I've received, both here & elsewhere, in the past & self-benefit for
    what I'm receiving now.

    Thanks.

    Calvin Crumrine, Oct 30, 2003
  9. DeMoN LaG

    Thor Guest

    "mcp6453" <> wrote in message
    > Thor wrote:
    > >
    > > damn thing will sound like a jet airliner taking off when those babies

    all
    > > spin up. Better stand back or get sucked into the gravity well. ;-)

    > Thor:
    >
    > Have you ever thought about setting up a for-pay support system? I have
    > some clients/friends/colleagues who might be willing to pay you for your
    > expertise, but they are not going to post in a newsgroup. (I would have
    > sent you this message privately, but you don't have a valid email
    > address. If you have a throw away Yahoo or Hotmail address, send it to
    > me privately and I'll tell you my thoughts.
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks for the offer, but I must decline. I already have plenty on my
    business plate to handle. :)

    Thor, Oct 31, 2003
  10. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > As a fun project, I've managed to get 16 SCSI drives from eBay (all
    > working, tested myself) of 23 GB each. I am planning on making a file
    > server out of these drives. I've already got two SCSI controllers for the
    > drives (as well as a SCSI CDROM and two other SCSI drives for other uses

    in
    > the server), and I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar before.
    > The toughest part I've had so far is finding a way to power the drives,
    > thankfully they will draw a peak of 25.6A on the +12V and 16A on the +5V,
    > and I found a supply that will give 36A on the +12 and 29A on the +5. So
    > power is good. I'm working on an enclosure to house them, and I've got
    > long enough cabling and external hookups for all the drives to connect to
    > and stuff.
    >
    > Basically, has anyone undergone something this massive (and pointless)
    > before, and if so, what pitfalls should I watch for?
    >
    > --

    Never tried this before. I imagine that the noise will be pretty bad. But
    do keep us updated on how it turns out.

    Adam Steiner, Oct 31, 2003
  11. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > Never tried this before. I imagine that the noise will be pretty bad.
    > But do keep us updated on how it turns out.

    Noise is negligible (if that's spelled right). I've connected 2 of the 16
    drives at once and they are near silent (only 5400 RPMs too, so low heat
    output). The two 23 gig drives I hooked up (they are Seagate ST4 series
    drives) are quieter than a single IBM 18 GB drive (model number not handy).

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 31, 2003
  12. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Never tried this before. I imagine that the noise will be pretty bad.
    > > But do keep us updated on how it turns out.

    > Noise is negligible (if that's spelled right). I've connected 2 of the 16
    > drives at once and they are near silent (only 5400 RPMs too, so low heat
    > output). The two 23 gig drives I hooked up (they are Seagate ST4 series
    > drives) are quieter than a single IBM 18 GB drive (model number not

    handy).

    Either way, good luck. Besides, even if it's a bit noisy, who cares ;). Do
    you have any plans for it? Or will you just leave it running for fun.

    --Adam

    Adam Steiner, Oct 31, 2003
  13. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > Either way, good luck. Besides, even if it's a bit noisy, who cares
    > ;). Do you have any plans for it? Or will you just leave it running
    > for fun.

    I plan on using the drives as a replacement for the single 80 GB maxtor
    drive that currently is a network share for music and applications. Though
    it is only at 65% full, I would just like to set up a massive 300GB+
    storage dump. If not for having 4x the storage, then for the experience
    and being able to say "Hey, I set up a 16 drive RAID array"

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 31, 2003
  14. DeMoN LaG

    Adam Steiner Guest

    > "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Either way, good luck. Besides, even if it's a bit noisy, who cares
    > > ;). Do you have any plans for it? Or will you just leave it running
    > > for fun.

    > I plan on using the drives as a replacement for the single 80 GB maxtor
    > drive that currently is a network share for music and applications.

    Though
    > it is only at 65% full, I would just like to set up a massive 300GB+
    > storage dump. If not for having 4x the storage, then for the experience
    > and being able to say "Hey, I set up a 16 drive RAID array"

    Sounds great. Are all of the drives the same type? Or just the same size?
    I haven't touched RAID arrays yet, although my curent project involves
    building a computer cluster in my university. We have no clue what we're
    doing with it, but hey, half the fun is building it ;).

    Adam Steiner, Oct 31, 2003
  15. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Adam Steiner" <> wrote in

    > Sounds great. Are all of the drives the same type? Or just the same
    > size? I haven't touched RAID arrays yet, although my curent project
    > involves building a computer cluster in my university. We have no
    > clue what we're doing with it, but hey, half the fun is building it
    > ;).

    Not only are they all the same size, they are all the exact same model.
    Here is a link to their spec sheet:
    http://www.seagate.com/cgi-bin/view.cgi?/scsi/st423451.w

    DeMoN LaG, Oct 31, 2003
  16. DeMoN LaG

    RedBack Guest

    On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 06:50:47 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >"Adam Steiner" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Either way, good luck. Besides, even if it's a bit noisy, who cares
    >> ;). Do you have any plans for it? Or will you just leave it running
    >> for fun.

    >I plan on using the drives as a replacement for the single 80 GB maxtor
    >drive that currently is a network share for music and applications. Though
    >it is only at 65% full, I would just like to set up a massive 300GB+
    >storage dump. If not for having 4x the storage, then for the experience
    >and being able to say "Hey, I set up a 16 drive RAID array"

    Now you're making me jealous...lol
    I say go for it, I believe it's never a waste of time or money if you
    enjoy doing it, it's your time and money :)
    Think of it as a learning experience, which is never a waste as it's
    an asset which no one can take away from you.
    I have a room full of old computers and parts, 15 I got from a medical
    center when they upgraded, some I do up and give away others I just
    strip for parts to sell.
    I have a 5 computers networked, MSDOS, RedHat, Win98, Win2000, and
    XP....Why? because I can :)
    Always something to learn or experiment with.

    Good luck and enjoy.

    RedBack

    RedBack, Oct 31, 2003
  17. DeMoN LaG

    Michael-NC Guest

    Get a bottle of Tylenol. The premise is ridiculous.

    Michael-NC, Nov 1, 2003
  18. DeMoN LaG

    derek / nul Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > As a fun project, I've managed to get 16 SCSI drives from eBay (all
    > working, tested myself) of 23 GB each. I am planning on making a file
    > server out of these drives. I've already got two SCSI controllers for the
    > drives (as well as a SCSI CDROM and two other SCSI drives for other uses in
    > the server), and I'm curious if anyone has done anything similar before.
    > The toughest part I've had so far is finding a way to power the drives,
    > thankfully they will draw a peak of 25.6A on the +12V and 16A on the +5V,
    > and I found a supply that will give 36A on the +12 and 29A on the +5. So
    > power is good. I'm working on an enclosure to house them, and I've got
    > long enough cabling and external hookups for all the drives to connect to
    > and stuff.
    >
    > Basically, has anyone undergone something this massive (and pointless)
    > before, and if so, what pitfalls should I watch for?

    Two scsi controllers won't help much, what you need is a raid 5 controller, then
    you can get a usable system.
    I have a server here with 5 9Gb scsi drives in raid 5. (its a P 133 with 256Mb
    or ram)

    Derek

    derek / nul, Nov 1, 2003
  19. DeMoN LaG

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    derek / nul <> wrote in

    > Two scsi controllers won't help much, what you need is a raid 5
    > controller, then you can get a usable system.
    > I have a server here with 5 9Gb scsi drives in raid 5. (its a P 133
    > with 256Mb or ram)

    A RAID5 controller would be nice, however the OS being installed onto it
    can do software RAID5, which for what I want to do would be fine, I don't
    care about the speed hit, the machine just sits there doing this all day,
    so it needing to use it's CPU cycles for calculating parity information and
    handling the array is not a big deal at all. If it wasn't doing that, it
    would just sit there idling.

    The machine handling this will be one of:
    A Duron 1.2 w/512 megs of RAM
    A Duron 800 w/256 megs of RAM
    A P2 350 w/256 megs of RAM

    The load on the server shouldn't be very large, just 3 or 4 machines
    hitting it for music and movies, some home built applications, roaming
    profiles, etc. Nothing major.

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 1, 2003