    I’m not worried. I’m pretty sure the open-source browsers, at least, will
    offer some way for users to control intrusive content.

    Proprietary browsers, I’m not so sure...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 19, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > Some people are pointing out that, if/when HTML5 replaces Adobe Flash,
    > all
    > those annoying animated ads on Web pages will no longer be tameable
    > via
    > Click To Flash and other such browser plugins, since they will become
    > an
    > integral part of the page.
    >
    > I’m not worried. I’m pretty sure the open-source browsers, at least,
    > will
    > offer some way for users to control intrusive content.
    >
    > Proprietary browsers, I’m not so sure...

    Opera probably would.
    victor, Mar 19, 2010

  3. In message <ho0gq9$gu1$-september.org>, victor wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> I’m not worried. I’m pretty sure the open-source browsers, at least,
    >> will offer some way for users to control intrusive content.
    >>
    >> Proprietary browsers, I’m not so sure...

    > Opera probably would.

    The problem as I see it is the proprietary browser vendors are more likely
    to make cosy deals with parties who would not be happy to see their ads
    blocked.

    Open-source vendors, on the other hand, cannot prevent their users from
    getting access, by whatever means, to features that they want.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 19, 2010
  4. On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 14:27:47 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >Some people are pointing out that, if/when HTML5 replaces Adobe Flash, all
    >those annoying animated ads on Web pages will no longer be tameable via
    >Click To Flash and other such browser plugins, since they will become an
    >integral part of the page.
    >
    >I’m not worried. I’m pretty sure the open-source browsers, at least, will
    >offer some way for users to control intrusive content.
    >
    >Proprietary browsers, I’m not so sure...

    For ad blocking in any browser, try using the Privoxy proxy:

    http://www.privoxy.org

    Its default setup blocks a very large proportion of ads, and you can
    add any others you want to. It also blocks a lot of annoying banners
    too.
    Stephen Worthington, Mar 21, 2010