    Then you win.

    Let us continus the fight.

    p.s. Ms Penguin ancestors said this
    Gordon, Sep 16, 2007

  2. Gordon

    Rhino Guest

    On 16 Sep 2007 05:33:01 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:

    >There was a time when any Linux related posting in this ng had a good chance
    >of someone saying that thr poster should get the hell out of here.
    >
    >The situation now is that some chose to argue that MS Windows, as a OS, is
    >the way to go.

    Way back when I used to access usenet via a *nix shell account (around
    1994) nobody gave a flying f**k what OS you were running. If you
    posted a technical question, most people would respond with good ideas
    and suggestions.

    Over the last few years it seems that the "I have a problem" posts
    have dropped off (as the % of `change to <insert O/S of choice here>'
    type reply increases.) Many posts now just seem to be of the "I will
    knock every other O/S, apart from mine" category.

    Before anyone decides to start a flame war I use MS, Linux and BSD on
    a daily basis in my work.

    Newcomers here must wonder what they have fallen into, although it
    hasn't got as bad as nz.gen (yet!!!!)

    Cheers, Rhino
    Rhino, Sep 16, 2007

  3. Gordon

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:08:54 +1200, Rhino <>
    exclaimed:

    >Before anyone decides to start a flame war I use MS, Linux and BSD on
    >a daily basis in my work.

    You just don't like Macs, clown.
    Fred Dagg, Sep 16, 2007
  4. Gordon

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:45:25 +1200, Fred Dagg <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 18:08:54 +1200, Rhino <>
    >exclaimed:
    >
    >>Before anyone decides to start a flame war I use MS, Linux and BSD on
    >>a daily basis in my work.

    >You just don't like Macs, clown.

    Sorry, forgot the smiley...

    ;-)
    Fred Dagg, Sep 16, 2007
  5. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    Rhino wrote:

    > On 16 Sep 2007 05:33:01 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>There was a time when any Linux related posting in this ng had a good
    >>chance of someone saying that thr poster should get the hell out of here.
    >>
    >>The situation now is that some chose to argue that MS Windows, as a OS, is
    >>the way to go.
    >>

    > Way back when I used to access usenet via a *nix shell account (around
    > 1994) nobody gave a flying f**k what OS you were running. If you
    > posted a technical question, most people would respond with good ideas
    > and suggestions.
    >
    > Over the last few years it seems that the "I have a problem" posts
    > have dropped off (as the % of `change to <insert O/S of choice here>'
    > type reply increases.) Many posts now just seem to be of the "I will
    > knock every other O/S, apart from mine" category.
    >
    > Before anyone decides to start a flame war I use MS, Linux and BSD on
    > a daily basis in my work.
    >
    > Newcomers here must wonder what they have fallen into, although it
    > hasn't got as bad as nz.gen (yet!!!!)
    >
    > Cheers, Rhino

    Indeed. I do find however that when people post a technical question about a
    computer, they neglect to mention what OS it is (or even what software they
    are using). I suppose that's normal when les informed people think their
    particular setup is the same as everyone else's (as if there is no
    alternative).
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 16, 2007
  6. Gordon

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:55:29 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:

    >Indeed. I do find however that when people post a technical question about a
    >computer, they neglect to mention what OS it is (or even what software they
    >are using). I suppose that's normal when les informed people think their
    >particular setup is the same as everyone else's (as if there is no
    >alternative).

    That's because the vast majority (over 90%) of people use Windows. It
    is perfectly reasonable to reasonable people to assume that someone is
    using Windows if they do not specify otherwise.
    Fred Dagg, Sep 17, 2007
  7. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:55:29 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Indeed. I do find however that when people post a technical question about
    >>a computer, they neglect to mention what OS it is (or even what software
    >>they are using). I suppose that's normal when les informed people think
    >>their particular setup is the same as everyone else's (as if there is no
    >>alternative).

    > That's because the vast majority (over 90%) of people use Windows. It
    > is perfectly reasonable to reasonable people to assume that someone is
    > using Windows if they do not specify otherwise.

    That may be true of the general population, but I doubt it's true of the
    population of posters to nz.comp where the question is asked.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 17, 2007
  8. Gordon

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:57:51 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:

    >Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:55:29 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>Indeed. I do find however that when people post a technical question about
    >>>a computer, they neglect to mention what OS it is (or even what software
    >>>they are using). I suppose that's normal when les informed people think
    >>>their particular setup is the same as everyone else's (as if there is no
    >>>alternative).

    >> That's because the vast majority (over 90%) of people use Windows. It
    >> is perfectly reasonable to reasonable people to assume that someone is
    >> using Windows if they do not specify otherwise.

    >That may be true of the general population, but I doubt it's true of the
    >population of posters to nz.comp where the question is asked.

    Whilst there might be a slightly higher proportion of users of other
    OSs here, the fact still remains that when a member of the public asks
    a question in here, and doesn't specify and OS, it is reasonable to
    assume it is Windows.
    Fred Dagg, Sep 17, 2007
  9. Gordon

    Allistar Guest

    Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 11:57:51 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:55:29 +1200, Allistar <> exclaimed:

    >>> That's because the vast majority (over 90%) of people use Windows. It
    >>> is perfectly reasonable to reasonable people to assume that someone is
    >>> using Windows if they do not specify otherwise.

    >>That may be true of the general population, but I doubt it's true of the
    >>population of posters to nz.comp where the question is asked.

    > Whilst there might be a slightly higher proportion of users of other
    > OSs here, the fact still remains that when a member of the public asks
    > a question in here, and doesn't specify and OS, it is reasonable to
    > assume it is Windows.

    Isn't everyone here a "member of the public". While it's accepted that most
    people here use some version of Windows, often the question could apply
    equally to any operating system.
    --
    A.
    Allistar, Sep 17, 2007
  10. Gordon

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Rhino <> wrote in

    > On 16 Sep 2007 05:33:01 GMT, Gordon <> wrote:
    >
    >>There was a time when any Linux related posting in this ng had a good
    >>chance of someone saying that thr poster should get the hell out of
    >>here.
    >>
    >>The situation now is that some chose to argue that MS Windows, as a
    >>OS, is the way to go.
    >>

    > Way back when I used to access usenet via a *nix shell account (around
    > 1994) nobody gave a flying f**k what OS you were running. If you
    > posted a technical question, most people would respond with good ideas
    > and suggestions.

    That still happens

    > Over the last few years it seems that the "I have a problem" posts
    > have dropped off (as the % of `change to <insert O/S of choice here>'
    > type reply increases.) Many posts now just seem to be of the "I will
    > knock every other O/S, apart from mine" category.
    >
    > Before anyone decides to start a flame war I use MS, Linux and BSD on
    > a daily basis in my work.
    >
    > Newcomers here must wonder what they have fallen into, although it
    > hasn't got as bad as nz.gen (yet!!!!)

    I was on nz.gen for about a wekk, before I relaized it was completely
    unreasonable flame wars.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Sep 17, 2007
  11. Gordon

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <>,
    Rhino <> wrote:
    >Way back when I used to access usenet via a *nix shell account (around
    >1994) nobody gave a flying f**k what OS you were running. If you
    >posted a technical question, most people would respond with good ideas
    >and suggestions.
    >
    >Over the last few years it seems that the "I have a problem" posts
    >have dropped off (as the % of `change to <insert O/S of choice here>'
    >type reply increases.) Many posts now just seem to be of the "I will
    >knock every other O/S, apart from mine" category.

    See here for a likely reason:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_September

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"
    Don Hills, Sep 17, 2007