Those peski manufacturers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Canongirly, Aug 21, 2004.

  1. Canongirly

    Canongirly Guest

    When I was little I saved up my pocket money to buy a copy of the
    Beano...and by the time I had enough ...they'd brought out a new edition.

    When I was in my teens I saved and saved to buy a copy of Rainbow's "Rising"
    album and guess what..by the time I had enough they had not only brought out
    a new album, but disbanded!

    Then I saved and saved again to buy a Ford car....and by the time I had
    enough they'd brought out a newer and dearer model.

    Now don't even get me started about digital cameras....every time I have
    enough dosh together those peski manufacturers have brought out a newer
    higher spec'd model. Will this cycle of consumer frustration ever end????

    Oh yeah....I remember I DON'T CARE.

    A camera is a tool. It doesn't matter who makes it, what the model is, it's
    a tool. It does a job, they all do it. A camera, any camera, is only as
    "good" as the twonk using it.

    So please, pretty please with lots of sugar on top, can we get away from
    these dumb posts about how Canon are scum for releasing a new this or that,
    Nikon are losers for playing catch up (by the way they were the first to
    market a reasonably priced ...that is under £20,000.... D-SLR, the D1 in
    2000), and Sigma are just rubbish or not, and get back to posts about how to
    do stuff with these cameras instead?

    And as a general rule of thumb...the answer to "Which camera/lens/flash
    should I buy" is either...
    1 Ask your parent/guardian/carer to up your meds. or
    2. The one you understand, can use, feel comfortable with, and can afford.
    Canongirly, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Canongirly

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Canongirly" <> wrote in message
    > When I was little I saved up my pocket money to buy a copy of the
    > Beano...and by the time I had enough ...they'd brought out a new edition.
    >
    > When I was in my teens I saved and saved to buy a copy of Rainbow's

    "Rising"
    > album and guess what..by the time I had enough they had not only brought

    out
    > a new album, but disbanded!
    >
    > Then I saved and saved again to buy a Ford car....and by the time I had
    > enough they'd brought out a newer and dearer model.
    >
    > Now don't even get me started about digital cameras....every time I have
    > enough dosh together those peski manufacturers have brought out a newer
    > higher spec'd model. Will this cycle of consumer frustration ever end????
    >
    > Oh yeah....I remember I DON'T CARE.
    >
    > A camera is a tool. It doesn't matter who makes it, what the model is,

    it's
    > a tool. It does a job, they all do it. A camera, any camera, is only as
    > "good" as the twonk using it.
    >
    > So please, pretty please with lots of sugar on top, can we get away from
    > these dumb posts about how Canon are scum for releasing a new this or

    that,
    > Nikon are losers for playing catch up (by the way they were the first to
    > market a reasonably priced ...that is under £20,000.... D-SLR, the D1 in
    > 2000), and Sigma are just rubbish or not, and get back to posts about how

    > do stuff with these cameras instead?
    >
    > And as a general rule of thumb...the answer to "Which camera/lens/flash
    > should I buy" is either...
    > 1 Ask your parent/guardian/carer to up your meds. or
    > 2. The one you understand, can use, feel comfortable with, and can afford.

    I concur, whilst A Adams was making his detailed observations and prints, E
    Weston was using an old 10 x 8 and all he ever had in his darkroom was four
    dishes, a light bulb on a flex with some washing pegs to shorten it, few
    card dodgers and a contact printing frame.

    Purely my personal opinion of course but I consider Weston to be a
    Photographer and Adams to be recorder who just happened to live where he
    did.

    Jem
    Jem Raid, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Canongirly

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    What is a "peski"? Who makes it? Where can I buy it? How much?
    Phil Wheeler, Aug 21, 2004
  4. I think you have your share of "peski" already

    Gene Palmiter, Aug 21, 2004
  5. Canongirly

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Jem Raid wrote:
    > "Canongirly" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>When I was little I saved up my pocket money to buy a copy of the
    >>Beano...and by the time I had enough ...they'd brought out a new edition.
    >>
    >>When I was in my teens I saved and saved to buy a copy of Rainbow's

    > "Rising"
    >
    >>album and guess what..by the time I had enough they had not only brought

    > out
    >
    >>a new album, but disbanded!
    >>
    >>Then I saved and saved again to buy a Ford car....and by the time I had
    >>enough they'd brought out a newer and dearer model.
    >>
    >>Now don't even get me started about digital cameras....every time I have
    >>enough dosh together those peski manufacturers have brought out a newer
    >>higher spec'd model. Will this cycle of consumer frustration ever end????
    >>
    >>Oh yeah....I remember I DON'T CARE.
    >>
    >>A camera is a tool. It doesn't matter who makes it, what the model is,

    > it's
    >
    >>a tool. It does a job, they all do it. A camera, any camera, is only as
    >>"good" as the twonk using it.
    >>
    >>So please, pretty please with lots of sugar on top, can we get away from
    >>these dumb posts about how Canon are scum for releasing a new this or

    > that,
    >
    >>Nikon are losers for playing catch up (by the way they were the first to
    >>market a reasonably priced ...that is under £20,000.... D-SLR, the D1 in
    >>2000), and Sigma are just rubbish or not, and get back to posts about how

    >>do stuff with these cameras instead?
    >>
    >>And as a general rule of thumb...the answer to "Which camera/lens/flash
    >>should I buy" is either...
    >>1 Ask your parent/guardian/carer to up your meds. or
    >>2. The one you understand, can use, feel comfortable with, and can afford.
    >>

    > I concur, whilst A Adams was making his detailed observations and prints, E
    > Weston was using an old 10 x 8 and all he ever had in his darkroom was four
    > dishes, a light bulb on a flex with some washing pegs to shorten it, few
    > card dodgers and a contact printing frame.
    >
    > Purely my personal opinion of course but I consider Weston to be a
    > Photographer and Adams to be recorder who just happened to live where he
    > did.
    >
    > Jem

    I'm not at all familiar with Weston, but I do have A.Adams three
    books on photography (the camera, the negative, and the print).
    I'd hardly think Adams wasn't a photographer as he was quite
    an authority on the entire B&W photographic process. If you
    want to learn how to get the most out of processing and printing
    B&W film those three books are a must for your library.

    On the other hand, if your comments are about the pictures
    Adams published vs the work of Weston, that is another matter.
    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  6. Canongirly

    Jem Raid Guest

    "Ken Scharf" <> wrote in message
    > Jem Raid wrote:
    > > "Canongirly" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>When I was little I saved up my pocket money to buy a copy of the
    > >>Beano...and by the time I had enough ...they'd brought out a new

    edition.

    > >>When I was in my teens I saved and saved to buy a copy of Rainbow's

    > > "Rising"
    > >
    > >>album and guess what..by the time I had enough they had not only brought

    > > out
    > >
    > >>a new album, but disbanded!
    > >>
    > >>Then I saved and saved again to buy a Ford car....and by the time I had
    > >>enough they'd brought out a newer and dearer model.
    > >>
    > >>Now don't even get me started about digital cameras....every time I have
    > >>enough dosh together those peski manufacturers have brought out a newer
    > >>higher spec'd model. Will this cycle of consumer frustration ever

    end????

    > >>Oh yeah....I remember I DON'T CARE.
    > >>
    > >>A camera is a tool. It doesn't matter who makes it, what the model is,

    > > it's
    > >
    > >>a tool. It does a job, they all do it. A camera, any camera, is only as
    > >>"good" as the twonk using it.
    > >>
    > >>So please, pretty please with lots of sugar on top, can we get away from
    > >>these dumb posts about how Canon are scum for releasing a new this or

    > > that,
    > >
    > >>Nikon are losers for playing catch up (by the way they were the first to
    > >>market a reasonably priced ...that is under £20,000.... D-SLR, the D1 in
    > >>2000), and Sigma are just rubbish or not, and get back to posts about

    how

    > >>do stuff with these cameras instead?
    > >>
    > >>And as a general rule of thumb...the answer to "Which camera/lens/flash
    > >>should I buy" is either...
    > >>1 Ask your parent/guardian/carer to up your meds. or
    > >>2. The one you understand, can use, feel comfortable with, and can

    afford.

    > > I concur, whilst A Adams was making his detailed observations and

    prints, E
    > > Weston was using an old 10 x 8 and all he ever had in his darkroom was

    four
    > > dishes, a light bulb on a flex with some washing pegs to shorten it, few
    > > card dodgers and a contact printing frame.
    > >
    > > Purely my personal opinion of course but I consider Weston to be a
    > > Photographer and Adams to be recorder who just happened to live where he
    > > did.
    > >
    > > Jem
    > >

    > I'm not at all familiar with Weston, but I do have A.Adams three
    > books on photography (the camera, the negative, and the print).
    > I'd hardly think Adams wasn't a photographer as he was quite
    > an authority on the entire B&W photographic process. If you
    > want to learn how to get the most out of processing and printing
    > B&W film those three books are a must for your library.
    >
    > On the other hand, if your comments are about the pictures
    > Adams published vs the work of Weston, that is another matter.

    They were Ken and you said yourself that he was an authority and not a
    Photographer (note the capital 'P') whereas Weston was.
    Jem Raid, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Canongirly

    Jem Raid Guest

    > What is a "peski"? Who makes it? Where can I buy it? How much?

    It was one of those agricultural cameras the Soviet Union used to make,
    agricultural because you could run them over with your tractor and they'd
    still work.

    Jem
    Jem Raid, Aug 21, 2004