    I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    buy another yet just for this reason.
    I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    Matty F, Aug 24, 2009

  2. Matty F wrote:

    > I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
    > that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
    > On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
    > I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    > buy another yet just for this reason.
    > I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    The Thompson modem/router cares not what you run.
    Just plug it in to the ethernet port and go.

    The Win2k, XP etc. on the box is just for the bundle of crap on the CD that
    you really should avoid at all costs.

    Fred the Fish, Aug 24, 2009

  3. Matty F

    Kiwiboy Guest

    On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <> wrote:
    > I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
    > that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
    > On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
    > I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    > buy another yet just for this reason.
    > I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it
    Cheers

    Kiwiboy, Aug 25, 2009
  4. Matty F

    Matty F Guest

    On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    > On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
    > > that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
    > > On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
    > > I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    > > buy another yet just for this reason.
    > > I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    > It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

    How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
    install something on my Win98 machine?

    Matty F, Aug 25, 2009
  5. Matty F

    Richard Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    >> On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
    >>> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
    >>> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
    >>> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    >>> buy another yet just for this reason.
    >>> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    >> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

    > How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
    > install something on my Win98 machine?

    Same as every other router - you use its web interface to enter a long
    alphnumeric key in the field and set it to WPA2 - and set your computer
    up the same.

    If your obsolete operating system doesnt support WPA2 then you can back
    down to WEP which it will support, but that is pretty trivial to crack.
    It will keep the neighbors kids off it tho.

    Richard, Aug 25, 2009
  6. Matty F

    EMB Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > On Aug 25, 2:36 pm, Kiwiboy <> wrote:
    >> On 24 Aug, 22:25, Matty F <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have a D-Link DSL-302G modem running fine on Wn98SE. Is it possible
    >>> that a Thomson wireless modem tg585v7 will run on Win98SE via a cable?
    >>> On the box it says Windows 2000 XP, Vista.
    >>> I don't think this computer is big enough to run XP and I'd rather not
    >>> buy another yet just for this reason.
    >>> I will sometimes have a laptop using wireless.

    >> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

    > How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
    > install something on my Win98 machine?

    The wireless part that needs a WPA key (password) is completely seperate
    to the wired (ie connected by cable) part. You do not need any password
    on the cable connected Win98 Machine.

    As for the wireless side, you need to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption and
    pick a suitably unguessable password. Something like the names of your
    kids separated by various symbols would probably be ok.

    EMB, Aug 25, 2009
  7. In message <h70ehf$jre$>, Richard wrote:

    > Matty F wrote:
    >
    >> How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth ...

    > Same as every other router - you use its web interface to enter a long
    > alphnumeric key in the field and set it to WPA2 ...

    Make sure you use AES encryption, not TKIP.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 25, 2009
  8. Matty F

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <h70hkr$rvi$>, says...
    > Matty F wrote:

    > >> It sure does - I have used a Win 98 machine with it

    > > How do I put a password in to stop others using my bandwidth, unless I
    > > install something on my Win98 machine?

    > The wireless part that needs a WPA key (password) is completely seperate
    > to the wired (ie connected by cable) part. You do not need any password
    > on the cable connected Win98 Machine.
    >
    > As for the wireless side, you need to enable WPA or WPA2 encryption and
    > pick a suitably unguessable password. Something like the names of your
    > kids separated by various symbols would probably be ok.

    I use a phrase (any ol' sentence) - taking the first character of each
    word. And the (example only) I commonly use is:
    The News starts at 6 O'clock
    which gives a password of: TNs@6O'c (8 chars)

    That makes an great logon password. But for WPA/WPA2 passwords, I
    recommend the entire phrase (obviously, a different one from the logon).
    The reason is that a logon password (which I think a minimum of 7 chars
    is ok), is not anywhere near long enough for a wireless password.

    These are easy to remember.

    So (using the same example (not recommemded)), the wirless password
    could be:
    TheNewsStarts@6O'clockandisoneveryday (37 chars)

    As to the OP's question about security on the Win98 PC that is wired.
    Well, that's where the logon password comes into effect (lock the PC
    when yer away from it, or logoff).

    --
    Duncan

    Dave Doe, Aug 26, 2009