Thomson books on 2000 Server and XP Pro for MCSE - Good?

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Erik Molstad, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Erik Molstad

    Erik Molstad Guest

    Hello, I'm taking a course at a local college and the text required are

    MCSE Guide To Microsoft Windows 2000 Server Certification Edition
    and
    MCSE Guide to Microsoft Windows XP Professional

    I would really appreciate opinions on these books and also their competitors
    from Sybex and Coriolis...or others.

    Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
    info and that is also
    an enjoyable read. I guess I might have been spoiled by Meyer's All In One
    Guide for A+.

    Thank you very much!

    Erik Molstad
    A+
    Erik Molstad, Sep 17, 2003

  2. circa Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:27:00 GMT, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Erik Molstad ()
    said,
    > Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
    > info

    Bummer. Those are the kinds of books I like.

    Laura
    --
    I am Dyslexia of Borg,
    Your ass will be laminated.
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 17, 2003

  3. Erik Molstad

    KLXrider Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:27:00 GMT, "Erik Molstad" <>
    wrote:

    >I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
    >info

    They are technical books....you will only find technical info in them.

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18
    KLXrider, Sep 17, 2003
  4. circa Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:03:48 GMT, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Erik Molstad ()
    said,
    > Thanks for your response...? ;)
    >
    > What I'm refering to is how Sybex books, as I've found from user reviews
    > usually are more "to the point" for studying for the exam, they're less of a
    > complete reference as other books are.
    > I'll always want a very comprehensive book on hand, but for studying the
    > MCSE objectives there might be something more efficient.

    Ah, okay.

    > I'm wondering if anyone who feels Sybex, Coriolis or others are more
    > "efficient" in that way.
    > Thank you

    Well, I'm still the wrong person to ask. :)

    Laura
    --
    The tendency of an event to occur varies inversely with one's
    preparation for it.
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Erik Molstad

    Erik Molstad Guest

    For reference use, yes I couldn't agree more.

    Erik Molstad, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Erik Molstad

    Kendal Emery Guest

    > Basically, I'm hoping to find a book that doesn't include excess technical
    > info and that is also

    Does that scare anybody else????

    Systems Administrator
    Coordinated Home Care

    remove me to email to me
    Kendal Emery, Sep 17, 2003
  7. I was going to suggest "MCSE for Dummies".
    I believe it is still in print and can be found on Amazon.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 17, 2003
  8. Erik Molstad

    Erik Molstad Guest

    Kendal and Glen,
    I don't want to be a paper MCSE. Wasn't trying to scare anybody. :)

    I can say though that I read Mike Meyer's A+ All In One Guide cover to
    cover, took the tests, got very high scores and have the A+ title. The
    knowledge I have goes way beyond what the A+ cert implies to employers. The
    knowledge someone would have after reading 1000 pages on 2000 Server, in my
    opinion is far beyond the level of knowledge tested to gain MCP status.
    Yes I do have job experience, and college training.

    MCSE for Dummies is not what I'm looking for. If that's the only other
    option (which I don't think it is) I'll stick with the Thomson books.

    Erik Molstad, Sep 17, 2003
  9. Erik Molstad

    KLXrider Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 17:03:48 GMT, "Erik Molstad" <>
    wrote:

    >What I'm refering to is how Sybex books, as I've found from user reviews
    >usually are more "to the point" for studying for the exam, they're less of a
    >complete reference as other books are.

    Most of the books that are titled "MCSE" or "MCP" will only prepare
    you for the exam. They are in fact fairly useless in the day-to-day
    activities of a network admin.

    If you want well rounded reference books I would take a look at the
    "Mastering" series written by Mark Minasi and published by Sybex.

    KLXrider, MCNGP #18
    KLXrider, Sep 17, 2003
  10. Erik Molstad

    noone Guest

    let's see now....a study guide for MCSE that is not too
    heavy on the technical stuff and an easy read; these
    items go together the same way as Microsoft "Works".
    I've been an MCSE for 6 yrs (NT & 2000) and have yet to
    find an effective book that has less than about 1800
    pages of not to easy reading and is crammed full of
    technical stuff and labs and questions. I dunno, but
    seems to me that if you want to be an MCSE, you're gonna
    have to weed your way through all that techno stuff and
    get in to some pretty serious heavy reading...not to
    mention setting up a home client/server network and
    WORKING with the product. If it were as easy as you want
    it to be, there'd be 100 million MCSE's in the world. As
    it is, we are glutted with too many who have found that
    easy non-technical read...but they can't function in the
    real world! With apologies for the bluntness....dig in
    and do it right!

    noone, Sep 17, 2003
  11. I was pleased with the exam cram books in conjunction with the MCSE training
    books.
    Both are equivalent but reading both was very useful.
    Don't even think about not doing every lab suggested. They are critical.
    Glenn

    Glenn D. Crosse, Sep 17, 2003
  12. Erik Molstad

    Erik Molstad Guest

    To all,

    I did not say I wanted an "easy read" or that I didn't want technical
    information.

    Yeah, I know. Hard work, and technical knowledge for an MCSE. Gee who'd
    have thought?
    I suggest that people should not twist people's words around here. I was
    only looking for a book that stuck to the exam's objectives. I'm taking
    coursework and I have job experience to back up what I read in these books
    so I don't get certification papers that future employers or clients will
    want to wipe their arses with.

    I just got back from the bookstore where I researched all the options for
    myself.
    Next time, I'll remember to do only that instead of asking about certain
    books here.

    Erik Molstad, Sep 18, 2003