This will make you all happy MS Lunix..

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Gregory Parker, Nov 21, 2003.

    1. Advertising

  1. Brett Roberts, Nov 21, 2003

  2. On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:05:33 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    <> wrote:

    >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646
    >>

    >this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have been
    >a quiet IT news day somewhere :)

    I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    Gregory Parker, Nov 21, 2003
  3. Gregory  Parker

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:26:31 +1300, Gregory Parker wrote:

    > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    And how was that ludicrously uninformed piece of guesswork supposed to
    wind anyone up? Your trolling abilities haven't been the best lately -
    maybe you should see a doctor?

    Anyway, to add my POV of the linked article...

    In my mind there are three possible reasons why MS would license UNIX code
    from SCO. Two are straight forward, and the other other falls into the
    paranoid conspiracy camp.

    1) It is no secret that there is BSD and GPL code in MS Services For Unix.
    MS would probably just like to reassure customers that all the code in SFU
    is licensed properly and they won't get into trouble using it.

    2) MS really does want to improve interoperability features in SFU that
    require code from SCO. This is one publicly stated reason.

    3) It's a backhanded way of funding the SCO jihad against IBM and Linux
    without getting blood on their hands.

    Number 1 seems plausible, although MS did seem a little eager to spend the
    money before or even if it was actually needed. And I don't think there is
    any Linux kernel code in SFU?

    Number 2 seems strange because SCO has nothing of any real value these
    days. Better code exists elsewhere.

    I don't think number 3 is that relevant, and probably only really cropped
    up because of the aspects of 1 & 2 that don't make complete sense. At best
    it would be a welcome side effect rather than the main reason I reckon.

    But as for 'analysts' guessing MS licensing UNIX code from SCO to include
    Linux in their own OS - come on, that has to be drug induced
    hallucinations.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 21, 2003
  4. Gregory  Parker

    steve Guest

    Gregory Parker allegedly said:

    > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    Correction: freedom lovers.

    --
    Best Regards,
    Steve Withers

    steve, Nov 21, 2003
  5. Gregory  Parker

    Steven H Guest

    In article <%uhvb.8759$>,
    says...
    > Gregory Parker allegedly said:
    >

    > > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    > Correction: freedom lovers.

    so you admit it - you hate Microsoft

    how mature

    there only a company out to make some money - and before you get on your
    soap box and preach Open Standards take a gander @

    http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/default.mspx

    guiess what - the great satan that is Microsoft are opening up their
    Office 2003 File Standard

    Steven H

    Steven H, Nov 21, 2003
  6. Gregory  Parker

    harry Guest

    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:05:33 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646
    > >>

    > >this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have

    been
    > >a quiet IT news day somewhere :)
    > >

    > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    Theres only about 2 or 3 of them and they still use Windows

    harry, Nov 21, 2003
  7. Gregory  Parker

    Allistar Guest

    Allistar, Nov 21, 2003
  8. Gregory  Parker

    Max Burke Guest

    > Allistar scribbled:

    >> Gregory Parker wrote:
    >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646

    > Ironic that that site is running:
    > Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
    > mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

    Why is that Ironic?

    Anyone who tells you, or tries to convince you that their favorite operating
    system is somehow immune to market forces, human error, and plain malice, is
    doing both you and the operating system they espouse a disservice.
    http://www.informationweek.com/story/IWK20030124S0013/5

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Nov 21, 2003
  9. Gregory  Parker

    harry Guest

    "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote in message
    > > Allistar scribbled:

    > >> Gregory Parker wrote:
    > >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646

    > > Ironic that that site is running:
    > > Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
    > > mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

    > Why is that Ironic?

    Thats it Max, help Roger out, he needs it. ;-)

    harry, Nov 21, 2003
  10. Gregory  Parker

    pete Guest

    "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > In article <%uhvb.8759$>,
    > says...
    > > Gregory Parker allegedly said:
    > >

    > > > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    > > Correction: freedom lovers.

    > so you admit it - you hate Microsoft
    >
    > how mature
    >

    > there only a company out to make some money - and before you get on your
    > soap box and preach Open Standards take a gander @
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/default.mspx
    >
    > guiess what - the great satan that is Microsoft are opening up their
    > Office 2003 File Standard

    Aw shucks, they're really nice - for now. Maybe later they'll be like this:
    Its not just "some money" that Bill wants, its "all the money"

    pete, Nov 21, 2003
  11. Gregory  Parker

    dOTdASH Guest

    "pete" <> wrote in message

    > "Steven H" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <%uhvb.8759$>,
    > > says...

    > > > Correction: freedom lovers.

    > > so you admit it - you hate Microsoft
    > >
    > > how mature
    > >

    > > there only a company out to make some money - and before you get on your
    > > soap box and preach Open Standards take a gander @
    > >
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/office/xml/default.mspx
    > >
    > > guiess what - the great satan that is Microsoft are opening up their
    > > Office 2003 File Standard

    > Aw shucks, they're really nice - for now. Maybe later they'll be like

    this:
    > http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20031120.html
    > Its not just "some money" that Bill wants, its "all the money"

    Cringley lost it ages ago. He's bitter and twisted that boy.

    dOTdASH, Nov 21, 2003
  12. Gregory  Parker

    T.N.O. Guest

    steve wrote:
    >>I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    > Correction: freedom lovers.

    Makes you sound like a bunch of hippies :)

    T.N.O., Nov 21, 2003
  13. Gregory  Parker

    MTB Guest

    > On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 14:05:33 +1300, "Brett Roberts"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >"Gregory Parker" <> wrote in message
    > >>

    > >> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646
    > >>

    > >this story pops up in various forms every 6 months or so, it must have

    been
    > >a quiet IT news day somewhere :)
    > >

    > I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    and because you're a fuckwit who likes the sounf of his own voice (troll)

    get a life, ignoramus.

    MTB, Nov 21, 2003
  14. Gregory  Parker

    Bret Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:27:02 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >If there's any possible irony it's Woger hanging out at a site by AMD
    >loving (and sponsored by AMD also) 'stupid teenagers' - maybe Woger is
    >actually a closet AMD fanboy doing reverse psychology anti Intel
    >advocacy. That could also mean that Woger is a Lunix fan too! Shock,
    >horror!! We've been duped!

    And Lenier works for MS, and is doing a great job.

    Bret, Nov 21, 2003
  15. Gregory  Parker

    Allistar Guest

    Max Burke wrote:

    >> Allistar scribbled:

    >>> Gregory Parker wrote:
    >>> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646

    >> Ironic that that site is running:
    >> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
    >> mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

    > Why is that Ironic?

    Because Woger was using a site to piss on Linux without realising that the
    very same site is being hosted on a Linux box.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Nov 21, 2003
  16. Gregory  Parker

    Max Burke Guest

    > Allistar scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> Gregory Parker wrote:
    >>> http://www.m3dzone.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3646

    >>> Ironic that that site is running:
    >>> Apache/1.3.27 (Unix) Debian GNU/Linux PHP/4.1.2 mod_fastcgi/2.2.10
    >>> mod_perl/1.27 on Linux

    >> Why is that Ironic?

    > Because Woger was using a site to piss on Linux without realising
    > that the very same site is being hosted on a Linux box.

    Gee, I thought he was using the *news article* at the provided link to do
    that...... ;-)
    Thanks for pointing out my 'error' and your perseverance in providing these
    'corrections' that we all *obviously* need to be made aware of.......

    ROTFLOL

    Max Burke, Nov 22, 2003
  17. On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:03:23 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz> wrote:

    >> Allistar scribbled:

    >>> Why is that Ironic?

    >> Because Woger was using a site to piss on Linux without realising
    >> that the very same site is being hosted on a Linux box.

    >Gee, I thought he was using the *news article* at the provided link to do
    >that...... ;-)
    >Thanks for pointing out my 'error' and your perseverance in providing these
    >'corrections' that we all *obviously* need to be made aware of.......
    >
    >ROTFLOL

    What a load of Wankers you are, this Article is being posted on a number of
    Web sites.

    Gregory Parker, Nov 22, 2003
  18. Gregory  Parker

    AD. Guest

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 13:03:23 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >>> Why is that Ironic?

    >> Because Woger was using a site to piss on Linux without realising that
    >> the very same site is being hosted on a Linux box.

    > Gee, I thought he was using the *news article* at the provided link to do
    > that...... ;-)

    Even then the article doesn't actually 'piss on Linux', it's just a bunch
    of wild speculation about why MS licensed Unix code from SCO.

    I have to agree with Max though - I see no irony in the site using Linux.

    If there's any possible irony it's Woger hanging out at a site by AMD
    loving (and sponsored by AMD also) 'stupid teenagers' - maybe Woger is
    actually a closet AMD fanboy doing reverse psychology anti Intel
    advocacy. That could also mean that Woger is a Lunix fan too! Shock,
    horror!! We've been duped!

    ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Nov 22, 2003
  19. Gregory  Parker

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 23:25:08 +1300, T.N.O. wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >>>I just posted it as a Windup for all these MS haters.

    >> Correction: freedom lovers.

    > Makes you sound like a bunch of hippies :)

    Or redneck good ol' boys with gun racks in their pickup trucks and stars
    and stripes bumper stickers.

    Or maybe not :)

    Cheers
    Anton