This weekend's viewing

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Goro, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Goro

    Goro Guest

    Watched a mess of movies on DVD this weekend, some of which I didn't
    finsih.

    PENGUINS - pretty damb awesome. It was so amazingly easy to transfer
    human emotions onto these penguins. I felt like "hey, my lifeain't so
    bad!"

    MURDERBALL - kind of interesting but never really engaged me. Quad
    Rugby looks cool, but there was little discussion about the game
    itself, what strategies there are, why the US and Canada were so
    dominant, etc. Main chars were all dickheads so it's not like I had
    any sympathy/empathy for them.

    BROTHERS GRIMM - I couldn't finish this. After about 30min or so, I
    just gave up. Some very cool visuals but it was just so infantile in
    many ways.

    SERENITY - I'm not a Wil Whedon-ite. I liked Buffy ok, but there's
    something about Whedon's dialogue that just drives me batty. I never
    did really like FIREFLY, but i gave this a watch anyway. I liked the
    storyline, I liked the effects for the most part. Hated the
    characters, hated the humor, hated the dialogue. I lasted about 1hr.
    Since the parts i hated are what many cite as reasons to love it, this
    may say momre about me than the movie.

    CINDERELLA MAN - MoviePig was pretty correct. it was a very good
    movie, i suppose, although ultimately a bit hollow. I don't llike
    Zelwagger but her performance was excellent, a totally transparent
    performance (where the character shows thru with little interference by
    the actor herself). Also amazing was Paul Giamatti, although he had
    too many "Now jsut kill this guy" lines during the ultimate fight.
    Crowe was very good if not entirely transparent and the char himself
    was drawn as too one-note to really resonate. It was engaging and
    enjoyable to watch; the emphasis on the family life and the effect of
    the depression was very powerful, but much breadth of story seemed cut
    off. Of course at a 2:20 orso running time, that's not surprisng. I
    liked it ok, didn't love it. I still rank CRYING FIST above this
    (although by now, you're likely tired of hearing about that).

    MR HOUSEWIFE - Nice Dram/Com, kind of MR. MOM crossed with TOOTSIE.
    Was too silly/slapstick at times fo rthe overall toneand lost some of
    the effect of the strong message. Overall, was solid, but could have
    been really excellent. Wife had little to do except be (kindof) a
    bitch. Everything felt sort of flat. No real depth to anything.

    AEON FLUX - Ugh. It really IS that bad. Charlize LOOKS great in the
    part, but can't bring much to the role. just b/c she's a great actress
    doesn't mean she can portray every role well and this really wasn't a
    mathc for her. Story was all over the place and at times ridiculous,
    although there were some interesting parts, they were glossed and
    tossed. vIsually derivative and this really begged for a director (and
    cinematographer/art director) who had visual strength (iain softley
    would have been good, i thnk, as well as Proyas). Action sequences
    ewre gawdawful as rapid cuts that might give Michael Bay and Ryuhei
    Kitamura fits made all action nonsensical. SO much to pick apart, so
    little to enjoy.

    NEIGHBOR 13 - Oh dear lord. really fscked up and bizarre and cool
    suspense/revenge/horror. The openeing sequence is particularly
    mesmerziing. i love alot about this movie.

    LAST LOVE, FIRST LOVE - Sollid romantic drama that is undercut by many
    perfunctory "we're falling in love" scenes. Scenes don't follow
    naturally and feel forced. Latter scenes once the couple have met are
    more acceptable. Solid, but could have been great.

    JUST LIKE HEAVEN - Oh yes, exactly what you'd think it would befrom the
    trailer. From the trailer, you can almost write the screenplay and it
    would be at least as good as this movie. Very formulaic. Very direct.
    Not much going on. No chemistry b/w the two leads.
    NapoleonDynamite's scenes were the best ones and they weren't even that
    good.

    And then I saw NARNIA at the beauteous Harkins CineCapri 70' screen. I
    agree with all who say it was beautiful but hollow. Kids movie. No
    subtley, no complexity, no real depth. Puerile and invasive score that
    blatantly told you how you were supposed to feel. Poor acting by the
    kids. Strange formality to everyone's acting kept everything at the
    surface level. No depth of story, aproblem with the source material,
    but still... Santa giving the kids weaponry was a bit... odd. The
    aggrandizement and near celebration of War was a bit odd as well.
    Granted it was a Just War, but still. White Witch was very good. Some
    of the visuals, esp. during the battle, were wonderful. I'm not likely
    to go see the next entries unless there's a new director.

    -goro-

    Goro, Dec 12, 2005

  2. Goro wrote:

    > Watched a mess of movies on DVD this weekend, some of which I didn't
    > finsih.
    >
    > PENGUINS - pretty damb awesome. It was so amazingly easy to transfer
    > human emotions onto these penguins. I felt like "hey, my lifeain't so
    > bad!"

    "The filmmakers researched by spending several months in the Antarctic
    living like penguins--and, consequently, *dying* like penguins, only
    much faster...Proving that the penguin is a clever little sod in his own
    environment."

    Derek Janssen (with noted apologies to Python)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Goro

    biold0 Guest

    > AEON FLUX - Ugh. It really IS that bad.

    No kidding. I only saw 5 minutes of it because I was waiting for
    another movie and it was more than enough. Only thing it had in common
    with the original animated series was the name.

    Joe

    biold0, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Goro

    moviePig Guest

    Goro wrote:
    > Watched a mess of movies on DVD this weekend, some of which I didn't
    > finsih.

    > MURDERBALL - kind of interesting but never really engaged me. Quad
    > Rugby looks cool, but there was little discussion about the game
    > itself, what strategies there are, why the US and Canada were so
    > dominant, etc. Main chars were all dickheads so it's not like I had
    > any sympathy/empathy for them.

    Yeah, interesting and watchable... but I think the over-the-top reviews
    (percentages, anyway) reflect a distorting caution re the handicapped.
    The movie's truly fascinating point about the sport's violence and
    intensity didn't warrant feature-length.

    > BROTHERS GRIMM - I couldn't finish this. After about 30min or so, I
    > just gave up. Some very cool visuals but it was just so infantile in
    > many ways.

    Didn't think it was *that* big a yawner. Otoh, I'll finish almost
    anything...

    > SERENITY - I'm not a Wil Whedon-ite. I liked Buffy ok, but there's
    > something about Whedon's dialogue that just drives me batty. I never
    > did really like FIREFLY, but i gave this a watch anyway. I liked the
    > storyline, I liked the effects for the most part. Hated the
    > characters, hated the humor, hated the dialogue. I lasted about 1hr.
    > Since the parts i hated are what many cite as reasons to love it, this
    > may say momre about me than the movie.

    Never watched Firefly or Buffy to speak of, and liked SERENITY's humor.
    (Liked its production "efficiency", too. Wish more movies were made
    with narrative, rather than eye-candy, as the objective.)

    > CINDERELLA MAN - MoviePig was pretty correct. it was a very good
    > movie, i suppose, although ultimately a bit hollow. I don't llike
    > Zelwagger but her performance was excellent, a totally transparent
    > performance (where the character shows thru with little interference by
    > the actor herself). Also amazing was Paul Giamatti, although he had
    > too many "Now jsut kill this guy" lines during the ultimate fight.
    > Crowe was very good if not entirely transparent and the char himself
    > was drawn as too one-note to really resonate. It was engaging and
    > enjoyable to watch; the emphasis on the family life and the effect of
    > the depression was very powerful, but much breadth of story seemed cut
    > off. Of course at a 2:20 orso running time, that's not surprisng. I
    > liked it ok, didn't love it. I still rank CRYING FIST above this
    > (although by now, you're likely tired of hearing about that).

    Agreed about Giamatti, btw. CM and the likes of SIDEWAYS make him a
    must-see (although I fear for his safety at Shyamalan's hands).

    > And then I saw NARNIA at the beauteous Harkins CineCapri 70' screen. I
    > agree with all who say it was beautiful but hollow. Kids movie. No
    > subtley, no complexity, no real depth. Puerile and invasive score that
    > blatantly told you how you were supposed to feel. Poor acting by the
    > kids. Strange formality to everyone's acting kept everything at the
    > surface level. No depth of story, aproblem with the source material,
    > but still... Santa giving the kids weaponry was a bit... odd. The
    > aggrandizement and near celebration of War was a bit odd as well.
    > Granted it was a Just War, but still. White Witch was very good. Some
    > of the visuals, esp. during the battle, were wonderful. I'm not likely
    > to go see the next entries unless there's a new director.

    Derek Janssen will disagree, and certainly with more authority... but my
    sense is that the Narnia books don't contain the semi-grownup vittles
    that the Potters do. Not sure a new director would be a solution (...to
    a problem I haven't gone to see yet, admittedly).

    --

    /---------------------------\
    | YOUR taste at work... |

    moviePig, Dec 13, 2005
  5. Goro

    Jeff Rife Guest

    moviePig () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Derek Janssen will disagree, and certainly with more authority... but my
    > sense is that the Narnia books don't contain the semi-grownup vittles
    > that the Potters do.

    You're correct even if Derek disagrees.

    I read the Narnia books when I was less than 15...about the same time I read
    LotR. By the time I was an adult, the Narnia books were obviously for "kids",
    while LotR could be re-read with new appreciation. I only read the HP books
    after I was an adult ('cause they hadn't been written before that), and I
    would not have continued reading them if they had not been compelling as
    adult fiction.

    --
    Jeff Rife | "It's amazing the advances the Swedes have made

    Jeff Rife, Dec 13, 2005