    By extension of this latter logic, Blu-ray, with data pits even
    smaller than HD-DVD, might be even more sensitive to dust. We'll have
    to wait and see.

    Rich, Jun 1, 2006

  2. Rich

    Tarkus Guest

    On 5/31/2006 6:08:55 PM, Rich wrote:

    > Dust and any thing else that constitutes "dirt" will be the bane of
    > the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD experience.

    At least in 1st Generation units that were rushed to market by mediocre
    electronics manufacturers.

    Early CD players had similar problems. I had one cheap, early generation
    player that I literally had to clean every disc I played, every single
    time, or it would skip badly.
    --
    "Name's Ash. Housewares."

    Now playing: "[Buffer: 60%] Rainbow - Kill the King (last.fm)"

    Tarkus, Jun 1, 2006

  3. Rich <> wrote:

    > Dust and any thing else that constitutes "dirt" will be the bane of
    > the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD experience. With pits smaller than bacteria, any
    > amount of dust on a disc could cause a momentary glitch in playback,
    > despite error correction mechanisms.
    >
    > http://www.dvdtown.com/article/reviewofthetoshibahd-a1hd-dvdp/3255/
    >
    > Also, I experienced a momentary video dropout during "Phantom of the
    > Opera." It lasted only a couple of seconds, corrected itself, and went
    > on. As I could not repeat it, I suspect a piece of dust was the
    > culprit. When I took the disc out and examined it, I saw no obvious
    > flaws, no scratches or fingerprints. Maybe the Toshiba A1's
    > error-correction mechanism is extra fussy about these things; or maybe
    > high-definition discs, with the laser having to read smaller data pits
    > than SD discs, are more susceptible to tiny dust and lint particles.
    > By extension of this latter logic, Blu-ray, with data pits even
    > smaller than HD-DVD, might be even more sensitive to dust. We'll have
    > to wait and see.

    That sucks. Also from the above link:

    We come to the big question: How does the Toshiba HD-A1 perform? First,
    the carps, just to get them out of the way. The thing takes what seems
    like forever to load a disc. Upon initially turning it on, the machine
    has to transfer some data and check some things, like, I'm told,
    watermarks on an HD-DVD to see if it's a bootleg. The Toshiba owner's
    manual informs us that "the HD-DVD player operates more like a computer
    and differently than a standard DVD player. In addition to containing a
    microprocessor, it contains an operating system, random access memory
    (RAM), and an HD DVD drive." So expect it to be slow. I counted about
    thirty seconds or more to load a disc and some lag time on clicking on
    certain menu items.

    Walter Traprock, Jun 1, 2006
  4. On a pleasant day while strolling in alt.video.dvd, a person by the name
    of Walter Traprock exclaimed:
    > (RAM), and an HD DVD drive." So expect it to be slow. I counted about
    > thirty seconds or more to load a disc and some lag time on clicking on
    > certain menu items.

    That will build upon the pleasure of mandatory copyright warnings, Dolby
    advertisements, animated menus, studio logos, and disclaimers! I can
    hardly wait! It will be like rewinding the VHS tape before playing it.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jun 1, 2006
  5. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Wed, 31 May 2006 18:38:39 -0700, Tarkus <> wrote:

    >On 5/31/2006 6:08:55 PM, Rich wrote:
    >
    >> Dust and any thing else that constitutes "dirt" will be the bane of
    >> the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD experience.

    >At least in 1st Generation units that were rushed to market by mediocre
    >electronics manufacturers.
    >
    >Early CD players had similar problems. I had one cheap, early generation
    >player that I literally had to clean every disc I played, every single
    >time, or it would skip badly.

    Yes, I'd agree. Toshiba's first DVD players were dogs too.
    -Rich

    Rich, Jun 2, 2006
  6. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On Thu, 01 Jun 2006 00:29:51 -0700, Walter Traprock
    <> wrote:

    >Rich <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dust and any thing else that constitutes "dirt" will be the bane of
    >> the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD experience. With pits smaller than bacteria, any
    >> amount of dust on a disc could cause a momentary glitch in playback,
    >> despite error correction mechanisms.
    >>
    >> http://www.dvdtown.com/article/reviewofthetoshibahd-a1hd-dvdp/3255/
    >>
    >> Also, I experienced a momentary video dropout during "Phantom of the
    >> Opera." It lasted only a couple of seconds, corrected itself, and went
    >> on. As I could not repeat it, I suspect a piece of dust was the
    >> culprit. When I took the disc out and examined it, I saw no obvious
    >> flaws, no scratches or fingerprints. Maybe the Toshiba A1's
    >> error-correction mechanism is extra fussy about these things; or maybe
    >> high-definition discs, with the laser having to read smaller data pits
    >> than SD discs, are more susceptible to tiny dust and lint particles.
    >> By extension of this latter logic, Blu-ray, with data pits even
    >> smaller than HD-DVD, might be even more sensitive to dust. We'll have
    >> to wait and see.

    >That sucks. Also from the above link:
    >
    >We come to the big question: How does the Toshiba HD-A1 perform? First,
    >the carps, just to get them out of the way. The thing takes what seems
    >like forever to load a disc. Upon initially turning it on, the machine
    >has to transfer some data and check some things, like, I'm told,
    >watermarks on an HD-DVD to see if it's a bootleg. The Toshiba owner's
    >manual informs us that "the HD-DVD player operates more like a computer
    >and differently than a standard DVD player. In addition to containing a
    >microprocessor, it contains an operating system, random access memory
    >(RAM), and an HD DVD drive." So expect it to be slow. I counted about
    >thirty seconds or more to load a disc and some lag time on clicking on
    >certain menu items.

    This is true. Accordiing to "The Enquirer" (a computer news website)
    the video processors in these things are actual computer video cards,
    Nvidia or something.

    Rich, Jun 2, 2006
  7. Rich

    unisellers Guest

    Rich wrote:
    > On Wed, 31 May 2006 18:38:39 -0700, Tarkus <> wrote:
    >
    > >On 5/31/2006 6:08:55 PM, Rich wrote:
    > >
    > >> Dust and any thing else that constitutes "dirt" will be the bane of
    > >> the Blu-Ray, HD-DVD experience.

    > >At least in 1st Generation units that were rushed to market by mediocre
    > >electronics manufacturers.
    > >
    > >Early CD players had similar problems. I had one cheap, early generation
    > >player that I literally had to clean every disc I played, every single
    > >time, or it would skip badly.

    > Yes, I'd agree. Toshiba's first DVD players were dogs too.
    > -Rich

    My first two DVD players were eratic and short lived. $250.00 and $300+
    down the toilet. I now have a $59.00 APEX that has been humming along
    for years with no problems.

    unisellers, Jun 2, 2006
  8. Rich

    Rich Guest

    On 1 Jun 2006 21:22:07 -0700, "unisellers" <>
    wrote:

    >Rich wrote:

    >> >At least in 1st Generation units that were rushed to market by mediocre
    >> >electronics manufacturers.
    >> >
    >> >Early CD players had similar problems. I had one cheap, early generation
    >> >player that I literally had to clean every disc I played, every single
    >> >time, or it would skip badly.

    >> Yes, I'd agree. Toshiba's first DVD players were dogs too.
    >> -Rich

    >My first two DVD players were eratic and short lived. $250.00 and $300+
    >down the toilet. I now have a $59.00 APEX that has been humming along
    >for years with no problems.

    My first DVD player was a $1600 work of art, Sony's S7000. Best
    audio/video purchase I ever made. It ran for 7 years and finally
    needed to be re-calibrated.

    Rich, Jun 3, 2006