This SUCKS! Can't view CNN website of all places

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jul 3, 2011.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Got the following msg:

    "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

    Most likely causes:
    You are not connected to the Internet.
    The website is encountering problems.
    There might be a typing error in the address.

    What you can try:
    Diagnose Connection Problems

    More information

    This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

    Internet connectivity has been lost.
    The website is temporarily unavailable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    domain.
    If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    protocols are enabled under the security section.

    For offline users

    You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    To view subscribed feeds

    Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    feed you want to view.

    To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

    Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    page you want to view."

    I checked the ssl and tls - all active.

    Running Vista32 sp1 IE7. Can go anywhere else on the web.

    WTH??

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 3, 2011

  2. ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > Got the following msg:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    >
    > Most likely causes:
    > You are not connected to the Internet.
    > The website is encountering problems.
    > There might be a typing error in the address.
    >
    > What you can try:
    > Diagnose Connection Problems
    >
    > More information
    >
    > This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
    >
    > Internet connectivity has been lost.
    > The website is temporarily unavailable.
    > The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    > The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    > domain.
    > If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    > Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    > protocols are enabled under the security section.
    >
    > For offline users
    >
    > You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    > To view subscribed feeds
    >
    > Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    > feed you want to view.
    >
    > To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
    >
    > Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    > Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    > page you want to view."
    >

    > I checked the ssl and tls - all active.
    >
    > Running Vista32 sp1 IE7. Can go anywhere else on the web.
    >
    > WTH??
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    If you're running Vista, you might want to go ahead and upgrade to IE8
    at the very least. That might help, might not.

    Now, if I read this right, you said you still can go anywhere else
    except the page you're trying to access. If it's just that one site,
    chances are the site is down, whether for maintenance or problems or
    what have you.

    Or did I just misread?

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "What do you mean?" he said. "Do you wish me a good morning, or mean
    that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel
    good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?"
    -Gandalf, after Bilbo Baggins says "Good Morning"
    James D Andrews, Jul 3, 2011

  3. "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message
    > Got the following msg:
    >
    > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    >
    > Most likely causes:
    > You are not connected to the Internet.
    > The website is encountering problems.
    > There might be a typing error in the address.
    >
    > What you can try:
    > Diagnose Connection Problems
    >
    > More information
    >
    > This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
    >
    > Internet connectivity has been lost.
    > The website is temporarily unavailable.
    > The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    > The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    > domain.
    > If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    > Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    > protocols are enabled under the security section.
    >
    > For offline users
    >
    > You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    > To view subscribed feeds
    >
    > Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    > feed you want to view.
    >
    > To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
    >
    > Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    > Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    > page you want to view."
    >

    > I checked the ssl and tls - all active.
    >
    > Running Vista32 sp1 IE7. Can go anywhere else on the web.
    >
    > WTH??
    >
    > -ChrisCoaster

    If the only place you cannot go is CNN, then CNN is the problem, and there
    is no test you can do other than to see if you can go other places -- which
    is a test you have done.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 3, 2011
  4. "James D Andrews" <> wrote in message
    > ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    >> Got the following msg:
    >>
    >> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage
    >>
    >> Most likely causes:
    >> You are not connected to the Internet.
    >> The website is encountering problems.
    >> There might be a typing error in the address.
    >>
    >> What you can try:
    >> Diagnose Connection Problems
    >>
    >> More information
    >>
    >> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
    >>
    >> Internet connectivity has been lost.
    >> The website is temporarily unavailable.
    >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    >> domain.
    >> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    >> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    >> protocols are enabled under the security section.
    >>
    >> For offline users
    >>
    >> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    >> To view subscribed feeds
    >>
    >> Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    >> feed you want to view.
    >>
    >> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)
    >>
    >> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    >> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    >> page you want to view."
    >>

    >> I checked the ssl and tls - all active.
    >>
    >> Running Vista32 sp1 IE7. Can go anywhere else on the web.
    >>
    >> WTH??
    >>
    >> -ChrisCoaster

    > If you're running Vista, you might want to go ahead and upgrade to IE8 at
    > the very least. That might help, might not.
    >
    > Now, if I read this right, you said you still can go anywhere else except
    > the page you're trying to access. If it's just that one site, chances are
    > the site is down, whether for maintenance or problems or what have you.
    >
    > Or did I just misread?
    >
    > --

    You read the same way I read. He said he can go everywhere in the
    information superhighway, but the offramp to CNN is closed. Why anybody
    would want to go there is beyond me.
    Jeff Strickland, Jul 3, 2011
  5. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Re: This SUCKS! Can't view CNN website of all places

    On Jul 3, 1:38 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "James D Andrews" <> wrote in messagenews:iuq5t7$29a$...
    >

    > > ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > >> Got the following msg:

    > >> "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

    > >>    Most likely causes:
    > >> You are not connected to the Internet.
    > >> The website is encountering problems.
    > >> There might be a typing error in the address.

    > >>    What you can try:
    > >>      Diagnose Connection Problems

    > >>      More information

    > >> This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

    > >> Internet connectivity has been lost.
    > >> The website is temporarily unavailable.
    > >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    > >> The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    > >> domain.
    > >> If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    > >> Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    > >> protocols are enabled under the security section.

    > >> For offline users

    > >> You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    > >> To view subscribed feeds

    > >> Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    > >> feed you want to view.

    > >> To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

    > >> Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    > >> Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    > >> page you want to view."

    > >> I checked the ssl and tls - all active.

    > >> Running Vista32 sp1  IE7.  Can go anywhere else on the web.

    > >> WTH??

    > >> -ChrisCoaster

    > > If you're running Vista, you might want to go ahead and upgrade to IE8 at
    > > the very least.  That might help, might not.

    > > Now, if I read this right, you said you still can go anywhere else except
    > > the page you're trying to access.  If it's just that one site, chances are
    > > the site is down, whether for maintenance or problems or what have you.

    > > Or did I just misread?

    > > --

    > You read the same way I read. He said he can go everywhere in the
    > information superhighway, but the offramp to CNN is closed. Why anybody
    > would want to go there is beyond me.- Hide quoted text -

    ______________________
    Well I wouldn't say case closed just yet. Can you go to cnn.com ??

    Still, I don't think I should have to upgrade my browser for just one
    website!

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 3, 2011
  6. ChrisCoaster

    On Jul 3, 1:36 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    > "ChrisCoaster" <> wrote in message

    > > Got the following msg:

    > > "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

    > >   Most likely causes:
    > > You are not connected to the Internet.
    > > The website is encountering problems.
    > > There might be a typing error in the address.

    > >   What you can try:
    > >     Diagnose Connection Problems

    > >     More information

    > > This problem can be caused by a variety of issues, including:

    > > Internet connectivity has been lost.
    > > The website is temporarily unavailable.
    > > The Domain Name Server (DNS) is not reachable.
    > > The Domain Name Server (DNS) does not have a listing for the website's
    > > domain.
    > > If this is an HTTPS (secure) address, click Tools, click Internet
    > > Options, click Advanced, and check to be sure the SSL and TLS
    > > protocols are enabled under the security section.

    > > For offline users

    > > You can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages.
    > > To view subscribed feeds

    > > Click the Favorites Center button , click Feeds, and then click the
    > > feed you want to view.

    > > To view recently visited webpages (might not work on all pages)

    > > Click Tools , and then click Work Offline.
    > > Click the Favorites Center button , click History, and then click the
    > > page you want to view."

    > > I checked the ssl and tls - all active.

    > > Running Vista32 sp1  IE7.  Can go anywhere else on the web.

    > > WTH??

    > > -ChrisCoaster

    > If the only place you cannot go is CNN, then CNN is the problem, and there
    > is no test you can do other than to see if you can go other places -- which
    > is a test you have done.- Hide quoted text -

    ________________
    As of this posting - 8:41pm EST - I can get onto CNN.

    -ChrisCoaster
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
  7. ChrisCoaster

    susanai

    Joined:
    Jul 4, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Why would u want CNN in 1st place. If u are outside U.S they will not give you access - american imperialiasm I guess.
    susanai, Jul 4, 2011
  8. Re: This SUCKS! Can't view CNN website of all places

    ChrisCoaster embroidered on the monitor :
    > On Jul 3, 1:38 pm, "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote:
    >> "James D Andrews" <> wrote in
    >> messagenews:iuq5t7$29a$...
    >>

    >>> ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :

    >>> If you're running Vista, you might want to go ahead and upgrade to IE8 at
    >>> the very least.  That might help, might not.
    >>> Now, if I read this right, you said you still can go anywhere else except
    >>> the page you're trying to access.  If it's just that one site, chances are
    >>> the site is down, whether for maintenance or problems or what have you.
    >>> Or did I just misread?

    >>> --

    >> You read the same way I read. He said he can go everywhere in the
    >> information superhighway, but the offramp to CNN is closed. Why anybody
    >> would want to go there is beyond me.- Hide quoted text -

    > ______________________
    > Well I wouldn't say case closed just yet. Can you go to cnn.com ??
    >
    > Still, I don't think I should have to upgrade my browser for just one
    > website!
    >
    > -CC

    It could be just the first wave of an old browser-unfriendly web world.
    :)

    As newer technologies replace older ones, such as changes in HTML,
    Java, etc., you eventually have to upgrade to keep compatible.

    (I can't believe I of all people just said that.)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
    James D Andrews, Jul 4, 2011