This sound like Power Supply or Ram problem? Or....?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Doc, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. Doc

    Doc Guest

    Been having some issues with Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 933. 512 MB Ram, XP
    Home. It's been running fine until a couple of days ago. Originally got an
    error:

    *** Hardware Malfunction
    Call your hardware vendor for support

    NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

    *** The system has halted ***

    And would thereafter only boot to Safe Mode. Wouldn't do a normal boot at
    all.

    After uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card, video capture card, the
    computer seemed fine again. However shortly thereafter it started exhibiting
    a new symptom.

    I haven't gotten that blue screen again, but it just winks out in the middle
    doing something. It's done it three times now - twice when I hit the tab to
    go into capture mode in Pinnacle Studio, but it happened a little while ago
    when I was just typing in the name for a file to capture. Monitor goes
    blank, computer quits whirring. I get only a light on the front, and I think
    the power supply fan keeps running but otherwise the computer is dead.
    Unlplug it, replug and restart, it will boot but now I can't trust it. I
    have no idea if this is in any way related to the problem I had previously
    with the NMI error, or just coincidence.

    This sound like something that could be caused by a hitchy power supply or
    perhaps the RAM? Or....?

    Thanks for all input.

    Doc, Jun 6, 2006

  2. Doc

    lsmartino Guest

    Doc ha escrito:

    > Been having some issues with Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 933. 512 MB Ram, XP
    > Home. It's been running fine until a couple of days ago. Originally got an
    > error:
    >
    > *** Hardware Malfunction
    > Call your hardware vendor for support
    >
    > NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
    >
    > *** The system has halted ***
    >
    > And would thereafter only boot to Safe Mode. Wouldn't do a normal boot at
    > all.
    >
    > After uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card, video capture card, the
    > computer seemed fine again. However shortly thereafter it started exhibiting
    > a new symptom.
    >
    > I haven't gotten that blue screen again, but it just winks out in the middle
    > doing something. It's done it three times now - twice when I hit the tab to
    > go into capture mode in Pinnacle Studio, but it happened a little while ago
    > when I was just typing in the name for a file to capture. Monitor goes
    > blank, computer quits whirring. I get only a light on the front, and I think
    > the power supply fan keeps running but otherwise the computer is dead.
    > Unlplug it, replug and restart, it will boot but now I can't trust it. I
    > have no idea if this is in any way related to the problem I had previously
    > with the NMI error, or just coincidence.
    >
    > This sound like something that could be caused by a hitchy power supply or
    > perhaps the RAM? Or....?
    >
    > Thanks for all input.

    Bad RAM is the more likely culprit.

    Use memtest86, available at www.memtest86.com to diagnose the computer
    RAM. The test is an infinite loop. The idea is to run it for several
    hours. If the RAM is OK, it should report no errors. If it reports even
    a single error, you should replace the computer RAM.

    lsmartino, Jun 6, 2006

  3. On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 01:29:52 GMT, "Doc" <>
    wrote:

    |Been having some issues with Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 933. 512 MB Ram, XP
    |Home. It's been running fine until a couple of days ago. Originally got an
    |error:
    |
    |*** Hardware Malfunction
    |Call your hardware vendor for support
    |
    |NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
    |
    |*** The system has halted ***
    |
    |And would thereafter only boot to Safe Mode. Wouldn't do a normal boot at
    |all.
    |
    |After uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card, video capture card, the
    |computer seemed fine again. However shortly thereafter it started exhibiting
    |a new symptom.
    |
    |I haven't gotten that blue screen again, but it just winks out in the middle
    |doing something. It's done it three times now - twice when I hit the tab to
    |go into capture mode in Pinnacle Studio, but it happened a little while ago
    |when I was just typing in the name for a file to capture. Monitor goes
    |blank, computer quits whirring. I get only a light on the front, and I think
    |the power supply fan keeps running but otherwise the computer is dead.
    |Unlplug it, replug and restart, it will boot but now I can't trust it. I
    |have no idea if this is in any way related to the problem I had previously
    |with the NMI error, or just coincidence.
    |
    |This sound like something that could be caused by a hitchy power supply or
    |perhaps the RAM? Or....?

    Or anything.
    Check your RAM with Memtest86+ and let the test run overnight.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/Memtest86_d4226.html
    Mobo could be bad. Check the capacitors on the motherboard and try to
    determine if any of them are bulging.
    http://www.tnpcnewsletter.com/dan/Bulging_Capacitors/
    --
    -John

    Artificial Intelligence stands no chance
    against Natural Stupidity.

    dead_man_walking, Jun 6, 2006
  4. Doc

    JAD Guest

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315223&product=winxp

    JAD, Jun 6, 2006
  5. Doc

    Doc Guest

    "lsmartino" <> wrote in message

    > Use memtest86, available at www.memtest86.com to diagnose the computer
    > RAM. The test is an infinite loop. The idea is to run it for several
    > hours. If the RAM is OK, it should report no errors. If it reports even
    > a single error, you should replace the computer RAM.

    Can't seem to get the computer to accept it. I've tried it both on a CD and
    a floppy, it goes right past it on boot up. The drives light up, I hear them
    whirring but nothing happens.

    Doc, Jun 6, 2006
  6. Doc wrote:

    > "lsmartino" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>Use memtest86, available at www.memtest86.com to diagnose the computer
    >>RAM. The test is an infinite loop. The idea is to run it for several
    >>hours. If the RAM is OK, it should report no errors. If it reports even
    >>a single error, you should replace the computer RAM.

    > Can't seem to get the computer to accept it. I've tried it both on a CD and
    > a floppy, it goes right past it on boot up. The drives light up, I hear them
    > whirring but nothing happens.

    Change your BIOS boot sequence to check the floppy before the hard drive.

    David Maynard, Jun 6, 2006
  7. Doc wrote:
    > Been having some issues with Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 933. 512 MB Ram, XP
    > Home. It's been running fine until a couple of days ago. Originally got an
    > error:
    >
    > *** Hardware Malfunction
    > Call your hardware vendor for support
    >
    > NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error
    >
    > *** The system has halted ***
    >
    > And would thereafter only boot to Safe Mode. Wouldn't do a normal boot at
    > all.
    >
    > After uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card, video capture card, the
    > computer seemed fine again. However shortly thereafter it started exhibiting
    > a new symptom.

    Others have recommended running memory stress software but I would also
    suggest reseating the memory modules (that is, take them out and then
    reinstall them). Also check socketed chips (if any) for chip
    creep.......gently press down on the chip (with power to unit off) to
    reseat the chip.

    Lawrence Lucier, Jun 6, 2006
  8. Doc

    Arno Wagner Guest

    In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Doc <> wrote:
    > Been having some issues with Compaq Deskpro EN PIII 933. 512 MB Ram, XP
    > Home. It's been running fine until a couple of days ago. Originally got an
    > error:

    > *** Hardware Malfunction
    > Call your hardware vendor for support

    > NMI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error

    > *** The system has halted ***

    > And would thereafter only boot to Safe Mode. Wouldn't do a normal boot at
    > all.

    > After uninstalling/reinstalling the sound card, video capture card, the
    > computer seemed fine again. However shortly thereafter it started exhibiting
    > a new symptom.

    > I haven't gotten that blue screen again, but it just winks out in the middle
    > doing something. It's done it three times now - twice when I hit the tab to
    > go into capture mode in Pinnacle Studio, but it happened a little while ago
    > when I was just typing in the name for a file to capture. Monitor goes
    > blank, computer quits whirring. I get only a light on the front, and I think
    > the power supply fan keeps running but otherwise the computer is dead.
    > Unlplug it, replug and restart, it will boot but now I can't trust it. I
    > have no idea if this is in any way related to the problem I had previously
    > with the NMI error, or just coincidence.

    > This sound like something that could be caused by a hitchy power supply or
    > perhaps the RAM? Or....?

    > Thanks for all input.

    Unless you have ECC RAM (doubtful), there is no way the computer
    can even detetc a RAM error. But the caches in the CPU may have
    ECC protetcion (not sure about your model). These can detect
    bit-errors and trigger the NMI. So you may actually have a faulty
    CPU or CPU voltage regulator (mainboard) or even PSU.

    Arno

    Arno Wagner, Jun 6, 2006