    Show stock quote for GOOG

    www.google.com/ - Similar pages

    what's up with that!?
    RickMerrill, Jan 31, 2009

  2. RickMerrill

    Sky King Guest

    Go into the Google Preferences section, enable the option to not filter.

    ....Tom

    Sky King, Jan 31, 2009

  3. RickMerrill

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History RickMerrill Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"
    >
    > I get
    >

    > Google
    > This site may harm your computer.
    > Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include
    > PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find
    > similar pages.
    >
    > Show stock quote for GOOG
    >
    > www.google.com/ - Similar pages
    >

    > what's up with that!?

    This morning I experienced the same in FF. I changed the security
    settings in FF and it went away. <g>

    --
    Old Gringo
    Just West Of Nowhere
    Old Gringo, Jan 31, 2009
  4. RickMerrill

    VanguardLH Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > RickMerrill wrote:
    >> using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"

    > Ambiguous question to me.
    >
    > I know what IE8 is, but SM14 is an unrecognized term to me, and doesn't
    > give a prompt meaningful answer/result when searched (googleweb or wiki)
    > as 'SM14' so I will ignore that part and answer the question as IE8 only,
    > which IE8 is in pre-beta, RC1.

    My guess is SM14 is SeaMonkey v14, another web browser.
    VanguardLH, Jan 31, 2009
  5. Old Gringo wrote:

    > RickMerrill wrote:
    >> using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"
    >>
    >> I get
    >>
    >> Google
    >> This site may harm your computer. <snip>

    > This morning I experienced the same in FF. I changed the security
    > settings in FF and it went away. <g>

    In another group, similar posts were made, e.g. security warnings from
    Google. It was then stated that Google itself was having a hissy fit,
    but it has been corrected.

    You may now return to your regularly-scheduled security settings.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2009
  6. RickMerrill

    walter Guest

    RickMerrill wrote:

    > Google
    > This site may harm your computer.
    > Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include
    > PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find
    > similar pages.

    > what's up with that!?

    Must have been some kind of Google glitch. That was happening on all my
    browsers as well for a few hours earlier this morning. Then around 10:15am
    EST it cleared up.
    walter, Jan 31, 2009
  7. RickMerrill

    RickMerrill Guest

    walter wrote:
    > RickMerrill wrote:
    >
    >> Google
    >> This site may harm your computer.
    >> Enables users to search the Web, Usenet, and images. Features include
    >> PageRank, caching and translation of results, and an option to find
    >> similar pages.

    >> what's up with that!?

    > Must have been some kind of Google glitch. That was happening on all my
    > browsers as well for a few hours earlier this morning. Then around 10:15am
    > EST it cleared up.

    Yup, I can confirm it has now been corrected (eastern MA) here.

    Maybe the search engine not only became cognizant AND paranoid?
    RickMerrill, Jan 31, 2009
  8. RickMerrill

    Dhropta Guli Guest

    Dhropta Guli, Jan 31, 2009
  9. RickMerrill

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History Beauregard T. Shagnasty
    Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > Old Gringo wrote:
    >
    >> RickMerrill wrote:
    >>> using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"
    >>>
    >>> I get
    >>>
    >>> Google
    >>> This site may harm your computer. <snip>

    >> This morning I experienced the same in FF. I changed the security
    >> settings in FF and it went away. <g>

    > In another group, similar posts were made, e.g. security warnings from
    > Google. It was then stated that Google itself was having a hissy fit,
    > but it has been corrected.
    >
    > You may now return to your regularly-scheduled security settings.

    That's cool, thanks.

    Old Gringo, Jan 31, 2009
  10. RickMerrill

    Old Gringo Guest

    On Or About This Time And Date In History Dhropta Guli Stumbled Over
    To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::
    > The Old Sourdough wrote:
    >> On 2009-01-31, in 24hoursupport.helpdesk, Old Gringo waxed eloquently:
    >>> On Or About This Time And Date In History RickMerrill Stumbled Over
    >>> To The Keyboard And Pecked Out The Following::

    >>> This morning I experienced the same in FF. I changed the security
    >>> settings in FF and it went away. <g>
    >>>

    >> I don't believe it was a FF problem. I experienced the same thing,
    >> didn't change any thing in FF, and the problem went away by itself.

    Thank You

    Old Gringo, Jan 31, 2009
  11. philo wrote:

    > "RickMerrill" <> wrote:
    >> Google
    >> This site may harm your computer.

    > Though I don't use IE8, one of my machines with IE7 started doing that
    > today. Just set browser security back to default and all is well
    > again

    Google fixed its internal problem some while ago now. Reset your
    browsers to their usual secure selves.

    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jan 31, 2009
  12. RickMerrill

    Guest

    RickMerrill <> wrote:

    >using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"
    >
    >I get
    >

    >Google
    >This site may harm your computer.
    >what's up with that!?

    "GOOGLE GOES MAD: TAGS REST OF INTERNET 'HARMFUL'"
    is the headline from http://www.drudgereport.com/

    Just a blip on the internet.

    --

    Russian Flying Fortresses
    http://englishrussia.com/?p=2231
  13. RickMerrill

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 10:17:43 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

    >Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> RickMerrill wrote:
    >>> using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"

    >> Ambiguous question to me.
    >>
    >> I know what IE8 is, but SM14 is an unrecognized term to me, and doesn't
    >> give a prompt meaningful answer/result when searched (googleweb or wiki)
    >> as 'SM14' so I will ignore that part and answer the question as IE8 only,
    >> which IE8 is in pre-beta, RC1.

    >My guess is SM14 is SeaMonkey v14, another web browser.

    Even then it's on the Help / About as 1.1.14 :)

    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.19)
    Gecko/20081204 SeaMonkey/1.1.14

    Me
    why?, Feb 1, 2009
  14. On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:54:08 -0500, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > philo wrote:
    >
    >> "RickMerrill" <> wrote:
    >>> Google
    >>> This site may harm your computer.

    >> Though I don't use IE8, one of my machines with IE7 started doing that
    >> today. Just set browser security back to default and all is well again

    > Google fixed its internal problem some while ago now. Reset your browsers
    > to their usual secure selves.

    And *what* exactly do they mean by "This site may harm your computer."? Do
    they mean the actual computer, or (more accurately) do the mean a certain
    proprietary OS that people use?
    William Poaster, Feb 1, 2009
  15. RickMerrill

    RickMerrill Guest

    Lookout wrote:
    > On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 16:52:34 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> RickMerrill <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> using IE8 or SM14 for ANY search word, including "google"
    >>>
    >>> I get
    >>>

    >>> Google
    >>> This site may harm your computer.
    >>> what's up with that!?

    >> "GOOGLE GOES MAD: TAGS REST OF INTERNET 'HARMFUL'"
    >> is the headline from http://www.drudgereport.com/
    >>
    >> Just a blip on the internet.

    > Drudge? Don't believe a damn thing you read there.
    > Here's the problem
    > http://tech.yahoo.com/news/ap/20090201/ap_on_hi_te/google_glitch

    Nominee for FUNNIEST headline on the subject:

    Google says whole web may be harmful -- for 40 minutes

    guardian.co.uk, UK - 13 hours ago
    Today, some searchers found every site in Google's search results
    carried the warning that: "This site may harm your computer". Google's
    official blog says: ...
    RickMerrill, Feb 1, 2009
  16. William Poaster wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:
    >> philo wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Though I don't use IE8, one of my machines with IE7 started doing
    >>> that today. Just set browser security back to default and all is
    >>> well again

    >> Google fixed its internal problem some while ago now. Reset your
    >> browsers to their usual secure selves.

    > And *what* exactly do they mean by "This site may harm your
    > computer."? Do they mean the actual computer, or (more accurately) do
    > the mean a certain proprietary OS that [most] people use?

    Well, yes, of course. It is somewhat difficult to do actual physical
    harm to the hardware .. unless you are sitting in front of it. <g>

    Unless the Mighty Goog has come up with longer fingers than we think
    they already have...

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 1, 2009
  17. RickMerrill

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 13:31:29 +0000, William Poaster <>
    wrote:

    >On Sat, 31 Jan 2009 12:54:08 -0500, above the shrieking & whining of the
    >trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:
    >
    >> philo wrote:

    >>> Though I don't use IE8, one of my machines with IE7 started doing that
    >>> today. Just set browser security back to default and all is well again

    >> Google fixed its internal problem some while ago now. Reset your browsers
    >> to their usual secure selves.

    >And *what* exactly do they mean by "This site may harm your computer."? Do
    >they mean the actual computer, or (more accurately) do the mean a certain
    >proprietary OS that people use?

    I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

    --
    "Bristling with weapons means never having to say you're sorry."
    --trout, 24HSHD
    Mara, Feb 1, 2009
  18. On Sun, 01 Feb 2009 10:25:08 -0500, above the shrieking & whining of the
    trolls, Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    >>> Google fixed its internal problem some while ago now. Reset your
    >>> browsers to their usual secure selves.
    >>>
    >>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7862840.stm

    >> And *what* exactly do they mean by "This site may harm your computer."?
    >> Do they mean the actual computer, or (more accurately) do the mean a
    >> certain proprietary OS that [most] people use?

    > Well, yes, of course. It is somewhat difficult to do actual physical harm
    > to the hardware .. unless you are sitting in front of it. <g>

    True.

    > Unless the Mighty Goog has come up with longer fingers than we think they
    > already have...

    Well for those of us not using M$ products, it's rather pointless isn't it. ;-)
    William Poaster, Feb 2, 2009