This one's a shot in the dark, but I need help

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Gabriel Knight, Nov 29, 2007.

  1. I have been repairing an old Celestix Aries network server. Its hard
    drive crashed, but I'd like to refurbish the unit. I've got it
    powering on, but my problem is all I have is a blank hard drive.

    From what I've read, it uses an embedded Linux. I spoke with a tech
    support person at Celestix today - they were astounded that I still
    had such an ancient unit, but she said she tracked down the one person
    in the company who might have what I need.

    What I think I need is an image file to write to a hard drive that
    will set the drive's contents to factory-defaults... the OS, etc.
    She said if they can dig up an image file or an installation program,
    they'll be happy to provide it to me. However the person who could
    possibly have it is out and won't be back for another week.

    Does anyone out there have any of the following:

    An image file or reinstallation program to prepare a blank hard drive
    for this unit?

    An image file backup of a unit in use?

    Or, lastly, a unit in use that they're willing to make an image of for
    me?

    Like I said in the topic, this is a total shot in the dark, but I'd
    like this unit to run if possible. I already made some hardware
    repairs and the unit powers on, but nothing comes on the display, as
    there is no OS to load, etc.

    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

    Gabriel Knight, Nov 29, 2007

  2. Gabriel Knight

    philo Guest

    "Gabriel Knight" <> wrote in message
    > I have been repairing an old Celestix Aries network server. Its hard
    > drive crashed, but I'd like to refurbish the unit. I've got it
    > powering on, but my problem is all I have is a blank hard drive.
    >
    > From what I've read, it uses an embedded Linux. I spoke with a tech
    > support person at Celestix today - they were astounded that I still
    > had such an ancient unit, but she said she tracked down the one person
    > in the company who might have what I need.
    >
    > What I think I need is an image file to write to a hard drive that
    > will set the drive's contents to factory-defaults... the OS, etc.
    > She said if they can dig up an image file or an installation program,
    > they'll be happy to provide it to me. However the person who could
    > possibly have it is out and won't be back for another week.
    >
    > Does anyone out there have any of the following:

    I'd probably wait until the guy get back...

    however you may want to try installing Linux on it...

    I think the machine just had a customized version of Red Hat on it
    ....kernel 2.2

    it's probably archived somewhere

    philo, Nov 29, 2007