This is Your Year-End Conscience Speaking....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by RonB, Dec 30, 2006.

  1. RonB

    RonB Guest

    I know this little reminder doesn't apply to most of you but...

    This morning I read an article in the local paper about memory failure. It
    brought back a very unhappy memory from a year or so ago. I was doing
    something on our less than one year old PC when the hard drive light came on
    steady as the machine started convulsing. Within seconds every thing we had
    put on the machine during the past six month or so vanished. We authorized
    two attempts to restore data at a cost of about $100, to no avail. I had
    been negligent in backing up data for six months.

    In addition to personal business and financial records we lost every photo
    that had been loaded into our very well organized photos directories. This
    included more than 500 shots from two trips - one to Tennessee and Smoky
    Mountain NP and one to Rocky Mountain NP (during the annual Elk rut). The
    Smoky trip loss alone was a blow because we had a few of those
    once-in-a-lifetime shots of fog; wet, winding roads; and several of the
    bears that frequent the area.

    Lessons learned:

    1) Back up MONTHLY at a minimum - More often if you have added important
    information.

    2) About once a quarter put a CD or DVD backup in your safety deposit box or
    other location outside of the house.

    3) When traveling back up to your laptop and then to CD/DVD daily if
    practical. If no laptop, drop into a local library and use a machine. Some
    might charge a small fee ($1 or so).

    4) Clean your memory card after each backup and start over. Failures
    occasionally start to show during formatting.

    5) If you need 2GB of memory, carry two 1GB cards (or two 512's if you
    normally need 1GB). That way a single card failure might not wipe you out
    completely.

    Admittedly the last two items came from the article I read. However, we had
    practiced #4 before.

    RonB

    RonB, Dec 30, 2006

  2. RonB

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    > Lessons learned:
    >
    > 1) Back up MONTHLY at a minimum - More often if you have added important
    > information.

    One of my favorite sayings is "If you can't afford to make backups, you
    can't afford to have data." It can also be expanded to "If you don't have
    time to make backups, you don't have time to have data."

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Dec 30, 2006

  3. RonB

    Phil Guest

    RonB wrote:

    > 5) If you need 2GB of memory, carry two 1GB cards (or two 512's if you
    > normally need 1GB). That way a single card failure might not wipe you out
    > completely.

    Nice piece of advice Ron, and great timing. I've been considering the
    purchase of an 8GB card for shooting extensive week-end projects. Now
    you have me reconsidering.

    -p

    Phil, Dec 30, 2006
  4. RonB

    timeOday Guest

    RonB wrote:

    > 5) If you need 2GB of memory, carry two 1GB cards (or two 512's if you
    > normally need 1GB). That way a single card failure might not wipe you out
    > completely.

    I had a SmartMedia card fail recently, after a year of reliable operation.

    The cards are so small, it would be neat if a camera had 2 memory slots
    and the option to either 1) fill then up sequentially or 2) put a copy
    of each shot on both cards. I'll bet some people (e.g. wedding
    photographers) would find that very worthwhile.

    timeOday, Dec 31, 2006
  5. RonB

    Guest

    Steve Wolfe wrote:
    > > Lessons learned:
    > >
    > > 1) Back up MONTHLY at a minimum - More often if you have added important
    > > information.

    > One of my favorite sayings is "If you can't afford to make backups, you
    > can't afford to have data." It can also be expanded to "If you don't have
    > time to make backups, you don't have time to have data."
    >
    > steve

    Here we say "If it's digital and only exists in two places, it doesn't
    exist anywhere at all".

    , Dec 31, 2006
  6. RonB

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/30/06 8:00 PM, in article
    , "timeOday"
    <> wrote:

    > RonB wrote:
    >>
    >> 5) If you need 2GB of memory, carry two 1GB cards (or two 512's if you
    >> normally need 1GB). That way a single card failure might not wipe you out
    >> completely.

    > I had a SmartMedia card fail recently, after a year of reliable operation.
    >
    > The cards are so small, it would be neat if a camera had 2 memory slots
    > and the option to either 1) fill then up sequentially or 2) put a copy
    > of each shot on both cards. I'll bet some people (e.g. wedding
    > photographers) would find that very worthwhile.

    Canon Eos-1DS Mark II has just what you are looking for.

    George Kerby, Dec 31, 2006
  7. RonB

    timeOday Guest

    George Kerby wrote:

    > On 12/30/06 8:00 PM, in article
    > , "timeOday"
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>RonB wrote:
    >>
    >>>5) If you need 2GB of memory, carry two 1GB cards (or two 512's if you
    >>>normally need 1GB). That way a single card failure might not wipe you out
    >>>completely.

    >>I had a SmartMedia card fail recently, after a year of reliable operation.
    >>
    >>The cards are so small, it would be neat if a camera had 2 memory slots
    >>and the option to either 1) fill then up sequentially or 2) put a copy
    >>of each shot on both cards. I'll bet some people (e.g. wedding
    >>photographers) would find that very worthwhile.
    >>

    > Canon Eos-1DS Mark II has just what you are looking for.

    Figures. Got any you don't need? And some lenses?

    timeOday, Jan 1, 2007
  8. RonB

    Carol Guest

    Ron--

    I always copied my photos to an external 300 gig hard drive as soon as
    I finish playing with them. There was over 200 gigs worth of pictures
    on that drive and my system was working very nicely until we moved in
    September. I do not want to go into details but the system file for
    the drive became corrupted and I was not able to access anything on the
    drive. I was lucky after four months of searching I found a
    downloadable program from GET DATA BACK for NTFS and was able to rescue
    my shots. I burned all the pictures to DVD's and made three copies of
    each, one set is with me and the other two are with friends in
    different states. I now have DVD backups AND four 100 gig drives.

    Never put all your eggs in one basket, something I will never do again.

    Carol

    Carol, Jan 2, 2007
  9. RonB

    Bruce Lewis Guest

    "RonB" <> writes:

    > I know this little reminder doesn't apply to most of you but...

    You'd be surprised. Like flossing, everybody recognizes it's important
    but few take the time to actually do it.

    You give five good lessons, but the 80/20 rule applies here: If people
    would simply buy a USB bookshelf drive and copy files to it, most
    disasters, including the one you experienced, could be averted.

    --

    http://ourdoings.com/ Easily organize and disseminate news and
    photos for your family or group.

    Bruce Lewis, Jan 2, 2007
  10. RonB

    George Kerby Guest

    On 1/1/07 4:57 PM, in article ,
    "timeOday" <> wrote:

    > George Kerby wrote:
    >>

    >> On 12/30/06 8:00 PM, in article
    >> , "timeOday"
    >> <> wrote:

    >>> I had a SmartMedia card fail recently, after a year of reliable operation.
    >>>
    >>> The cards are so small, it would be neat if a camera had 2 memory slots
    >>> and the option to either 1) fill then up sequentially or 2) put a copy
    >>> of each shot on both cards. I'll bet some people (e.g. wedding
    >>> photographers) would find that very worthwhile.
    >>>

    >> Canon Eos-1DS Mark II has just what you are looking for.

    > Figures. Got any you don't need? And some lenses?

    Not today. Check bacl next decade.
    ;-)

    George Kerby, Jan 2, 2007