    Madonna concert, get real, get serious, cut the stage production and
    count all the votes.

    http://surftofind.com/obama
    tobetbaa, May 22, 2008

  2. tobetbaa

    Immortalist Guest

    Re: This is supposed to be an election where all the votes arecounted, not a Madonna concert !

    ####################################
    > http://surftofind.com/obama
    >
    > Republicans are supporting Obama because they
    > have already planned their October Surprise.
    > According to Dick Morris, the plans are in the
    > works to bomb Iran in October, just before
    > the presidential election.
    >
    > When that happens, they will merely destroy Obama`s
    > chances because Republicans are planning to put
    > him in a tank (rhetorically speaking) to ridicule him
    > the way they did with Dukakis.
    >
    > Don`t let it happen, if you love Obama, get him in the
    > White House as Hillary`s VP, that will thwart their
    > October Surprise, and if you fully want to understand
    > Obama's insurmountable barriers, study this
    > very, very carefully.

    ################################

    If an October surprise is American political jargon describing a news
    event with the potential to influence the outcome of an election,
    particularly one for the presidency, while events shortly before the
    election have greater potential to swing votes, but since the 1980
    election, the term has been pre-emptively used to discredit late-
    campaign news by one side or the other, then would such a tactic be
    enough to make people change their minds that have been firmly made up
    for many months? People might vote more for Obama since with the
    terible shape of the economy and the consequences of the costs of war
    so recently in the minds of the people, it would be more reasonable to
    chose someone who will end the result of the surprise as quickly as
    possible. As for trying to do the Dukakis routine, both parties will
    be trying to do that to each other, whoever is running.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/October_surprise

    Posing as a marketing researcher, Brehm showed several women eight
    different appliances (a toaster, an electric coffee maker, a sandwich
    grill, and the like) and asked that they rate them in terms of how
    attractive each appliance was. As a reward, each woman was told she
    could have one of the appliances as a gift—and she was given a choice
    between two of the products she had rated as being equally attractive.
    After she chose one, it was wrapped up and given to her. Several
    minutes later, she was asked to rate the products again. It was found
    that after receiving the appliance of her choice, each woman rated the
    attractiveness of that appliance somewhat higher and decreased the
    rating of the appliance she had a chance to own but rejected. Again,
    making a decision produces dissonance: Cognitions about any negative
    aspects of the preferred object are dissonant with having chosen it,
    and cognitions about the positive aspects of the unchosen object are
    dissonant with not having chosen it. To reduce dissonance, people
    cognitively spread apart the alternatives. That is, after making their
    decision, the women in Brehm's study emphasized the positive
    attributes of the appliance they decided to own while deemphasizing
    its negative attributes; for the appliance they decided not to own,
    they emphasized its negative attributes and deemphasized its positive
    attributes.

    The Social Animal - Elliot Aronson - 8th Edition 1999
    Immortalist, May 22, 2008

  3. tobetbaa

    ######################################

    > but since the 1980 election, the term has been pre-emptively used
    > to discredit late- campaign news by one side or the other,..

    > > ....Republicans are planning to put
    > > him in a tank (rhetorically speaking) to ridicule him
    > > the way they did with Dukakis.

    In both cases, the innoculation effect would counter a surprise since
    people would already be primed to what is happening and even the media
    would play the similrities over and over so much, the tactic will be
    useless.

    ...In an interesting field experiment, Alfred McAlister and his
    colleagues inoculated seventh-grade students against existing peer
    pressure to smoke cigarettes. For example, the students were shown
    advertisements (popular at the time) implying that truly liberated
    women are smokers—"You've come a long way, baby!" They were then
    inoculated by being taught that a woman couldn't possibly be liberated
    if she were hooked on nicotine. Similarly, because many teenagers
    begin smoking, in part, because it seems "cool" or "tough" (like the
    Marlboro man), peer pressure took the form of being called "chicken"
    if one didn't smoke.

    Accordingly, McAlister set up a situation to counteract that process;
    the seventh graders role-played a situation in which they practiced
    countering that argument by saying something like "I'd be a real
    chicken if I smoked just to impress you." This inoculation against
    peer pressure proved to be very effective. By the time the students
    were in the ninth grade, they were half as likely to smoke as those in
    a control group from a similar junior high school.

    Sometimes it can be helpful to prepare another for the opposite so
    that they have the ability to resit it with rational thinking.

    The Social Animal
    by Elliot Aronson
    http://www.amazon.com/Social-Animal-Elliot-Aronson/dp/1429203161/

    http://www.uky.edu/~drlane/capstone/persuasion/ino.htm