This is so good

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Collector»NZ, Apr 12, 2005.

  1. http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9

    Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along with a
    range of hard drive parts.

    Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very neat.

    And very on topic for here.


    --
    >>Follow ups may be set to a single group when appropriate!

    ======================================================================
    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    ======================================================================
    "I used to jog, but the ice kept bouncing out of my glass."
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine......
    However, this is not necessarily a good idea...."
    Collector»NZ, Apr 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Hi there,

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >
    > Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along with a
    > range of hard drive parts.
    >
    > Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very neat.
    >
    > And very on topic for here.


    Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 12, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Collector»NZ

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:02:57 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Collector»NZ wrote:
    >> http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >>
    >> Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along with a
    >> range of hard drive parts.
    >>
    >> Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very neat.
    >>
    >> And very on topic for here.

    >
    >Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    >presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    >based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)


    My four year old liked it a lot :)
    Bret, Apr 12, 2005
    #3
  4. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bret wrote:
    > On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:02:57 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi there,
    >>
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >>>
    >>> Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along
    >>> with a range of hard drive parts.
    >>>
    >>> Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very
    >>> neat.
    >>>
    >>> And very on topic for here.

    >>
    >> Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    >> presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    >> based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)

    >
    > My four year old liked it a lot :)


    I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver kicked in
    twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of around 7kb/s average.
    Broadband? Bullshit!
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 12, 2005
    #4
  5. Collector»NZ

    David Preece Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9


    Good god, that's awesome. D'you think we could get them to do out of
    order execution next?

    Dave
    David Preece, Apr 12, 2005
    #5
  6. Hi there,

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Bret wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:02:57 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    >><> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Hi there,
    >>>
    >>>Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >>>>
    >>>>Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along
    >>>>with a range of hard drive parts.
    >>>>
    >>>>Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very
    >>>>neat.
    >>>>
    >>>>And very on topic for here.
    >>>
    >>>Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    >>>presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    >>>based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)

    >>
    >>My four year old liked it a lot :)

    >
    >
    > I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver kicked in
    > twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of around 7kb/s average.
    > Broadband? Bullshit!


    Thats no better than a modem. Are you sure you haven't gone over a data
    cap or something? :-(

    My 1.5 Mbps DSL connection here I saw got 80 k/s for that page, so it
    seems related to Orcons end, not the remote end...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 12, 2005
    #6
  7. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Bret wrote:
    >>
    >>> On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:02:57 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    >>> <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>> Hi there,
    >>>>
    >>>> Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along
    >>>>> with a range of hard drive parts.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very
    >>>>> neat.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> And very on topic for here.
    >>>>
    >>>> Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    >>>> presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    >>>> based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)
    >>>
    >>> My four year old liked it a lot :)

    >>
    >>
    >> I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver
    >> kicked in twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of
    >> around 7kb/s average. Broadband? Bullshit!

    >
    > Thats no better than a modem. Are you sure you haven't gone over a
    > data cap or something? :-(


    My plan is supposed to be uncapped 256k but with traffic shaping if you go
    over 20GB in a month. My last two months usage (both ways) have been under
    2.5GB according to Orcon's own site.

    > My 1.5 Mbps DSL connection here I saw got 80 k/s for that page, so it
    > seems related to Orcons end, not the remote end...


    Oh, it's Orcon alright. Rather tha watch TV I play an on-line game in the
    evenings. Up until two mights ago it had been reasonably playable for a
    couple of weeks. The last two nights have been worse than dial-up as far as
    latency goes. I'm about to get on the phone to them now. I guess I can kiss
    an hour goodbye going on past form with their helldesk. The recorded message
    told me I had .... one.... minute...... to wait last time. My call got
    answered 35 minutes later.

    Wish me luck.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2005
    #7
  8. Collector»NZ

    J.wilson Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver kicked in
    > twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of around 7kb/s average.
    > Broadband? Bullshit!
    > --
    > ~misfit~


    Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    connection?
    J.wilson, Apr 13, 2005
    #8
  9. Hi there,

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>>Bret wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 12:02:57 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    >>>><> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>>Hi there,
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Collector»NZ wrote:
    >>>>>
    >>>>>
    >>>>>>http://tinyurl.com/6d7c9
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Okay this is a whole lot of singing and dancing data bits along
    >>>>>>with a range of hard drive parts.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>Warning its not really a dial page, and it is flash but it is very
    >>>>>>neat.
    >>>>>>
    >>>>>>And very on topic for here.
    >>>>>
    >>>>>Good grief! A little different from the usual corporate flava
    >>>>>presentations! Just hope the punters can take them seriously
    >>>>>based on the technology within, and not the advertising! :)
    >>>>
    >>>>My four year old liked it a lot :)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver
    >>>kicked in twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of
    >>>around 7kb/s average. Broadband? Bullshit!

    >>
    >>Thats no better than a modem. Are you sure you haven't gone over a
    >>data cap or something? :-(

    >
    >
    > My plan is supposed to be uncapped 256k but with traffic shaping if you go
    > over 20GB in a month. My last two months usage (both ways) have been under
    > 2.5GB according to Orcon's own site.


    Just outta curio, 'ow much does that sting you monthly in NewZild$?
    I just signed onto TPG internet here in Oz, and we pay $49.95 for
    1.5Mbps unlimited but shaped to 64kbps after 20GB, with no extra
    fee payable to monopolistic telcos for use of DSLAM's...

    >>My 1.5 Mbps DSL connection here I saw got 80 k/s for that page, so it
    >>seems related to Orcons end, not the remote end...

    >
    >
    > Oh, it's Orcon alright. Rather tha watch TV I play an on-line game in the
    > evenings. Up until two mights ago it had been reasonably playable for a
    > couple of weeks. The last two nights have been worse than dial-up as far as
    > latency goes. I'm about to get on the phone to them now. I guess I can kiss
    > an hour goodbye going on past form with their helldesk. The recorded message
    > told me I had .... one.... minute...... to wait last time. My call got
    > answered 35 minutes later.


    Message should say "you have one minute to wait...until the next
    annoying prerecorded message"...

    I hate that shit man...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.
    Anyone wishing to email me directly can remove the obvious
    spamblocker, and replace it with t p g <dot> c o m <dot> a u

    Software patents are killing YOUR freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    http://swpat.ffii.org/ http://nosoftwarepatents.com/
    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 13, 2005
    #9
  10. Collector»NZ

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 17:22:39 +1200, J.wilson wrote:

    >
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >> I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver kicked
    >> in twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of around 7kb/s
    >> average. Broadband? Bullshit!
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    >
    > Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    > If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    > at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000 customers then
    > those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs connection?


    Only if they ALL hammer it simultaneously. Which in the real world doesn't
    happen.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 13, 2005
    #10
  11. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > ~misfit~ wrote:


    <snip>

    >> My plan is supposed to be uncapped 256k but with traffic shaping if
    >> you go over 20GB in a month. My last two months usage (both ways)
    >> have been under
    >> 2.5GB according to Orcon's own site.

    >
    > Just outta curio, 'ow much does that sting you monthly in NewZild$?
    > I just signed onto TPG internet here in Oz, and we pay $49.95 for
    > 1.5Mbps unlimited but shaped to 64kbps after 20GB, with no extra
    > fee payable to monopolistic telcos for use of DSLAM's...


    $49.95/month, 256/128 (Theoretically, yet to see it sustain anything even
    close) uncapped but "traffic-shaped" next month if ~20GB a month is
    exceeded. Latency is worse than dial-up.

    >> Oh, it's Orcon alright. Rather tha watch TV I play an on-line game
    >> in the evenings. Up until two mights ago it had been reasonably
    >> playable for a couple of weeks. The last two nights have been worse
    >> than dial-up as far as latency goes. I'm about to get on the phone
    >> to them now. I guess I can kiss an hour goodbye going on past form
    >> with their helldesk. The recorded message told me I had .... one....
    >> minute...... to wait last time. My call got answered 35 minutes
    >> later.

    >
    > Message should say "you have one minute to wait...until the next
    > annoying prerecorded message"...


    I rang them today and they've now changed it to "You are number XX in the
    queue". Surprisingly it only took around 10-15 minutes to get to talk to
    someone. I think most customers have either left or given up trying to ring
    up. Man, they have muzak on hold but it's only on for about 20% of the time,
    the rest of the time is messages.

    I was trying to get through to them a few months ago and they say "If you
    would prefer to leave a message press 1" every 30 seconds or so. I'd been
    waiting for nearly an hour and I thought Dammit!, I'd leave a message. I
    pressed '1' and got disconnected!!! I rang back up and was at the end of the
    queue again. The curses were blistering the paint on the walls I can tell
    you.

    > I hate that shit man...


    Yeah, see above.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2005
    #11
  12. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >> I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver
    >> kicked in twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of
    >> around 7kb/s average. Broadband? Bullshit!
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~

    >
    > Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    > If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    > at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    > customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    > connection?


    No. (I could be wrong). The customer still gets the theoretical 2Mbps
    connection to certain IPs but latency really suffers (dropped
    downloads/connections) and very rarely will they get a sustained 2Mbps
    download.

    However it seems most ISPs carry out this practice (or some variant of it)
    hoping that not everyone will be on at once.
    --
    ~misfit~
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 13, 2005
    #12
  13. Collector»NZ

    Enkidu Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    >
    > Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    > If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    > at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    > customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    > connection?
    >

    They probably sign up 5000 - 6000 customers and pray that
    they don't all download at once.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    Barzoomian the Martian - http://barzoomian.blogspot.com
    Enkidu, Apr 13, 2005
    #13
  14. Suddenly, J.wilson sprang forth and uttered these pithy words:
    > Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    > If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    > at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    > customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    > connection?


    Ah, no. They would buy perhaps 100Mbps (if we're lucky) for 1000
    customers, and count on the fact that most of them won't need 2Mbps at
    the same time. If they all hammer it, they would get 100kbps.

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke
    Aaron Lawrence, Apr 13, 2005
    #14
  15. J.wilson wrote:
    >>I gave up trying to watch it on Orcon UBS after the screensaver kicked in
    >>twice (set for five minutes). Excellent d/l speed of around 7kb/s average.
    >>Broadband? Bullshit!


    > Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    > If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    > at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    > customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    > connection?


    assuming that all bandwidth is being shared equally, and that all users
    are on at once, then generally speaking, yes, you are correct... but
    what I have written is not safe to assume at all.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005
    #15
  16. ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    >> If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    >>at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    >>customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    >>connection?


    > However it seems most ISPs carry out this practice (or some variant of it)
    > hoping that not everyone will be on at once.


    they have to, for a laugh ring up and price up a 2Mbit of dedicated
    bandwidth.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 13, 2005
    #16
  17. Collector»NZ

    J.wilson Guest

    "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > J.wilson wrote:


    >
    >> Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    >> If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    >> at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    >> customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    >> connection?

    >
    > assuming that all bandwidth is being shared equally, and that all users
    > are on at once, then generally speaking, yes, you are correct... but what
    > I have written is not safe to assume at all.


    We are on Telecom's 10Gb 2Mbps plan so it seems I'm wasting
    my time complaining to them about getting less than 400kbps.
    They usually tell me there's a problem with our connection and
    they're working on it.
    I think that most people would sign up for this plan in the expectation
    of actually getting 2Mbps, so, what can be done about it?
    J.wilson, Apr 14, 2005
    #17
  18. Collector»NZ

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "J.wilson" <> wrote in news:ZXo7e.18716$1S4.1857381
    @news.xtra.co.nz:

    > I think that most people would sign up for this plan in the expectation
    > of actually getting 2Mbps, so, what can be done about it?


    When you press them, they will tell you it is 2 Mbps to their server. Try
    their speed test file. It should come down at 2Mbps. Try again at
    something like toast.net or numion.com, the results will then be overseas,
    and a little more realistic to what is actually to be expected. Keep
    complaining...

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Apr 14, 2005
    #18
  19. Collector»NZ

    EMB Guest

    J.wilson wrote:

    > I think that most people would sign up for this plan in the expectation
    > of actually getting 2Mbps, so, what can be done about it?


    I get my full 2Mbit/s bandwidth pretty much all the time (when the
    server at the far end isn't throttled). However at the office our full
    rate JS is lucky to make 500kbit/s despite a line speed of 6Mbit/s.


    --
    EMB
    EMB, Apr 14, 2005
    #19
  20. Collector»NZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    J.wilson wrote:
    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> J.wilson wrote:

    >
    >>
    >>> Generally speaking, have I got this right?
    >>> If an ISP buys enough bandwidth to maintain an adsl connection
    >>> at 2Mbps for, say, 1000 customers and then signs up 2000
    >>> customers then those 2000 customers will only enjoy a 1Mpbs
    >>> connection?

    >>
    >> assuming that all bandwidth is being shared equally, and that all
    >> users are on at once, then generally speaking, yes, you are
    >> correct... but what I have written is not safe to assume at all.

    >
    > We are on Telecom's 10Gb 2Mbps plan so it seems I'm wasting
    > my time complaining to them about getting less than 400kbps.
    > They usually tell me there's a problem with our connection and
    > they're working on it.
    > I think that most people would sign up for this plan in the
    > expectation of actually getting 2Mbps, so, what can be done about it?


    LOL, absolutely nothing (unless you feel like going postal). Telecom own
    this country, didn't you know? They own the commerce commision and half the
    government. They can do what the hell they like and insist you smile while
    they do it to you.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Apr 14, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. =?Utf-8?B?bmV0bnV0?=

    Signs are good, but WAN no good

    =?Utf-8?B?bmV0bnV0?=, Aug 15, 2004, in forum: Wireless Networking
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,193
    =?Utf-8?B?THVjYSBGLg==?=
    Aug 21, 2004
  2. Hugo Drax

    JLO situation+ why fastglass is good+DSLR is good

    Hugo Drax, Jan 17, 2004, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    356
    Hugo Drax
    Jan 17, 2004
  3. LAshooter
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    419
    LAshooter
    Jun 25, 2005
  4. Robert

    What is a good free anti-virus is good to use?

    Robert, Feb 13, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    551
    noalternative
    Feb 23, 2007
  5. Matt
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    1,749
Loading...

Share This Page