  1. RichA

    RichA Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011

  3. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:

    >"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=140

    >Off topic in a digital group, though. It's not April 1st, either.

    You seem to have appointed yourself as netcop for the photo
    newsgroups, David, and you are already behaving a trifle obsessively.
    Give a man a uniform ... and all that.

    But why? Have you really nothing better to do with your life than
    impose your will on what other people do?
    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011
  4. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"RichA" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.ilfordphoto.com/pressroom/article.asp?n=140

    >>Off topic in a digital group, though. It's not April 1st, either.

    > You seem to have appointed yourself as netcop for the photo
    > newsgroups, David, and you are already behaving a trifle obsessively.
    > Give a man a uniform ... and all that.
    >
    > But why? Have you really nothing better to do with your life than
    > impose your will on what other people do?

    I tire of Rich's multi-posting, especially when it's completely off-topic
    and not even marked as such, don't you? The groups do have charters, as
    you know, and an occasional reminder likely doesn't do any harm.

    Oh, and I also actually commented on the post, which you haven't.

    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011
  5. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >I tire of Rich's multi-posting, especially when it's completely off-topic
    >and not even marked as such, don't you?

    Without Rich, this newsgroup would probably be dead. There are very
    few people starting new threads, but Rich does. I think it is
    particularly graceless to criticise someone who provides so many
    opportunities for discussion.

    >The groups do have charters, as
    >you know, and an occasional reminder likely doesn't do any harm.

    You tire of Rich's multi-posting, despite the fact that he encourages
    discussion on a wide range of topics. I tire of your reminders.
    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011
  6. "Bruce" <> wrote in message
    > "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >>I tire of Rich's multi-posting, especially when it's completely
    >>off-topic
    >>and not even marked as such, don't you?

    > Without Rich, this newsgroup would probably be dead. There are very
    > few people starting new threads, but Rich does. I think it is
    > particularly graceless to criticise someone who provides so many
    > opportunities for discussion.

    I would rather see a better signal to noise ratio here than discussion
    which degenerate into politics or USA vs. Canada, or whatever.

    >>The groups do have charters, as
    >>you know, and an occasional reminder likely doesn't do any harm.

    > You tire of Rich's multi-posting, despite the fact that he encourages
    > discussion on a wide range of topics. I tire of your reminders.

    Too wide a range - this is supposed to be about digital photography. Both
    you and I have started on-topic threads recently. If this newsgroup were
    dead, would we all have to join D P Review forums? <G>

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Oct 11, 2011
  7. RichA

    RichA Guest

    On Oct 11, 9:06 am, "David J Taylor" <david-
    > wrote:
    > "Bruce" <> wrote in message

    > > "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    > >>I tire of Rich's multi-posting, especially when it's completely
    > >>off-topic
    > >>and not even marked as such, don't you?

    > > Without Rich, this newsgroup would probably be dead.  There are very
    > > few people starting new threads, but Rich does.  I think it is
    > > particularly graceless to criticise someone who provides so many
    > > opportunities for discussion.

    > I would rather see a better signal to noise ratio here than discussion
    > which degenerate into politics or USA vs. Canada, or whatever.
    >
    > >>The groups do have charters, as
    > >>you know, and an occasional reminder likely doesn't do any harm.

    > > You tire of Rich's multi-posting, despite the fact that he encourages
    > > discussion on a wide range of topics.  I tire of your reminders.

    > Too wide a range - this is supposed to be about digital photography.  Both
    > you and I have started on-topic threads recently.  If this newsgroup were
    > dead, would we all have to join D P Review forums?  <G>
    >
    > Cheers,
    > David

    Well, lets say people who do digital and who are enthusiasts may still
    have an interest in film. They may not have enough interest to
    frequent the 35mm forum, but something novel comes along, they might
    like to hear about it. But in future, if I do post something like
    that, I'll headline the subject with what it is, that way the posts
    can be avoided by those who aren't interested.
    As for Dpreview...
    It's no better there for a somewhat related reason. You get system-
    tied cranks who freak out if you describe another camera than the
    forum deals with. It takes about 7-8 posts in a thread before the (I
    hate using the term) "fanboys" start screaming "troll!!" because they
    didn't like one comparison or other.
    Some people have a low tolerance for (in their minds) having their
    choices questioned, they relate criticism of the camera directly to
    themselves, instead of being circumspect and to only consider the
    equipment by itself.
    RichA, Oct 11, 2011
  8. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >"Bruce" <> wrote in message
    >> "David J Taylor" <> wrote:
    >>>I tire of Rich's multi-posting, especially when it's completely
    >>>off-topic
    >>>and not even marked as such, don't you?

    >> Without Rich, this newsgroup would probably be dead. There are very
    >> few people starting new threads, but Rich does. I think it is
    >> particularly graceless to criticise someone who provides so many
    >> opportunities for discussion.

    >I would rather see a better signal to noise ratio here than discussion
    >which degenerate into politics or USA vs. Canada, or whatever.

    So would I. But if Rich leaves, we will be left with the SI and a few
    malicious geriatrics and little else.

    >>>The groups do have charters, as
    >>>you know, and an occasional reminder likely doesn't do any harm.

    >> You tire of Rich's multi-posting, despite the fact that he encourages
    >> discussion on a wide range of topics. I tire of your reminders.

    >Too wide a range - this is supposed to be about digital photography. Both
    >you and I have started on-topic threads recently.

    If you want to be a netcop, try it 3 or 4 times then, if the
    "offender" still ignores you, just give up. After that many
    reminders, if he/she carries on you are wasting your time, and
    repeated reminders are just as irritating as the "offences".

    >If this newsgroup were
    >dead, would we all have to join D P Review forums? <G>

    There must be an almost infinite number of places to discuss
    photography online that are better than DPReview forums. But I
    suppose they have their place. ;-)
    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011
  9. RichA

    Bruce Guest

    RichA <> wrote:

    >Well, lets say people who do digital and who are enthusiasts may still
    >have an interest in film. They may not have enough interest to
    >frequent the 35mm forum, but something novel comes along, they might
    >like to hear about it. But in future, if I do post something like
    >that, I'll headline the subject with what it is, that way the posts
    >can be avoided by those who aren't interested.
    >As for Dpreview...
    >It's no better there for a somewhat related reason. You get system-
    >tied cranks who freak out if you describe another camera than the
    >forum deals with. It takes about 7-8 posts in a thread before the (I
    >hate using the term) "fanboys" start screaming "troll!!" because they
    >didn't like one comparison or other.
    >Some people have a low tolerance for (in their minds) having their
    >choices questioned, they relate criticism of the camera directly to
    >themselves, instead of being circumspect and to only consider the
    >equipment by itself.

    Wise words.

    It seems bizarre, to say the least, that the 35mm newsgroup lives on,
    mainly because most of its contributors have long believed that film
    is dead. Likewise, the slr-systems newsgroup has to a great extent
    been marginalised because of the excellent CSC systems that are now
    available. Perhaps some idiot will now start a separate newsgroup for
    those ... I hope not. We have enough of a shambles already.

    Yet people still get irrationally upset about cross-posting or
    off-topic messages or just about anything else that *they* don't like
    (no doubt my UK English spelling offends some people too). That's a
    sign of some disorder or other that would probably be helped by expert
    counselling.
    Bruce, Oct 11, 2011