    Registered Linux User 413057.
    Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06
    You can have it all. My empire of hurt.

    Aardvark, May 10, 2007

  2. Aardvark

    Kraftee Guest

    Aardvark wrote:
    > Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now.
    > There was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
    >
    > BTW I have no connection :)
    >
    > http://www.landmineclearance.com/

    Old idea in a new format, nice to see the circular theory of
    developement in operation

    Kraftee, May 11, 2007

  3. Blinky the Shark, May 11, 2007
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:59:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > The tank-mounted mine flail was first used over 60 years ago, in World
    > War II.

    I know that. Here in the UK they were called (somewhat strangely) Frail
    tanks (or flail tanks). What struck me about the Aardvark was the fact
    that it's operated by one man protected by 2 inches of armour and 2 inch
    armoured glass, as well as the scoop at the front right behind the chain
    flails.

    In the programme, the camera was inside the with the operator when an
    anti-tank mine was detonated. The cab shook slightly and a muffled thump
    was heard. That's what I found impressive. I've seen and heard a number
    of explosive devices detonating in the past and the minimal effect on the
    occupants of the machine was pretty cool.

    Aardvark, May 11, 2007
  5. Aardvark wrote:
    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 23:59:03 +0000, Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> The tank-mounted mine flail was first used over 60 years ago, in World
    >> War II.

    > I know that. Here in the UK they were called (somewhat strangely) Frail
    > tanks (or flail tanks). What struck me about the Aardvark was the fact

    Yeah, "frail tanks" is kinda odd.

    > that it's operated by one man protected by 2 inches of armour and 2 inch
    > armoured glass, as well as the scoop at the front right behind the chain
    > flails.

    Ah. I thought it was just the concept of the...frail <g> that struck
    you.

    > In the programme, the camera was inside the with the operator when an
    > anti-tank mine was detonated. The cab shook slightly and a muffled thump
    > was heard. That's what I found impressive. I've seen and heard a number
    > of explosive devices detonating in the past and the minimal effect on the
    > occupants of the machine was pretty cool.

    Gotcha.

    That's not a Future Weapons I've seen. I don't have cable, but my buddy
    records those and we watch them together. Might not have that one,
    since you just saw it and his DVR just broke and I think he only got the
    replacement from his satellite provider today. (He's the only reason I
    get to see "Dogfight", too, which is a tres bitchin' show.)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, May 11, 2007
  6. Aardvark

    Alfred Guest

    Alfred, May 11, 2007
  7. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:19:54 +0100, Alfred wrote:

    > On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:59:33 GMT, Aardvark <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
    >>was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
    >>
    >>BTW I have no connection :)
    >>
    >>http://www.landmineclearance.com/

    > An update on WW2 flail tanks used for mine clearing
    >
    > example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg
    >
    > Or
    > http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshistory/part16/scorpion-tankmuseum.jpg

    Yep. The original flail tanks. One on a Sherman and the other on an
    indeterminate WW2 British tank.

    Aardvark, May 11, 2007
  8. Aardvark

    Alfred Guest

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 13:44:58 GMT, Aardvark <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 May 2007 14:19:54 +0100, Alfred wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, 10 May 2007 22:59:33 GMT, Aardvark <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
    >>>was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
    >>>
    >>>BTW I have no connection :)
    >>>
    >>>http://www.landmineclearance.com/

    >> An update on WW2 flail tanks used for mine clearing
    >>
    >> example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg
    >>
    >> Or
    >> http://www.remuseum.org.uk/corpshistory/part16/scorpion-tankmuseum.jpg

    >Yep. The original flail tanks. One on a Sherman and the other on an
    >indeterminate WW2 British tank.

    The British one is a Scorpion light tank from the 1970s. I actually
    thought they were still in use but a check on the net shows they were
    taken out of service in the early 90s.

    Alfred, May 11, 2007
  9. Aardvark

    Guest

    , May 11, 2007
  10. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 11 May 2007 08:58:27 -0700, Pennywise wrote:

    > Alfred <> wrote:
    >
    >>example http://mailer.fsu.edu/~akirk/tanks/safrica/flail.jpg

    > Lucky guy who gets to sit up front.

    His ears would be ringing after a day's work :)

    A modern anti-tank mine containing 10kg of modern high explosive would
    blow the whole front end off the original flail tanks.

    Aardvark, May 11, 2007
  11. Aardvark

    Lookout Guest

    wrote:

    >Was watching 'Future Weapons' on Discovery Civilisations just now. There
    >was an amazing machine shown so I thought I'd share.
    >
    >BTW I have no connection :)
    >
    >http://www.landmineclearance.com/

    If Bill Murray had one of those in Caddy Shack the movie would have
    been about 3 minutes long.

    Lookout, May 12, 2007