this is getting a little bit silly now

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    everytime I try to do something I need to go get something else to make
    it work. started with installing satelite drivers which I needed the
    make command. went to install gcc but haven't got the srcdir command.
    so I found this make 3.80 command and now I get this:

    xp2100:~/Desktop/make-3.80# ./configure
    checking for gawk... no
    checking for mawk... mawk
    checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... no
    checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... (cached) no
    checking for gcc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cc... no
    checking for cl... no
    configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    xp2100:~/Desktop/make-3.80#

    so what do I look for now?
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003

  2. cowboyz

    Jeremia d. Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 15:04:00 +1200, cowboyz wrote:
    [snip]
    > checking for gcc... no
    > checking for cc... no
    > checking for cc... no
    > checking for cl... no
    > configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
    > xp2100:~/Desktop/make-3.80#
    >
    > so what do I look for now?

    http://gcc.gnu.org/
    A compiler, what distrobution are you using? There should be a package
    from them for these.
    Jeremia d., Jul 13, 2003

  3. >
    > lindowsOS3., already been to gcc thing but havent got srcdir so couldnt
    > install it.
    >
    > ive given up on lindows anyway and going for mandrake 9.1 which is currently
    > downloading

    srcdir isnt something you need to download, its the source directory for what
    you are installing.
    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Jul 13, 2003
  4. On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 at 04:19 GMT, cowboyz wrote:
    > "Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > lindowsOS3., already been to gcc thing but havent got srcdir so

    > couldnt
    >> > install it.
    >> >
    >> > ive given up on lindows anyway and going for mandrake 9.1 which is

    > currently
    >> > downloading

    >> srcdir isnt something you need to download, its the source directory for

    > what
    >> you are installing.
    >>

    > Hmmm. I had to type srcdir/configure and it says no file. I followed the
    > instructions to the letter. Don't know whats wrong then.

    Replace srcdir with the directory created when you unpacked the
    tarball.

    For example, xboard-4.2.6.tar.gz unpacks into a directory called
    xboard-4.2.6:

    xboard-4.2.6/configure

    More usually, you would cd into that directory:

    cd xboard-4.2.6
    ../configure && make

    --
    Chris F.A. Johnson http://cfaj.freeshell.org
    My code (if any) in this post is copyright 2003, Chris F.A. Johnson
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jul 13, 2003
  5. cowboyz

    Enkidu Guest

    On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 16:19:53 +1200, "cowboyz" <>
    wrote:

    >"Richard Malcolm-Smith" <> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > lindowsOS3., already been to gcc thing but havent got srcdir so

    >couldnt
    >> > install it.
    >> >
    >> > ive given up on lindows anyway and going for mandrake 9.1 which is

    >currently
    >> > downloading

    >> srcdir isnt something you need to download, its the source directory for

    >what
    >> you are installing.
    >>

    >Hmmm. I had to type srcdir/configure and it says no file. I followed the
    >instructions to the letter. Don't know whats wrong then.

    Well, what was the name of the directory where you put the source?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 13, 2003
  6. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    > >> srcdir isnt something you need to download, its the source directory

    for
    > >what
    > >> you are installing.
    > >>

    > >Hmmm. I had to type srcdir/configure and it says no file. I followed

    the
    > >instructions to the letter. Don't know whats wrong then.
    > >

    > Well, what was the name of the directory where you put the source?

    root/t I think. I'd have to go check.

    --
    "It's what you learn after you know it all that counts."
    cowboyz, Jul 13, 2003
  7. cowboyz <> wrote:
    > Hmmm. I had to type srcdir/configure and it says no file. I followed the
    > instructions to the letter. Don't know whats wrong then.

    Dear cowboyz,

    you can't compile gcc without having a BINARY version already
    installed, it's a chicken and egg problem. Get a binary version
    for your distro, install it and go on.

    BTW
    Please don't open various threads surrounding the same problem

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Heiming, Jul 13, 2003
  8. cowboyz

    Seth Guest

    > ive given up on lindows anyway and going for mandrake 9.1 which is
    > currently downloading

    Good idea, I heard that you had to pay like $100 or something to get
    "additional" software packages for Lindows anyway....so that's probably
    where you would find the C compiler

    But, any linux system that doesnt come with gcc is lame in the first
    place. Mandrake "should" have it....Red Hat or Slackware "will" have it.

    Seth
    Seth, Jul 15, 2003
  9. cowboyz

    cowboyzlinux Guest

    On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 01:17:18 +0000, Seth wrote:

    >> ive given up on lindows anyway and going for mandrake 9.1 which is
    >> currently downloading

    > Good idea, I heard that you had to pay like $100 or something to get
    > "additional" software packages for Lindows anyway....so that's probably
    > where you would find the C compiler
    >
    > But, any linux system that doesnt come with gcc is lame in the first
    > place. Mandrake "should" have it....Red Hat or Slackware "will" have it.
    >
    > Seth

    Mandrake does have it and running it reasonably happily. Still can't get
    the satelite running but at least I'm getting reasonable error messages
    now instead of "go download something else"
    cowboyzlinux, Jul 15, 2003