    In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to take
    IE back to 'square one' so to speak?

    nobody760, Sep 12, 2003

  2. nobody760

    Big Guest

    On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:17:16 +0100, "nobody760" <>
    wrote:

    > I awoke this morning to find that some nice person had hijacked my
    >IE browser. IE > Properties > Home page panel was greyed out. I have XP Pro
    >here - no problem - do a system restore. Wouldn't have it. Cannot restore to
    >that date, or indeed any other date. I had loaded and installed 'HijackThis'
    >previously so by deleting (more by luck than design) what I thought were
    >dodgy entries that panel is no longer greyed out. I use blank to start but
    >the default page is also blank now.
    >
    > In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    >apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to take
    >IE back to 'square one' so to speak?

    YES XP Repair..

    Boot from the CD then select the Install option then you shoud see a R at the
    botton, select that for a repair..

    Big , Sep 12, 2003

  3. nobody760

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "nobody760" <> wrote in message
    > I awoke this morning to find that some nice person had hijacked my
    > IE browser. IE > Properties > Home page panel was greyed out. I have XP

    Pro
    > here - no problem - do a system restore. Wouldn't have it. Cannot restore

    > that date, or indeed any other date. I had loaded and installed

    'HijackThis'
    > previously so by deleting (more by luck than design) what I thought were
    > dodgy entries that panel is no longer greyed out. I use blank to start but
    > the default page is also blank now.
    >
    > In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    > apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to take
    > IE back to 'square one' so to speak?

    Are you sure that the security menu isn't now gone as well?
    There's a way that bastards could alter IE and OE through early versions of
    Java Virtual Machine including the one the version that comes with XP.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Sep 12, 2003
  4. nobody760

    Kookaburra Guest

    <> wrote:

    > I awoke this morning to find that some nice person had hijacked my
    >IE browser. IE > Properties > Home page panel was greyed out. I have XP Pro
    >here - no problem - do a system restore. Wouldn't have it. Cannot restore to
    >that date, or indeed any other date. I had loaded and installed 'HijackThis'
    >previously so by deleting (more by luck than design) what I thought were
    >dodgy entries that panel is no longer greyed out. I use blank to start but
    >the default page is also blank now.
    >
    > In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    >apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to take
    >IE back to 'square one' so to speak?

    There is an article about variants of a browser hyjacker called
    CoolWebSearch here plus a removal tool at the bottom of the page.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Sep 12, 2003
  5. "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    > Reinstall. That machine is no longer yours.

    And then don't run as Admin!

    Nathan Mercer, Sep 12, 2003
  6. nobody760

    k y l e Guest

    "Kookaburra" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:17:16 +0100, "nobody760"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I awoke this morning to find that some nice person had hijacked

    my
    > >IE browser. IE > Properties > Home page panel was greyed out. I have XP

    Pro
    > >here - no problem - do a system restore. Wouldn't have it. Cannot restore

    > >that date, or indeed any other date. I had loaded and installed

    'HijackThis'
    > >previously so by deleting (more by luck than design) what I thought were
    > >dodgy entries that panel is no longer greyed out. I use blank to start

    but
    > >the default page is also blank now.
    > >
    > > In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    > >apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to

    take
    > >IE back to 'square one' so to speak?
    > >

    > There is an article about variants of a browser hyjacker called
    > CoolWebSearch here plus a removal tool at the bottom of the page.
    >
    > http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    >
    > Cheers, Kooky

    Yeah what about just running something like Spybot - Search and Destroy or
    Ad Aware, before using the XP Repair or reinstall as a last resort?

    k y l e, Sep 12, 2003
  7. nobody760

    Kookaburra Guest

    On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 00:41:03 +1200, "k y l e" <> wrote:

    >"Kookaburra" <> wrote in message
    >> There is an article about variants of a browser hyjacker called
    >> CoolWebSearch here plus a removal tool at the bottom of the page.
    >>
    >> http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/cwschronicles.html
    >>
    >> Cheers, Kooky

    >Yeah what about just running something like Spybot - Search and Destroy or
    >Ad Aware, before using the XP Repair or reinstall as a last resort?

    Adaware and SpyBot wwould not remove CoolWebSearch hijacker. Where
    as this CWS Shreader did according to the guy who posted this
    information into the Microsoft group where I got the link.

    Cheers, Kooky

    Kookaburra, Sep 12, 2003
  8. nobody760

    jfwilson Guest

    > Adaware and SpyBot wwould not remove CoolWebSearch hijacker. Where
    > as this CWS Shreader did according to the guy who posted this
    > information into the Microsoft group where I got the link.
    >
    > Cheers, Kooky

    I caught this cws thingy on on my comp last week, found
    the bootconf.exe more by luck than judgement and deleted it.
    I ran the CWShreader.exe anyway and it found and
    deleted half a dozen more associated files.

    jfwilson, Sep 13, 2003
  9. nobody760

    steve Guest

    nobody760 allegedly said:

    > I awoke this morning to find that some nice person had hijacked my
    > IE browser. IE > Properties > Home page panel was greyed out. I have XP
    > Pro here - no problem - do a system restore. Wouldn't have it. Cannot
    > restore to that date, or indeed any other date. I had loaded and installed
    > 'HijackThis' previously so by deleting (more by luck than design) what I
    > thought were dodgy entries that panel is no longer greyed out. I use blank
    > to start but the default page is also blank now.
    >
    > In Windows 98 you could repair IE via Add/Remove Programs -
    > apparently this is not the case in XP. Is there a simple way in XP to take
    > IE back to 'square one' so to speak?

    "Simple"?

    Re-install.....and wait until it happens again.

    I gave up on this kind of crap went to Linux.

    steve, Sep 13, 2003
  10. nobody760

    Who is this Guest

    In article <WPB8b.1033$>,
    steve <> wrote:

    > "Simple"?
    >
    > Re-install.....and wait until it happens again.
    >
    > I gave up on this kind of crap went to Linux.

    I never had it...but then again I use Macs.

    Who is this, Sep 13, 2003
  11. nobody760

    Paul Guest

    Get adaware or Spybot

    Spyware or programs you
    install can install spyware that
    can hijack the browser.

    One of these will remove it completely.

    Paul, Sep 14, 2003
  12. nobody760

    Hugh Lilly Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > "Enkidu" <> wrote in message
    >> Reinstall. That machine is no longer yours.

    > And then don't run as Admin!

    And why is being an Administrator the default option?

    Microsoft Windows: Insecure By Design

    By Rob Pegoraro
    The Washington Post
    Sunday, August 24, 2003; Page F07

    Between the Blaster worm and the Sobig virus, it's been a long two weeks for
    Windows users. But nobody with a Mac or a Linux PC has had to lose a moment
    of sleep over these outbreaks -- just like in earlier "malware" epidemics.

    This is not a coincidence.

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=printer
    --
    (C) 2003 Hugh Lilly