    have sex with it.

    Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    Bobs, Dec 28, 2006

  2. T'was the 28 Dec 2006 02:01:04 -0800 when I remembered "Bobs"
    <> saying something like this:

    >Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    >They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    I refuse to believe! It's like mixing Hydrogen and anti-Hydrogen
    together! Your words are near heresy, which side are you on, Good or
    Evil?

    PS - I didn't say which side was Good or Evil. I like to think the BBC
    Micro was on the side of Good.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 28, 2006

  3. On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:51:13 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > T'was the 28 Dec 2006 02:01:04 -0800 when I remembered "Bobs"
    > <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    >>They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    > I refuse to believe! It's like mixing Hydrogen and anti-Hydrogen
    > together! Your words are near heresy, which side are you on

    Dare I mention "dual-boot system"? :)

    I understand Windows behaves if it doesn't know about Linux ie if you
    install Windows first.

    Or does that just mean a Windows box can be prone to Linux-possession? ;)

    Abstract Reasoning, Dec 28, 2006
  4. On 28 Dec 2006 02:01:04 -0800, "Bobs" <> wrote:

    >I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
    >world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
    >how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
    >what they're basing it on).
    >
    >I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
    >have sex with it.
    >
    >Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    >They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    So true, if Linux is so good , well, go use it but why this industry
    of running down other programs...
    gezz, get a life guys, its an operating system!
    me think they guys cant form relationships hence try to have it off
    with linux. very confused lads
    Images of home (NZ)
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz/home
    What we are up to in the UK
    http://www.titahi-bay.co.nz

    John in Wembley, Dec 28, 2006
  5. Bobs

    Shane Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > PS - I didn't say which side was Good or Evil. I like to think the BBC
    > Micro was on the side of Good.

    Thems fighting words!
    Its Acorn or die!!!
    --
    TV show character: Why should I believe you? You're Hitler!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Dec 28, 2006
  6. T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 00:24:47 +1300 when I remembered Abstract
    Reasoning <> saying something like this:

    >I understand Windows behaves if it doesn't know about Linux ie if you
    >install Windows first.

    I live in a virtual world of operating systems, using Virtual PC 6 on
    Vista. I find that to be the easiest way of getting my fix of
    operating system madness while still having a reliable base.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 28, 2006
  7. T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:12:39 +1300 when I remembered Shane
    <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:

    >> PS - I didn't say which side was Good or Evil. I like to think the BBC
    >> Micro was on the side of Good.

    >Thems fighting words!
    >Its Acorn or die!!!

    My first computer was back in 1991, a BBC Micro. That was followed
    closely in the same year by an Acorn Archimedes.

    I remember the BBC Micro had a program where you could type words
    into, and it would read them back to you, synthesized voice and all.
    Awesome.

    And Lander! Now that was an awesome game, 3D graphics and everything:)
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 28, 2006
  8. Bobs

    Damos Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 09:05:30 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    > T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 08:12:39 +1300 when I remembered Shane
    > <-a-geek.net> saying something like this:
    >
    >>> PS - I didn't say which side was Good or Evil. I like to think the BBC
    >>> Micro was on the side of Good.

    >> Thems fighting words!
    >> Its Acorn or die!!!

    > My first computer was back in 1991, a BBC Micro. That was followed
    > closely in the same year by an Acorn Archimedes.
    >
    > I remember the BBC Micro had a program where you could type words
    > into, and it would read them back to you, synthesized voice and all.
    > Awesome.
    >
    > And Lander! Now that was an awesome game, 3D graphics and everything:)

    I got an Acorn ELectron in 1986...still have it sitting in the garage.

    I still rember the hours wasted playing Elite in B+W. Almost as many hours
    as wasted trying to
    get the damn thing to load from tape.

    Still amazes me how such a great game was fit into only 32k. Hoping for a
    cellphone port.
    (Now play it on pc in embulation mode)

    Damos

    --
    "It's a foreboding I have - maybe ill placed - of my children's generation
    or my grandchildren's generation ... when clutching our horoscopes, our

    Carl Sagan.

    Damos, Dec 28, 2006
  9. Hi there,

    Abstract Reasoning wrote:
    > On Thu, 28 Dec 2006 23:51:13 +1300, Waylon Kenning wrote:
    >

    >>T'was the 28 Dec 2006 02:01:04 -0800 when I remembered "Bobs"
    >><> saying something like this:
    >>

    >>>Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    >>>They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    >>I refuse to believe! It's like mixing Hydrogen and anti-Hydrogen
    >>together! Your words are near heresy, which side are you on

    > Dare I mention "dual-boot system"? :)

    Yeah, I've got W2K Pro installed, along with suse 10.1 and 10.2.
    I also run W2K Pro as a vmplayer vm...

    > I understand Windows behaves if it doesn't know about Linux ie if you
    > install Windows first.

    Quite right. Windows must go on first, unless you have a free
    FAT32/NTFS partition at the start of your disk. You'll need to
    reinstall your linux bootloader once Windows is installed, but
    Windows *should* leave your linux partition alone...

    > Or does that just mean a Windows box can be prone to Linux-possession? ;)

    Unless I'm playing Windows specific games, like Far Cry, I boot
    W2K Pro as a virtual machine in vmplayer. I can still do my
    AutoCAD learning in that, and its still quite fast. Since I
    run beryl with latest nvidia drivers in linux I can make
    Windows do the wobbly window trick... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 28, 2006
  10. Bobs

    peterwn Guest

    John in Wembley wrote:

    > So true, if Linux is so good , well, go use it but why this industry
    > of running down other programs...
    > gezz, get a life guys, its an operating system!
    > me think they guys cant form relationships hence try to have it off
    > with linux. very confused lads

    Simply because the 'other side' is doing its damdness to kill Linux off
    with FUD, pay off 'consultanys' to produce loaded TCO reports,
    apparently supporting SCO in its lawsuit over Linux, giving away Vista
    loaded laptops and all expenses paid trips to visit Billy boy, etc to
    bloggers to encourage them to write favorably on Vista and to 'run
    down' the opposition.

    If 'the other side' and its acolytes lay off Linux, then Linux fans
    will quickly forget about them.

    peterwn, Dec 28, 2006
  11. Bobs

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On 28 Dec 2006 15:13:44 -0800, "peterwn" <>
    exclaimed:

    >John in Wembley wrote:
    >
    >> So true, if Linux is so good , well, go use it but why this industry
    >> of running down other programs...
    >> gezz, get a life guys, its an operating system!
    >> me think they guys cant form relationships hence try to have it off
    >> with linux. very confused lads

    >Simply because the 'other side' is doing its damdness to kill Linux off
    >with FUD, pay off 'consultanys' to produce loaded TCO reports,
    >apparently supporting SCO in its lawsuit over Linux, giving away Vista
    >loaded laptops and all expenses paid trips to visit Billy boy, etc to
    >bloggers to encourage them to write favorably on Vista and to 'run
    >down' the opposition.
    >
    >If 'the other side' and its acolytes lay off Linux, then Linux fans
    >will quickly forget about them.

    Oh, come on. So the fact that MS promotes Vista by giving away a few
    laptops and trips gives the Linux vealots open license to post their
    bullshit lies and FUD about it?

    Whatever.

    I'm a Windows and Linux user, believe it or not. However you mostly
    see me making pro-Windows posts here in response to the desperate
    trolling by certain Linux zealots who post, in my opinion, what
    amounts to lies. A certain one spends all day trying to find negative
    "reviews" about Vista (mostly from Linux sites) as part of a
    coordinated attempt by a certain faction of Linux geeks to scuttle
    Vista before it is released, as they know it is a major breakthrough
    in desktop OSs and will leave their beloved but clunky and prehistoric
    desktop OS for dead.

    Linux is fantastic when used to it's strength, for instance web
    servers, firewalls, etc. Windows is fantastic when used to it's
    strength, for instance a desktop tool, and a Windows network server.
    One is not the bees knees for everything, and anyone who tries to say
    it is is a fool.

    There are no shortage of fools here, and yes, most are Linux geeks.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 28, 2006
  12. Bobs

    El Chippy Guest

    "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote

    > Unless I'm playing Windows specific games, like Far Cry, I boot
    > W2K Pro as a virtual machine in vmplayer. I can still do my
    > AutoCAD learning in that, and its still quite fast. Since I
    > run beryl with latest nvidia drivers in linux I can make
    > Windows do the wobbly window trick... :)

    Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
    specs does your machine have?

    I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
    windows xp as a vm under linux?

    And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?

    It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$ until
    i can find someone that can confirm this.

    El Chippy, Dec 29, 2006
  13. Bobs

    Shane Guest

    El Chippy wrote:

    > I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
    > windows xp as a vm under linux?
    >
    > And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?
    >
    > It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$
    > until i can find someone that can confirm this.

    Why not download VMWare yourself and try, it will cost you nothing but time,
    bandwidth and disk space

    http://www.vmware.com/download/server/

    --
    Bender: Gee whiz, Santa. You want me to help you?
    Fry: [to Bender] Don't do it! He's evil!

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Dec 29, 2006
  14. Bobs

    steve Guest

    Bobs wrote:

    > I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
    > world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
    > how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
    > what they're basing it on).

    Vista has been released.

    Yes, many more people here 9and elsewhere) now use Linux than ever before.

    Thank you for noticing.

    > I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
    > have sex with it.

    That would be one more silly thing you claim to think.

    > Please, a gentle reminder. WINDOWS AND LINUX ARE COMPUTER PROGRAMS.
    > They aren't worth getting all riled up about. They can co-exist.

    So what are you upset about?

    :)

    --
    Only boring people are bored.

    steve, Dec 29, 2006
  15. T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 14:47:18 +1300 when I remembered steve
    <> saying something like this:

    >> I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
    >> world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
    >> how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
    >> what they're basing it on).

    >Vista has been released.

    I've been using the RTM build for about a month now. I find it
    awesome. It's just easy to do stuff. Things are detected, things work.
    That's the best thing about it to date. I certainly would pick Vista
    over Windows XP.
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 29, 2006
  16. On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 12:59:36 +1300, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > Linux is fantastic when used to it's strength, for instance web
    > servers, firewalls, etc. Windows is fantastic when used to it's
    > strength, for instance a desktop tool, and a Windows network server.
    > One is not the bees knees for everything, and anyone who tries to say
    > it is is a fool.

    Linux works just fine as a desktop.

    Current uptime on my desktop box is: 19 days.

    Current session - logged in since 17th Dec, and at least one of the
    desktop applications that I'm using has been running consecutively since
    17th Dec.

    How many Windows users can claim that sort of reliability of their desktop
    software - or, <sniggaaaar>, even of M$ Windows!

    Aquilegia Alyssum

    --
    MS Windows Vista - broken by design
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

    Aquilegia Alyssum, Dec 29, 2006
  17. Hi there,

    El Chippy wrote:
    > "Chris Wilkinson" <> wrote
    >
    >>Unless I'm playing Windows specific games, like Far Cry, I boot
    >>W2K Pro as a virtual machine in vmplayer. I can still do my
    >>AutoCAD learning in that, and its still quite fast. Since I
    >>run beryl with latest nvidia drivers in linux I can make
    >>Windows do the wobbly window trick... :)

    > Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
    > specs does your machine have?

    AutoCAD 2000, and its an Athlon64 3000+, with GeForce 6800GS AGP
    graphics card, and 1GB RAM...no slug, but not totally high-end.
    Its running 32-bit SuSE 10.1...

    > I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
    > windows xp as a vm under linux?

    Easy. Just follow these instructions...

    http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18

    > And do you know how Diablo2 would run in vmware?
    >
    > It appears that D2 is supported by cedega but im not keen to spend $$$ until
    > i can find someone that can confirm this.

    I wouldn't hold your breath about Diablo in vmplayer. It seems
    that basic OpenGL stuff is fine, but anything that requires a
    newer Direct3D seems to have trouble.

    Chris Wilkinson, Dec 29, 2006
  18. Bobs

    Matty F Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    > I mean, seriously. I just popped in here to see what's going on in the
    > world and all I can see splashed everywhere is how great linux is and
    > how much Vista sucks (which hasn't even been released yet, so not sure
    > what they're basing it on).
    >
    > I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
    > have sex with it.

    Of course they do. What else did you think the hole in the middle of
    the disc was for?

    Matty F, Dec 29, 2006
  19. Bobs

    Chris Lim Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > > I honestly think that some people here burn copies of linux to disc and
    > > have sex with it.

    > Of course they do. What else did you think the hole in the middle of
    > the disc was for?

    Thank you for that wonderful mental image.

    Chris Lim, Dec 29, 2006
  20. Bobs

    El Chippy Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 18:39:44 +1000, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > El Chippy wrote:
    >>
    >> Interesting.. which version of Autocad are you running? and waht sort of
    >> specs does your machine have?

    > AutoCAD 2000, and its an Athlon64 3000+, with GeForce 6800GS AGP
    > graphics card, and 1GB RAM...no slug, but not totally high-end.
    > Its running 32-bit SuSE 10.1...

    Hmmm, i will have to give this a go with autocad 2007 and inventor to see
    how it goes. My needs are fairly basic, so hopefully wont tax my system
    too much.

    >> I've never played with vmplayer or VMware.. how do i go about running
    >> windows xp as a vm under linux?

    > Easy. Just follow these instructions...
    >
    > http://linux.wolphination.com/?p=18

    Excellent, i will have a go at this sometime in the new year when i have
    recovered from the inevitable celebratory over-indulgence.

    > I wouldn't hold your breath about Diablo in vmplayer. It seems that
    > basic OpenGL stuff is fine, but anything that requires a newer Direct3D
    > seems to have trouble.

    It is listed as fully supported under wine so i will try to get that going
    once i find my install disks.

    It seems i may be able to avoid running XP again in the near future,
    unless i decide to break out some other games.

    El Chippy, Dec 29, 2006