This free firewall any good?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Rusty James, Feb 19, 2007.

  1. Rusty James

    Rusty James Guest

    Rusty James, Feb 19, 2007

  2. Seniors Guide to Computers, Feb 19, 2007

  3. Rusty James wrote:

    > Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
    > good firewall and it is free:
    >
    > http://www.techspot.com/downloads/2311-comodo-personal-firewall.html

    This is no firewall, means: this host-based packet filter is not suitable
    for even building a bridging or routing firewall, neither a proxy firewall.

    It can't be good either, since for no good reason it tries to hook
    functions on file system, the registry and some memory and process
    management stuff. Such a thing doesn't belong to a firewall and only
    increases complexity. I wonder what they're trying to achieve.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Feb 19, 2007
  4. Rusty James

    Vanguard Guest

    "Rusty James" <> wrote in message
    > Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
    > good firewall and it is free:

    <snip - duplicate post but *multiposted* instead of crossposted>

    When submitting the SAME post to MULTIPLE newsgroups, cross-post! Do
    not multipost multiple but *separate* copies of the same message.
    General rule of courtesy is that the newsgroups must be RELATED and do
    not include more than 4 newsgroups (if you can actually find that many
    that are related and NOT a parent of another group).

    A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the
    space for separate copies of the same post. Crossposted messages have
    just *one* copy on the server and the groups simply have pointers back
    to that same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk space on the server.
    Yes, your post is small but remember that you consume N times the space
    on one server and then do so on all the newsgroups servers worldwide.

    Crossposting helps readers in one group see the replies from those in
    another RELATED newsgroup to which you copied your post. That way, they
    don't waste their time duplicating similar replies that already exist.

    Vanguard, Feb 21, 2007
  5. "Vanguard" <> wrote in message news:erghls$e3o$...
    > "Rusty James" <> wrote in message
    >> Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
    >> good firewall and it is free:

    > <snip - duplicate post but *multiposted* instead of crossposted>
    >
    > When submitting the SAME post to MULTIPLE newsgroups, cross-post! Do not
    > multipost multiple but *separate* copies of the same message. General rule
    > of courtesy is that the newsgroups must be RELATED and do not include more
    > than 4 newsgroups (if you can actually find that many that are related and
    > NOT a parent of another group).
    >
    > http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/xpost.html
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossposting
    >
    > A point not made is that N multiposted copies will consume N times the
    > space for separate copies of the same post. Crossposted messages have
    > just *one* copy on the server and the groups simply have pointers back to
    > that same single copy. Multiposting wastes disk space on the server. Yes,
    > your post is small but remember that you consume N times the space on one
    > server and then do so on all the newsgroups servers worldwide.
    >
    > Crossposting helps readers in one group see the replies from those in
    > another RELATED newsgroup to which you copied your post. That way, they
    > don't waste their time duplicating similar replies that already exist.

    Uh-oh! More newsgroup police!

    Senior's Guide to Computers
    http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    Seniors Guide to Computers, Feb 21, 2007
  6. "Sebastian Gottschalk" <> wrote in message
    > Rusty James wrote:
    >
    >> Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
    >> good firewall and it is free:
    >>
    >> http://www.techspot.com/downloads/2311-comodo-personal-firewall.html

    > This is no firewall, means: this host-based packet filter is not suitable
    > for even building a bridging or routing firewall, neither a proxy
    > firewall.
    >
    > It can't be good either, since for no good reason it tries to hook
    > functions on file system, the registry and some memory and process
    > management stuff. Such a thing doesn't belong to a firewall and only
    > increases complexity. I wonder what they're trying to achieve.

    Comodo is PC Magazine's Editor's Choice:

    Seniors Guide to Computers, Feb 21, 2007
  7. Rusty James

    B. Nice Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:24:35 -0500, "Seniors Guide to Computers"
    <> wrote:

    >Comodo is PC Magazine's Editor's Choice
    >http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1969207,00.asp

    Yes. And your point is?

    The reviewer quotes some usual marketing nonsense like:
    "Comodo successfully put my test-bed system's ports into stealth mode.
    They weren't just closed to hackers' manipulation; they were
    completely invisible from outside."

    And more nonsense:
    "If you don't have firewall protection, your system is a train wreck
    waiting to happen"

    B. Nice, Feb 21, 2007
  8. Rusty James

    traveler 66 Guest

    On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 07:24:35 -0500, Seniors Guide to Computers wrote:

    > "Sebastian Gottschalk" <> wrote in message
    >> Rusty James wrote:
    >>
    >>> Please check this out and let me know if you think this would be a
    >>> good firewall and it is free:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.techspot.com/downloads/2311-comodo-personal-firewall.html

    >> This is no firewall, means: this host-based packet filter is not suitable
    >> for even building a bridging or routing firewall, neither a proxy
    >> firewall.
    >>
    >> It can't be good either, since for no good reason it tries to hook
    >> functions on file system, the registry and some memory and process
    >> management stuff. Such a thing doesn't belong to a firewall and only
    >> increases complexity. I wonder what they're trying to achieve.

    > Comodo is PC Magazine's Editor's Choice:
    >
    > Senior's Guide to Computers
    > http://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    You'll learn to ignore him in time, his nickname is Mikey, he doesn't like
    anything.

    traveler 66, Feb 21, 2007
  9. Rusty James

    Vanguard Guest

    "Seniors Guide to Computers" wrote in message
    > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    >> "Rusty James" wrote ...
    >>
    >> <snip - duplicate post but *multiposted* instead of crossposted>

    <snip - my post about why the OP should crosspost instead of multipost>

    > Uh-oh! More newsgroup police!

    Uh-oh! More boobs using Usenet and prosyltizing anarchy rather than
    promoting politeness to other users and to the service providers.
    Apparently "Seniors (blah blah)" thinks seniors are too stupid to learn
    manners.

    Vanguard, Feb 22, 2007
  10. Rusty James

    Todd H. Guest

    "Vanguard" <> writes:

    > "Seniors Guide to Computers" wrote in message
    > > "Vanguard" wrote ...
    > >> "Rusty James" wrote ...
    > >>
    > >> <snip - duplicate post but *multiposted* instead of crossposted>
    > >>

    > <snip - my post about why the OP should crosspost instead of multipost>
    > >
    > > Uh-oh! More newsgroup police!

    > Uh-oh! More boobs using Usenet and prosyltizing anarchy rather than
    > promoting politeness to other users and to the service
    > providers. Apparently "Seniors (blah blah)" thinks seniors are too
    > stupid to learn manners.

    LOL...damn...

    Vanguard, that was a brilliant comeback.

    Seniors Guide, if you want to swing your dick around as though you're
    some kind of authority, it'd behoove you to learn some netquette and
    not be such a twerp when someone points it out. You'll be easier to
    take seriously at a future time.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

    Todd H., Feb 22, 2007
  11. "Todd H." <> wrote in message
    > "Vanguard" <> writes:
    >
    >> "Seniors Guide to Computers" wrote in message
    >> > "Vanguard" wrote ...

    >> <snip - my post about why the OP should crosspost instead of multipost>
    >> >
    >> > Uh-oh! More newsgroup police!

    >> Uh-oh! More boobs using Usenet and prosyltizing anarchy rather than
    >> promoting politeness to other users and to the service
    >> providers. Apparently "Seniors (blah blah)" thinks seniors are too
    >> stupid to learn manners.

    > LOL...damn...
    >
    > Vanguard, that was a brilliant comeback.
    >
    > Seniors Guide, if you want to swing your dick around as though you're
    > some kind of authority, it'd behoove you to learn some netquette and
    > not be such a twerp when someone points it out. You'll be easier to
    > take seriously at a future time.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.
    > http://www.toddh.net/

    And your point is?

    Seniors Guide to Computers, Feb 22, 2007
  12. Rusty James

    Default User Guest

    On Thu, 22 Feb 2007 09:27:46 -0500, "Seniors Guide to Computers"
    <> wrote:

    >And your point is?
    >
    >Senior's Guide to Computers
    >htxx://www.seniorsguidetocomputers.com

    Your domain has just been banned on all my networks.

    HAND

    Default User, Feb 22, 2007
  13. Rusty James

    Todd H. Guest

    "Seniors Guide to Computers" <> writes:

    > And your point is?

    That for someone trying to be an authority to instruct seniors, you
    sure seem to have the douchebag tendencies of an obstinate 13 year
    old.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.