    the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    port". It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?
    Jeffy3, Dec 4, 2008

  2. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 4, 2:58 am, "philo" <> wrote:
    > "Jeffy3" <> wrote in message

    > > I have two USB 2.0 slots in my computer and I use an external hard
    > > drive. All of a sudden when I plug in the external hard drive I get
    > > the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    > > port".  It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    > > operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?

    > Did you change the USB cable on your external drive recently?
    >
    > *Some* cables will not sustain USB 2 speeds.
    >
    > (The USB-1 cables were often thinner than USB-2 cables)
    >
    > Also check in device manager,
    > USB should be identified as "enhanced" if the drivers are correct

    No, I haven't changed the cable. In fact I exchanged the cable with
    another cable and still got the message. The USB in device manager
    says enhanced too. Also, when I plug in my USB2 MP3 player I don't get
    the message. I only get it with my external hard drive.
    Jeffy3, Dec 4, 2008

  3. On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:52:27 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    wrote:

    >I have two USB 2.0 slots in my computer and I use an external hard
    >drive. All of a sudden when I plug in the external hard drive I get
    >the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    >port". It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    >operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?

    I had that problem a few months ago. I have no idea what caused it.
    The fix was easy. Switch off the drive. Uninstall the device. Switch
    back on and let it reinstall.

    Steve

    --
    Neural Planner Software Ltd http://www.NPSL1.com

    Artificial neural networks applications.
    Stephen Wolstenholme, Dec 4, 2008
  4. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:52:27 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I have two USB 2.0 slots in my computer and I use an external hard
    >>drive. All of a sudden when I plug in the external hard drive I get
    >>the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    >>port". It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    >>operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?

    > I had that problem a few months ago. I have no idea what caused it.
    > The fix was easy. Switch off the drive. Uninstall the device. Switch
    > back on and let it reinstall.

    Yup. First thing to check - corrupted drivers. Entirely possible it
    reverts to a less capable version.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 5, 2008
  5. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 4, 7:21 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote innews::
    >
    > > On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:52:27 -0800 (PST), Jeffy3 <>
    > > wrote:

    > >>I have two USB 2.0 slots in my computer and I use an external hard
    > >>drive. All of a sudden when I plug in the external hard drive I get
    > >>the balloon that says "this device could run faster with a usb 2.0
    > >>port".  It still works but is very slow now so I suspect it is
    > >>operating like a USB 1.0 device. Any ideas?

    > > I had that problem a few months ago. I have no idea what caused it.
    > > The fix was easy. Switch off the drive. Uninstall the device. Switch
    > > back on and let it reinstall.

    > Yup. First thing to check - corrupted drivers. Entirely possible it
    > reverts to a less capable version.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

    Thanks to all. I will try this tonight at home. When you say switch
    off the drive, you mean I right click on it an select uninstall?
    Jeffy3, Dec 5, 2008
  6. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 5, 9:11 am, Jeffy3 <> wrote:
    > On Dec 4, 7:21 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >

    > > Stephen Wolstenholme <> wrote innews::

    > > > I had that problem a few months ago. I have no idea what caused it.
    > > > The fix was easy. Switch off the drive. Uninstall the device. Switch
    > > > back on and let it reinstall.

    > > Yup. First thing to check - corrupted drivers. Entirely possible it
    > > reverts to a less capable version.

    > > --
    > > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )

    > Thanks to all. I will try this tonight at home. When you say switch
    > off the drive, you mean I right click on it an select uninstall?- Hide quoted text -

    I got my hands on another external drive of the same make and model
    and plugged that in, and did not get the error message, so I believe I
    have narrowed down my problem to the hard drive itself. Can anyone
    help? Has the drive gone bad? I can still access info on it but it
    just comes through slow as if on a USB 1.0 port.
    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  7. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Jeffy3 <> wrote in

    >> > Yup. First thing to check - corrupted drivers. Entirely possible it
    >> > reverts to a less capable version.

    >> Thanks to all. I will try this tonight at home. When you say switch
    >> off the drive, you mean I right click on it an select uninstall?

    > I got my hands on another external drive of the same make and model
    > and plugged that in, and did not get the error message, so I believe I
    > have narrowed down my problem to the hard drive itself. Can anyone
    > help? Has the drive gone bad? I can still access info on it but it
    > just comes through slow as if on a USB 1.0 port.

    Ok, it sounds to me like the problem *is* the drive or the cable. Try
    using the USB cable for the new drive on the old drive. If that works, you
    need to replace the cable. Similarly, if it *doesn't* fix the problem, the
    problem is the drive that needs replacing.

    This is all assuming that you *bave* disconnected and reconnected the old
    drive while the computer was in windows (with the old cable). This should
    be done only after unmounting the drive of course. If you haven't tried
    this, and you get good drivers, then the problem was only the drivers and
    you needn't worry about it any more.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  8. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 5, 8:20 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    > Jeffy3 <> wrote innews::

    > >> Thanks to all. I will try this tonight at home. When you say switch
    > >> off the drive, you mean I right click on it an select uninstall?

    > > I got my hands on another external drive of the same make and model
    > > and plugged that in, and did not get the error message, so I believe I
    > > have narrowed down my problem to the hard drive itself.  Can anyone
    > > help?  Has the drive gone bad? I can still access info on it but it
    > > just comes through slow as if on a USB 1.0 port.

    > Ok, it sounds to me like the problem *is* the drive or the cable. Try
    > using the USB cable for the new drive on the old drive. If that works, you
    > need to replace the cable. Similarly, if it *doesn't* fix the problem, the
    > problem is the drive that needs replacing.
    >
    > This is all assuming that you *bave* disconnected and reconnected the old
    > drive while the computer was in windows (with the old cable). This should
    > be done only after unmounting the drive of course. If you haven't tried
    > this, and you get good drivers, then the problem was only the drivers and
    > you needn't worry about it any more.
    >
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil)  car(chuck) )- Hide quoted text -

    Chuck, thanks. Did you see my additional posting where I advised that
    I seem to have narrowed down the problem to the external hard drive
    itself? I hooked up a drive of the same model with the same cable and
    did NOT get the "this device will run faster" message, meaning for
    some reason my external hard drive is being recognized as a 1.0 device
    for some reason. I suppose one solution is to transfer everything
    from the old drive to the other external hard drive, but 87 GB of data
    will probably take days to transfer at 1.0 speed!
    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  9. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Jeffy3 <> wrote in

    > On Dec 5, 8:20 pm, chuckcar <> wrote:
    >> Jeffy3 <> wrote
    >> innews:ca49c04b-ff5f-4f6e-baa5-dc27b80f

    > :

    >> > I got my hands on another external drive of the same make and model
    >> > and plugged that in, and did not get the error message, so I believe
    >> > I have narrowed down my problem to the hard drive itself.  Can anyone
    >> > help?  Has the drive gone bad? I can still access info on it but it
    >> > just comes through slow as if on a USB 1.0 port.

    >> Ok, it sounds to me like the problem *is* the drive or the cable. Try
    >> using the USB cable for the new drive on the old drive. If that works,
    >> yo

    >> need to replace the cable. Similarly, if it *doesn't* fix the problem,
    >> th

    >> problem is the drive that needs replacing.
    >>
    >> This is all assuming that you *bave* disconnected and reconnected the
    >> old drive while the computer was in windows (with the old cable). This
    >> should be done only after unmounting the drive of course. If you
    >> haven't tried this, and you get good drivers, then the problem was only
    >> the drivers and you needn't worry about it any more.
    >>

    > Chuck, thanks. Did you see my additional posting where I advised that
    > I seem to have narrowed down the problem to the external hard drive
    > itself? I hooked up a drive of the same model with the same cable and
    > did NOT get the "this device will run faster" message, meaning for
    > some reason my external hard drive is being recognized as a 1.0 device
    > for some reason. I suppose one solution is to transfer everything
    > from the old drive to the other external hard drive, but 87 GB of data
    > will probably take days to transfer at 1.0 speed!

    Yes, I *did* see that. Now read what I just posted in my last message with
    that in mind. You don't know yet if you have a problem with the drive or
    not.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  10. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:20:32 -0800, wrote:

    >Your a very sad and lonely person Chucktard.

    chuckcar = 8 letters.
    back pedaling idiot = 17 letters.
    chuckcar has an IQ of 9.
    17-8 is 9.

    Coincidence? I think not.
    Evan Platt, Dec 6, 2008
  11. Jeffy3

    Jeffy3 Guest

    On Dec 6, 4:11 pm, Evan Platt <>
    wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:20:32 -0800, wrote:
    > >Your a very sad and lonely person Chucktard.

    > chuckcar = 8 letters.
    > back pedaling idiot = 17 letters.
    > chuckcar has an IQ of 9.
    > 17-8 is 9.
    >
    > Coincidence? I think not.

    Unfortunately I've tried all this and none of it helped, but thanks to
    all. It's weird, like the device thinks it's a USB 1.0 device.
    Jeffy3, Dec 6, 2008
  12. Jeffy3

    Art Guest

    Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 12:20:32 -0800, wrote:
    >
    >> Your a very sad and lonely person Chucktard.

    > chuckcar = 8 letters.
    > back pedaling idiot = 17 letters.
    > chuckcar has an IQ of 9.
    > 17-8 is 9.
    >
    > Coincidence? I think not.

    chuckcar = 8 letters
    shortbus = 8 letters

    chuckcar belongs on the short bus.

    --
    Art
    Art, Dec 6, 2008
  13. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    Jeffy3 <> wrote in

    > Unfortunately I've tried all this and none of it helped, but thanks to
    > all. It's weird, like the device thinks it's a USB 1.0 device.

    You removed everything under USB in device manager? you tried using the
    cables for the new drive? There *are* a lot of idiots here who don't like
    the idea of me fixing a problem. This message was a reply to two of them.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 6, 2008
  14. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:45:20 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >There *are* a lot of idiots here

    Not that many. But you're in that group.

    >who don't like the idea of me

    <Trying to>

    >fixing a problem.

    Yeah. The generic Chucktard solution:

    Reset your bios.
    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  15. Jeffy3

    Guest

    Jeffy3 <> wrote:

    >Unfortunately I've tried all this and none of it helped, but thanks to
    >all. It's weird, like the device thinks it's a USB 1.0 device.

    Sorry guy, gave it a try.

    Your not plugging this into a hub (USB cord extension?) are you, the
    hub could be USB 1.0.

    Take the drive to a friends or work and plug it in, should tell you if
    it's the drive or your OS.

    --

    War is like, heck.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Passchendaele_aerial_view.jpg
  16. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 23:45:15 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >He'll need it. I just took another look at the "fix". It's the wrong key
    >anyways. The *proper* key would be hklm\current_user\enum\usb.

    Funny, I don't have a current_user under HKLM.
    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  17. Jeffy3

    chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > Jeffy3 <> wrote:
    >
    >>Unfortunately I've tried all this and none of it helped, but thanks to
    >>all. It's weird, like the device thinks it's a USB 1.0 device.

    > Sorry guy, gave it a try.
    >
    > Your not plugging this into a hub (USB cord extension?) are you, the
    > hub could be USB 1.0.
    >
    > Take the drive to a friends or work and plug it in, should tell you if
    > it's the drive or your OS.

    No you didn't you *explictly* interrupted the only person who was. Get a
    f*ing clue. Welcome to troll-land.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Dec 7, 2008
  18. Jeffy3

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 03:08:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar <>
    wrote:

    >Welcome to troll-land.

    .... From the King himself.
    Evan Platt, Dec 7, 2008
  19. Jeffy3

    john sumner Guest

    wrote in news:8knlj496voifg06jh7pqpq41u89851iavr@
    4ax.com:

    > Kman used to have a very informative website, it appears to be down
    > now; mayhaps for good (he's dead you know).
    >
    > I will admit tho deleting all of those registry entries does take a
    > leap of faith :)
    >
    > Just be sure to use ERUNT to backup your registry, if you follow his
    > advice. If anything goes wrong you can use a XP CD to boot up with
    > (repair console window) and run the restore, one of may ways to
    > restore your registry with ERUNT (don't need to boot into the system
    > like Windows restore requires).
    >
    > Luck.

    I dont think that was me that was going to do something like that, did not
    know he was dead.
    john sumner, Dec 7, 2008
  20. Jeffy3

    Guest

    Jeffy3 <> wrote:

    >Somehow suddenly all is well! I know you're all excited. I had
    >uninstalled a newer dvd program and that didn't do the trick but
    >suddenly after I emptied my recycle bin the external hard drive
    >started operating as usb 2.0 again!

    That's funny, sometimes it takes the oddest things to fix something.

    Good for you.
    --

    Baby dragon
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/nissk/2360665717/in/photostream/