    --
    Gigabyte ga-81955x Royal with Intel Pentium 4 Processor Exttreme Edition
    3.46 1066 fsb 2 Gb ram ddr2 pc6400
    =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=, Jul 28, 2005

  2. "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    Hello,

    > Yet when I try to install windows xp x64 I get CPU is not compatible

    It seems that your Processor is not a 64 bit Version. AFAIK has not the
    EMT64 Extension.

    http://www.hardtecs4u.com/reviews/2005/intel_p4_6xx/

    The 3,64 Version is not x64 compatible.

    Daniel
    Daniel Herrmann, Jul 28, 2005

  3. The two cpu's show when the real cpu has hyperthreading enabled.
    If you had a dual core cpu with hyperthreading you would see four cpu's.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 28, 2005
  4. If it isnt EM64T then it wont work with x64.
    Joseph Conway [MSFT], Jul 28, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    Jimmy Guest

    This is exactly why Microsoft is NOT making 64-bit windows a RETAIL product.

    Jimmy, Jul 28, 2005
  6. You mean I can't connect two of my 32bit machines and run a 64bit OS?
    Questions like that? :)

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 29, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    bal Guest

    Mitch Wrote:
    > My system is running windows xp pro.
    > Task manager shows two CPU`s
    > Yet when I try to install windows xp x64 I get CPU is not compatible
    > --
    > Gigabyte ga-81955x Royal with Intel Pentium 4 Processor Exttrem
    > Edition
    > 3.46 1066 fsb 2 Gb ram ddr2 pc6400

    If I was you I wood check your processor no on

    Intel.com to see if you have got what you are spouse to have

    I am on Gigabyte ga-81955x Royal with Intel Pentium 4 Processor Extrem
    Edition

    And it is working fine

    BA

    --
    ba
    bal's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=621
    bal, Jul 29, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    It depends on the manufucture (if it was brought as a package) as to wether
    they want to supply the P4 with EMT64.

    If it was built by him self the the P4 he chose was an P4 without EMT64
    which is why it don't work and in order to use Windows XP X64 he would need
    to go out and buy the P4 with EMT64 or stick with XPSP2 and see if he can
    get a refund on Windows XP X64.
    ..

    DKI, Jul 29, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    "Mitch" <> wrote in message
    > My system is running windows xp pro.
    > Task manager shows two CPU`s
    > Yet when I try to install windows xp x64 I get CPU is not compatible
    > --
    > Gigabyte ga-81955x Royal with Intel Pentium 4 Processor Exttreme Edition
    > 3.46 1066 fsb 2 Gb ram ddr2 pc6400

    You do not have a 64 bit processor. The P4 3.46 EE is a 32 bit processor.

    Bobby
    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 30, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    NoNoBadDog! Guest

    Another brain dead idiot chimes in with a completely wrong answer.

    Jimmy, just shut up. You're not big enough to play with the big boys.

    Are you really as stupid as your post makes you sound?

    F'ing idiot.

    Bobby

    NoNoBadDog!, Jul 30, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?TWl0Y2g=?=

    Jimmy Guest

    It was not an "answer" at all. It was a comment. The "answer" is the one
    already provided by the messagebox: the cpu is not compatible. Apparently,
    the OP did not believe that to be correct, and believed their version of the
    P4 to be 64-bit, hence the posting. But, if it were a retail product, it
    would have been a customer-support call - which is why Microsoft chose to
    make this not a retail product.

    How many different versions of the Pentium 4 are available? Which have
    EM64T support? Apparently, 3.46 does not, but 3.73 does, and 3.37 does not.
    3.73 vs. 3.37 - one pair of digits swapped is a big difference between
    64-bit support and not. Going forward, how often will Microsoft need to
    update their 64-bit-compatible CPU list?

    In this case, the OP knew the version of his P4, but how many people would?
    How many people would be able to figure out what version of the CPU was in
    their machine, if they did not already know? How much customer-support time
    would be burned just trying to figure that out? ("Okay, boot from the
    CD" -- two minutes later -- "Okay, now run CPUDETECT from SUPPORT... enter C
    D backslash support..." -- never mind, we all know that nightmare!!!)

    Then, what about the mainboard? There actually could be a 64-bit cpu
    installed, but maybe the BIOS needs to be updated. Explain that over the
    phone!!!

    No, I stand by my previous statement that this is exactly why Microsoft
    chose to not make this a retail product!

    Jimmy, Aug 2, 2005