    a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).

    TIA

    Ron

    Big Ron, Jun 14, 2006

  2. Big Ron

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Big Ron came up with the following;:
    > A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
    > friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared
    > after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were
    > enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of
    > prosecution,

    Potentially.

    Realistically the chances of MS taking a single user to court for a single
    illegal use of their software is remote, unles someone 'points the finger'
    and suggests there may be more to it than one copy and also points to the
    'mate at work'.

    > or can it safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She
    > uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at
    > work." (Win XP).

    I'd suggest that the price of XP, [1] considered as an integral part of the
    price of a computer, is minimal and well worth the expense, especially for
    the less computer literate.

    [1] Notwithstanding all the other 'free' OS's available out there somewhere
    .... ;)

    --
    Paul ...
    (8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

    Paul - xxx, Jun 14, 2006

  3. Big Ron

    George Guest

    Big Ron wrote:
    > A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up
    > on a friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It
    > appeared after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic
    > updates were enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in
    > terms of prosecution, or can it safely be ignored , or better still
    > disabled. She uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded
    > by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Ron

    She has a corrupted file in the system32 folder(I think). It has something
    to do with updates and when the automatic updates can't communicate that
    window pops up. It is annoying. I ended up with a format and fresh
    install. If you find out which file is corrupted, you can copy from the
    I386 folder on the xp disk (I think.)

    George, Jun 14, 2006
  4. Big Ron

    Dan Evans Guest

    "George" <> wrote in message
    > Big Ron wrote:
    >> A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up
    >> on a friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It
    >> appeared after a trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic
    >> updates were enabled, I've since disabled them. Is this risky in
    >> terms of prosecution, or can it safely be ignored , or better still
    >> disabled. She uses the comp on the web a lot, and the OS was loaded
    >> by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> Ron

    > She has a corrupted file in the system32 folder(I think).

    You think wrong. You'd best hope the Kadiatcha man doesn't see your post.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Jun 14, 2006
  5. Big Ron

    Guest

    "Big Ron" <> wrote:

    |>A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
    |>friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared after a
    |>trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were enabled, I've
    |>since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of prosecution, or can it
    |>safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She uses the comp on the web
    |>a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).

    Google: disable WGA

    and then disable Auto Updates or choose to select the updates you
    want.

    Start | Run <type in> wuaucpl.cpl <enter>
    And don't download the WGA again

    --
    http://jesuspan.com/

    , Jun 14, 2006
  6. Big Ron

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Big Ron" <> wrote:

    >A message saying "You may be the victim of software piracy" comes up on a
    >friends comp in the bottom right corner when booted up. It appeared after a
    >trip to Microsoft Update site, when automatic updates were enabled, I've
    >since disabled them. Is this risky in terms of prosecution, or can it
    >safely be ignored , or better still disabled. She uses the comp on the web
    >a lot, and the OS was loaded by "her mate at work." (Win XP).
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >Ron

    an issue with WGA incorrectly identifying some copies of Windows as
    suspect. The latest version of WGA has fixed this and a number of
    people (not all of them by any means as some of the WGA hits are
    correct) have found that their Windows is now accepted as genuine.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Jun 14, 2006
  7. Big Ron

    mike Guest

    Well, besides the glitches and someone fumbling the c:\Windows folder,
    your friend might also have been ripped off by the people he bought the
    computer or SW from.

    Do the updates (get the new tool)

    If it persists
    If your friend bought that computer with operating system somewhere
    call the 800 #

    I did not yet hear that M$$$$ goes against a person calling the 800# with
    WTF....
    But I did hear that M$$$$$ goes really strong against idiots who think
    they can sell bootlegged stuff.

    Your friend will get his money back, and M$$$ usually does nothing but
    flag that and tell you to replace it.

    If your friend, however, ripped it off somewhere: well, just right. Why
    steal THAT!

    Mike

    mike, Jun 15, 2006