This applies only to Virginians

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007

  2. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    >an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >
    >http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html
    >Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >
    >I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    It's double jeopardy; A class action suit will be filed and monies
    returned.

    This happened in Washington, if you got caught without a drivers
    licenses you got the fine plus they stored your car for a month ($3000
    storage fee) it lasted a few months.
    --
    http://lineage2.plaync.jp/l2fun/flashGame.aspx
    , Jun 24, 2007

  3. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 01:02:29 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:

    > But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    > an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html
    > Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >
    > I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    Or just drive the speed limit.

    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    #8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
    COOSN-266-06-25794
    Meat Plow, Jun 24, 2007
  4. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Guest

    wrote:

    >plus they stored your car for a month ($3000
    >storage fee) it lasted a few months.

    I'm on a roll :) the car was impounded and the cost to get it back in
    a month was only $1000 U.S..

    But the law is no more.
  5. wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    >>an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>
    >>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html
    >>Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>
    >>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    > It's double jeopardy; A class action suit will be filed and monies
    > returned.
    >
    > This happened in Washington, if you got caught without a drivers
    > licenses you got the fine plus they stored your car for a month ($3000
    > storage fee) it lasted a few months.

    I hope you're right. Not that I get that many tickets, but at these
    rates it would only take one to be a huge hit on me. If you'll notice in
    the article, it specifically says that roads in northern VA need more
    funds, oddly enough where the politicos are from that got this bill
    passed. That's nearly 500 miles away from me. Why should I pay for their
    fucking pothole repairs. Jeez. It's not like the roads in my area are in
    super duper condition.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  6. Meat Plow wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 01:02:29 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >

    >>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    >>an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>
    >>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html
    >>Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>
    >>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    > Or just drive the speed limit.

    That's an unreasonable expectation. Give me some time and I'll think of
    an argument to back that up.
    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  7. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 24, 2007
  8. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    GHalleck Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    > Meat Plow wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 01:02:29 -0400, Rôgêr wrote:
    >>

    >>> But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to
    >>> keep an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR2007062201781.html
    >>>
    >>> Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>>
    >>> I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    >> Or just drive the speed limit.

    > That's an unreasonable expectation. Give me some time and I'll think of
    > an argument to back that up.

    Establish a Maryland residency and become a Maryland driver.
    GHalleck, Jun 24, 2007
  9. GHalleck wrote:

    > Establish a Maryland residency and become a Maryland driver.

    For the first time it's appealing to become a Kentucky or Tennessee
    resident (both are much closer to me than Maryland). But what I'm trying
    to do is point out the absurdity of this new law. Hopefully it'll get
    shot down in Virginia, but if they start passing laws like this in every
    state people will be afraid to drive their car. What if I'm guilty of
    just not paying enough attention coming down one of the many mountains
    around here and get a ticket that will cost $1,250? But if you do the
    same thing on the same stretch of road but have out of state tags, your
    fine would be $200. It just seems insane to me.
    =?windows-1252?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  10. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    elaich Guest

    Rôgêr <> wrote in

    > But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    > an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR20070
    > 62201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >
    > I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    I grew up in Virginia and spent a good part of my life there. This is
    typical. This is the reason I jokingly refer to it as "The Communist-wealth
    of Virginia."

    Do they still have those mandatory town or county windshield stickers?

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?
    elaich, Jun 24, 2007
  11. elaich wrote:
    > Rôgêr <> wrote in
    >

    >>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want to keep
    >>an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>
    >>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22/AR20070
    >>62201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>
    >>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob banks.

    > I grew up in Virginia and spent a good part of my life there. This is
    > typical. This is the reason I jokingly refer to it as "The Communist-wealth
    > of Virginia."
    >
    > Do they still have those mandatory town or county windshield stickers?

    Both.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  12. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want
    > to keep an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >
    > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22
    > /AR2007062201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >
    > I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob
    > banks.

    seems like the best course of action is to obey the law,
    theortically, you have nothing to fear if you do.

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Jun 24, 2007
  13. HEMI-Powered wrote:
    > Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >

    >>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want
    >>to keep an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>
    >>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22
    >>/AR2007062201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>
    >>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob
    >>banks.

    > seems like the best course of action is to obey the law,
    > theortically, you have nothing to fear if you do.

    Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  14. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:58:05 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >HEMI-Powered wrote:
    >> Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...
    >>

    >>>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want
    >>>to keep an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/22
    >>>/AR2007062201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob
    >>>banks.

    >> seems like the best course of action is to obey the law,
    >> theortically, you have nothing to fear if you do.

    >Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke or something?"

    --
    <wilhelm> "Idiot prices fell today with the expected announcement
    from the Fed that there would be no shortage of idiots for the
    Mara, Jun 24, 2007
  15. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    gangle Guest

    "Mara" wrote
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:58:05 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >
    > >HEMI-Powered wrote:
    > >> Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    > >> seems like the best course of action is to obey the law,
    > >> theortically, you have nothing to fear if you do.

    > >Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    > Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke or something?"

    Yeppers, that which we call a tax by any other name would
    smell as sweet.
    gangle, Jun 24, 2007
  16. Mara wrote:
    > On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:58:05 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:
    >

    >>HEMI-Powered wrote:
    >>
    >>>Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >>Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    > Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke or something?"

    When you average out the different regions of Virginia, it's mostly
    well-to-do. There's some extremely high rent districts within the state,
    I'm not living in one of them. But the highway department has been
    struggling with a shortage of funds. Apparently some of the legislators
    in some of the extremely high rent areas decided it would be a good idea
    to have everyone in the state, economically depressed or not, help fund
    road repairs/improvements in their area.

    I spoke with the new governor himself about some of his stupid ideas (I
    didn't exactly say that out loud) on how to raise more money, he got
    glassy eyed when I told him of my ideas on how to spread the costs.

    As I said, maybe this new law will get tossed out.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 24, 2007
  17. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:35:40 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    >Mara wrote:

    >>>Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    >> Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke or something?"

    >When you average out the different regions of Virginia, it's mostly
    >well-to-do. There's some extremely high rent districts within the state,
    >I'm not living in one of them. But the highway department has been
    >struggling with a shortage of funds. Apparently some of the legislators
    >in some of the extremely high rent areas decided it would be a good idea
    >to have everyone in the state, economically depressed or not, help fund
    >road repairs/improvements in their area.

    In other words, they've decided they want to do something but don't want to pay
    for it out of existing funds, so they want to rip off their constituents. That's
    polyticks for you.

    >I spoke with the new governor himself about some of his stupid ideas (I
    >didn't exactly say that out loud) on how to raise more money, he got
    >glassy eyed when I told him of my ideas on how to spread the costs.

    Of course he would. Once they're in office it's time to forget all about who
    they're supposed to represent. Dubya is a perfect example of this.

    >As I said, maybe this new law will get tossed out.

    I hope so. IMHO it's absurd, and it smells like dog shit.

    Mara, Jun 24, 2007
  18. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    Mara Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:35:11 -0700, "gangle" <> wrote:

    >"Mara" wrote
    >> On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 09:58:05 -0400, Rôgêr <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >> >Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    >> Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke or something?"

    >Yeppers, that which we call a tax by any other name would
    >smell as sweet.

    I can sympathize, as my property valuation went up $5,000 this year, and all
    I've done was take care of the yard. Ridiculous.

    Mara, Jun 24, 2007
  19. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    Rôgêr added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

    >>>But I'm posting it because you people in other states may want
    >>>to keep an eye on what the legislature is up to:
    >>>
    >>>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-

    dyn/content/article/2007/06/22
    >>>/AR2007062201781.html Same page: http://tinyurl.com/2fr4h9
    >>>
    >>>I'm going to need a second or third job. Or learn to rob

    banks.

    >> seems like the best course of action is to obey the law,
    >> theortically, you have nothing to fear if you do.

    > Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    I can't answer that. If my state of Michigan did it, I would
    applaud the action as a simple way to increase state revenues
    without raising taxes. All one has to do to avoid the impound
    "tax" is just obey the law. But, if you feel it is a bad law,
    then, I'm sure that there's plenty of methods in VA for you to
    address this with, including writing your legislators and a
    petition drive. The former isn't likely to bear much fruit
    because those are the people that wrote the bill and your
    governor signed it.

    In the last 13 or so years, I've gotten only two speeding
    tickets, both of which I deserved. I didn't like it, of course,
    but going 60 in a 40 zone isn't smart on my part. Had I been
    picked up on radar at 65+, it would've been called reckless
    driving in addition to the speeding ticket. Besides the points on
    my licence, 12 in this case which puts me right at the limit
    where it gets suspended, I'd likely have been arrested and cuffed
    and my car impounded, although I think that our storage rates are
    more reasonable and not punitive in themselves as yours sound
    like that. But, after both of these brushes with the law, it was
    a damn good wake up call for me. And, in Michigan, depending on
    what else you're doing at the time, e.g., weaving lanes or
    tailgating, is sure to get me arrested. And, in MI, a cop can
    stop me if he sees I'm not wearing my seatbelts even if I commit
    no other moving violation.

    You and your fellow Virginians do what you think best, I stand by
    my comment - obey the laws and you'll not run afoul of this new
    "tax".

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Jun 24, 2007
  20. =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

    HEMI-Powered Guest

    gangle added these comments in the current discussion du jour
    >> >Of course, but the question is, "Is this a good law?"

    >> Actually a better question would be "Is the State going broke
    >> or something?"

    > Yeppers, that which we call a tax by any other name would
    > smell as sweet.

    In Michigan, which has a significant budget shortfall and has had
    for 4+ years, we've raised the tax on cigarrettes so that they're
    in the $6/pack range counting the cancer sticks themselve. I say
    "Great!". If you're dumb enough to smoke, then pay the price.

    Whether the OP's law is just another tax or not - and I suspect it
    is - it must have broad appeal else there'd already be law suits
    challenging its constitutionality in VA as well as possible recall
    petitions against those who voted for it. So, I ask, what is
    better, nail the people speeding and doing other unsafe things or
    raise the sales tax or income tax. It is hard to dodge the latter,
    but easy to avoid the impound "tax."

    --
    HP, aka Jerry
    HEMI-Powered, Jun 24, 2007