    have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
    well to print out this page before departing:

    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1248.shtm

    Cynicor, Mar 22, 2007

  2. Cynicor

    Just D Guest

    That's a very good advice, thanks a lot!

    Just D.

    "Cynicor"

    Just D, Mar 23, 2007

  3. Cynicor

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Cynicor wrote:

    > I was stopped at the security gate at SFO this morning and told that I
    > had to check my camera bag. I explained that they were mistaken, because
    > TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
    > has photographic equipment. The screener had never heard of this. He
    > sent me back to the American Airlines ticket window, where the clerk
    > argued with me about it. (She said "Yes, you can have a photo bag as
    > your second piece of checked luggage!" She also told me to print out the
    > "alleged" rule and show it to her.)
    >
    > Neither ticket clerk nor TSA screener knew the proper regulation in this
    > instance. I have not had problems with this in the past, but in case you
    > have plans to travel with a third bag of photo equipment, you might do
    > well to print out this page before departing:
    >
    > http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1248.shtm

    Most US Airlines only allow ONE carry on bag and another small item such as
    a purse, laptop, briefcase, or camera bag. They can't go over the TSA
    rules and allow more than 3 bags, but they CAN go under and allow less.

    I always check with the airline I'm flying on before I pack. I think
    all of them have web sites now that explain their particular luggage rules.

    The link below isn't an official site, but it gives a good idea at a
    glance what most airlines permit.

    http://www.luggageonline.com/about_airlines.cfm

    Jim Townsend, Mar 23, 2007
  4. Cynicor

    woops Guest

    thankfully they are not enforcing the 22x14x9 rule

    woops, Mar 23, 2007
  5. Cynicor

    Bucky Guest

    On Mar 22, 4:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > I explained that they were mistaken, because
    > TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
    > has photographic equipment.

    wow, I never knew that either. although it doesn't make any sense to
    me. If an airline has a 1 carry-on and 1 personal bag policy, why
    would they allow a 3rd camera bag? Especially if it's a large SLR bag?
    I think it would make the most sense to consider the camera bag as the
    personal bag, it my opinion.

    Bucky, Mar 23, 2007
  6. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >

    >> http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1248.shtm

    > Most US Airlines only allow ONE carry on bag and another small item such as
    > a purse, laptop, briefcase, or camera bag. They can't go over the TSA
    > rules and allow more than 3 bags, but they CAN go under and allow less.

    I know it's a decision per airline, but it was the TSA security checker
    who stopped me and who was unaware of this regulation in the first
    place. And the desk clerk was also unaware of the guideline.

    I figure it's better to have a printed record of the information as a
    basis for "discussion."

    Cynicor, Mar 23, 2007
  7. Cynicor

    Ken Lucke Guest

    In article <>,
    Bucky <> wrote:

    > On Mar 22, 4:14 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > > I explained that they were mistaken, because
    > > TSA guidelines permit a third carry-on (at airline's discretion) if it
    > > has photographic equipment.

    > wow, I never knew that either. although it doesn't make any sense to
    > me. If an airline has a 1 carry-on and 1 personal bag policy, why
    > would they allow a 3rd camera bag? Especially if it's a large SLR bag?
    > I think it would make the most sense to consider the camera bag as the
    > personal bag, it my opinion.

    In all probability, it's partially because they are aware that camera
    bags (as well as laptop cases, etc.) are one of the top priorities,
    theft-wise.

    TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
    inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
    such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
    bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
    relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
    destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
    $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
    Fragile" or similar warnings.

    independence.
    -- Charles A. Beard

    Ken Lucke, Mar 23, 2007
  8. Cynicor

    Matt Ion Guest

    Jim Townsend wrote:

    > I always check with the airline I'm flying on before I pack. I think
    > all of them have web sites now that explain their particular luggage rules.

    Yeah, doesn't help if the airport personnel don't read the websites.

    Matt Ion, Mar 23, 2007
  9. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Ken Lucke wrote:

    > TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
    > inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
    > such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
    > bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
    > relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
    > destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
    > $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
    > Fragile" or similar warnings.

    I asked the ticket agent how I could mark my bag as fragile, and she
    said that I could take a bag tag and write FRAGILE on it. I said "No
    thanks, that'll just be a signal for one of your employees to go through
    it and steal stuff," and she got indignant. Geez, lighten up Hattie!

    Cynicor, Mar 23, 2007
  10. Cynicor

    Paul J Gans Guest

    Cynicor <> wrote:
    >Ken Lucke wrote:
    >>
    >> TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
    >> inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
    >> such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves. Sending a LowePro
    >> bag through, heavy with equipment, is like asking for someone to help
    >> relieve you of the necessity of carrying it to your hotel at the
    >> destination end. Using a bright yellow StormCase screams "Here I Am!!!
    >> $$$$ Inside!!!! Rip Me Off!!!", as does marking anything "Caution,
    >> Fragile" or similar warnings.

    >I asked the ticket agent how I could mark my bag as fragile, and she
    >said that I could take a bag tag and write FRAGILE on it. I said "No
    >thanks, that'll just be a signal for one of your employees to go through
    >it and steal stuff," and she got indignant. Geez, lighten up Hattie!

    It makes one wonder why we go through all this pointless stuff.
    If things can be stolen *from* your checked luggage, things
    can be put *into* your checked luggage.

    Makes the entire exercise rather pointless, doesn't it?

    --
    --- Paul J. Gans

    Paul J Gans, Mar 23, 2007
  11. In article <230320070823205233%>, Ken Lucke
    <> wrote:

    > TIP: Checked camera equipment bags should always be further stuffed
    > inside of a beat-up old army-green duffle bag (or the equivalent) or
    > such, to help disquise them from would-be thieves.

    http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/09/expensive_camer.html

    has a reference to putting a starter pistol in your bag with cameras
    (in the appropriate case), declaring a firearm in your checked bag, and
    having the bag locked with your personal, non-TSA lock.

    This last month, one of my checked bags came out with the 'searched by
    TSA' piece of paper in it, and the bag was missing two pairs of cotton
    gloves and a personal pocket-sized notebook with notes and information
    on how to operate cameras and other gear. Nothing worth stealing, and I
    don't believe it was stolen - just negligently not put back in our bag.

    Phil Stripling, Mar 23, 2007
  12. Cynicor

    Just D Guest

    "Paul J Gans"
    > It makes one wonder why we go through all this pointless stuff.
    > If things can be stolen *from* your checked luggage, things
    > can be put *into* your checked luggage.

    ....and the person who got this extra stuff will be responsible for that,
    correct? Who will be able to proof that it's not his?

    Just D.

    Just D, Mar 24, 2007
  13. Cynicor

    Bucky Guest

    On Mar 23, 8:23 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    > In all probability, it's partially because they are aware that camera
    > bags (as well as laptop cases, etc.) are one of the top priorities,
    > theft-wise.

    yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2 carry-on's
    allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop bag. The laptop
    bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

    Bucky, Mar 24, 2007
  14. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Bucky wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 8:23 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    >> In all probability, it's partially because they are aware that camera
    >> bags (as well as laptop cases, etc.) are one of the top priorities,
    >> theft-wise.

    > yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2 carry-on's
    > allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop bag. The laptop
    > bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

    Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

    Cynicor, Mar 24, 2007
  15. Cynicor

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 3/24/07 7:45 AM, "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    > Bucky wrote:
    >> On Mar 23, 8:23 am, Ken Lucke <> wrote:
    >>> In all probability, it's partially because they are aware that camera
    >>> bags (as well as laptop cases, etc.) are one of the top priorities,
    >>> theft-wise.

    >> yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2 carry-on's
    >> allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop bag. The laptop
    >> bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

    > Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

    But TSA's statement is that a traveler may take a third bag containing
    photographic equipment through the security check. But the airlines are not
    required to allow a third carry-on bag on flights.

    My personal expereince is that most domestic flights don't have enough space
    for carry-on luggage today. Some people always have to check luggage that
    they hoped to carry-on. Until the airlines either have more space inside the
    cabins or enforce the rules on carry-on size, there is no reason for adding
    more luggage to an already over-filled area.

    If you want to carry a camera bag on to a plane, limit the rest of your
    carry-on items to a single moderate size bag. Make sure that at least one of
    these will fit under a normal airline seat.

    In any case, check with the airline that you are using and get their rules
    in writing. Even then, an airline may enforce stricter rules on individual
    flights if space is tight.

    Robert Haar, Mar 24, 2007
  16. Cynicor

    Cynicor Guest

    Robert Haar wrote:
    > On 3/24/07 7:45 AM, "Cynicor" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Bucky wrote:
    >>> yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2 carry-on's
    >>> allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop bag. The laptop
    >>> bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

    >> Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

    > But TSA's statement is that a traveler may take a third bag containing
    > photographic equipment through the security check. But the airlines are not
    > required to allow a third carry-on bag on flights.
    >
    > My personal expereince is that most domestic flights don't have enough space
    > for carry-on luggage today. Some people always have to check luggage that
    > they hoped to carry-on. Until the airlines either have more space inside the
    > cabins or enforce the rules on carry-on size, there is no reason for adding
    > more luggage to an already over-filled area.
    >
    > If you want to carry a camera bag on to a plane, limit the rest of your
    > carry-on items to a single moderate size bag. Make sure that at least one of
    > these will fit under a normal airline seat.
    >
    > In any case, check with the airline that you are using and get their rules
    > in writing. Even then, an airline may enforce stricter rules on individual
    > flights if space is tight.

    Correct. And the TSA security guard stopped me before the security
    check. My third bag was purse-sized.

    Cynicor, Mar 24, 2007
  17. Cynicor

    VK Guest

    On Mar 24, 7:37 pm, Cynicor <> wrote:
    > Correct. And the TSA security guard stopped me before the security
    > check. My third bag was purse-sized.

    Purse, eh, Nancy? I'll make sure to bring it up in the other forum.

    Seriously though - 3 bags is probably pushing it, and not the least b/
    c it is a discourtesy to other passengers who have less space for
    their gear.

    Fear of checking in "normal" luggage (ie, without valuables) is, IMO,
    overstated. I used to fly about 100k miles per year for the better
    part of a decade, and always used to check in bags. I've had quite a
    few international connections where my bags didnt make it (Frankfurt
    is the worst), but they always arrived and were delivered to my door.
    Never anything missing.

    2 bags is a-ok by me - one for camera gear, one for laptop and misc
    small items. Clothes, tripod, etc. go in checked bag.

    V.

    VK, Mar 24, 2007
  18. Cynicor

    Tony M Guest

    On 24/03/2007 15:33, * Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    > Cynicor wrote:
    >> Bucky wrote:
    >>>
    >>> yeah, but the camera bag should be included with 1 of the 2 carry-on's
    >>> allowed. After all, we don't get to have a 3rd laptop bag. The laptop
    >>> bag would count as the 2nd personal bag.

    >> Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

    > I agree. I've read the TSA (before this post), and I've even asked
    > at the airline, and I've always gotten a "Huh?" response.
    >
    > Why do you need to carry 3 bags? Even when I went to
    > Africa with 2 DSLR bodies, multiple lenses including up to
    > 500 mm f/4, I only carried 2 bags: one a photo backpack, and
    > one a small laptop bag. The main concern was weight limits,
    > not number of bags on some airlines. If you need extra space,
    > carry a photo vest and put some stuff in it--they don't
    > consider what you are wearing a carry-on.
    >
    > Roger

    Try travelling from a UK airport.

    One carry-on, no exceptions.

    Ladies, your purse IS your carry-on

    Tony M

    Tony M, Mar 24, 2007
  19. Cynicor

    Robert Haar Guest

    On 3/24/07 10:37 AM, "Cynicor" <> wrote:

    > Robert Haar wrote:

    >>> Yes, but according to the TSA it's not.

    >> But TSA's statement is that a traveler may take a third bag containing
    >> photographic equipment through the security check. But the airlines are not
    >> required to allow a third carry-on bag on flights.

    >> In any case, check with the airline that you are using and get their rules
    >> in writing. Even then, an airline may enforce stricter rules on individual
    >> flights if space is tight.

    > Correct. And the TSA security guard stopped me before the security
    > check.

    I fail to see the significance of saying that the guard stopped you before
    the checkpoint? Was the guard wandering around in the unsecured part of the
    terminal? Or was this as one of the screening steps in the security line?
    Often, there is an initial screening point where a TSA guard check IDs and
    boarding passes long before you get to the metal detector/X-ray machines.
    Sometimes, they also do other checks at that point. To me, the whole process
    comprises the security checkpoint.

    In any event, the TSA statement hat you referenced also says that carry-on
    taken through the checkpoint also has to comply with the carrier's rules.
    That suggests that TSA will enforce the airline's rules as well.

    > My third bag was purse-sized.

    The size of purses vary considerably. I have seen some things that were
    called purses that are bigger than my briefcase. If it was really a modest
    size, why not pack the contents into either your camera bag or the other
    carry-on?

    It seems to me that you are confusing TSA's saying that the airline "may"
    allow with "must" allow.

    Robert Haar, Mar 24, 2007

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Mar 24, 2007