Thinkpad T20 Supervisor Password

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    I've recently had cause to take my laptop to bits, which included removing
    the backup battery, and now on bootup it's saying "ERROR: 0271 - Check Date
    and Time Settings", and then prompting for a password, which I have deduced
    to be the supervisor password, as I've tried the methods as specified in the
    Hardware Maintenance Manual for resetting/removing the Power-on and Hard
    Disk passwords and they didn't work.

    According to the manual the only solution for this is to replace the
    motherboard, but that's £660 including VAT, and that's more than the whole
    laptop's worth!

    I've done quite a bit of searching, and apart from companies in America,
    Pakistan and Japan that have cropped up on some message boards, along with a
    few people that have developed a device that'll do the trick, all of which
    seem quite hard to contact (plus I haven't a clue exactly where these people
    are), the only real solution appears to be this one:

    http://www.ja.axxs.net/unlock/

    A bit of googling around reveals fairly good reports about this method, but
    I've seen how close together the pins are on the EEPROM chip and I really
    don't want to risk buggering my system up, so is there anyone out there
    (preferably in South-East England, or within an hour or two's drive of East
    Berkshire) who's successfully used this method before (and already has the
    interface built and ready to go), and would fix my laptop for a reasonable
    fee?

    Or could someone recommend a reliable company or individual who could reset
    my password using an equally valid, but maybe slightly different method?

    Or does anyone produce some form of device that fits onto the EEPROM chip
    (sort of piggy-backs on) that could then link up to another PC and obtain
    the password?

    Cheers,

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004

  2. AstraVanMan

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "AstraVanMan" <> wrote in

    > snipped <

    ====================
    KILL COMOS!!!
    http://www.utilitygeek.com/details.php?fileid=82

    ====================
    Also thought you might need this...
    ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/62p9631.pdf

    Service Manual.

    but to quote it.....

    How to remove the power-on password
    To remove a POP that you have forgotten, do the
    following:
    (A) If no SVP has been set:
    1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Remove the battery pack.
    For how to remove the battery pack, see “1010 Battery
    pack” on page 60.
    3. Remove the backup battery.
    For how to remove the backup battery, see “1020
    Backup battery” on page 61.
    4. Turn on the computer and wait until the POST ends.
    After the POST ends, the password prompt does not
    appear. The POP has been removed.
    5. Reinstall the backup battery and the battery pack.

    For other passwords i would read the manual.

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    Things I learnt in the army:
    Rowdy Yates, Feb 14, 2004

  3. AstraVanMan

    Jim Walker Guest

    It would be worth a call to IBM customer service even though the T20 is out
    of warranty. A simple question like whether the motherboard, or as IBM says
    system board, is bad might get answered. Perhaps it is a simple setting you
    could make. IBM will answer question when you are out of warranty and that
    is one of the reasons to buy more TPs. Cheers.

    --
    Jim Walker
    Northern Va

    Jim Walker, Feb 14, 2004
  4. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > KILL COMOS!!!
    > http://www.utilitygeek.com/details.php?fileid=82

    That won't work as it needs to go on a boot disk from what I can father -
    mine refuses to boot up full stop, hence the problem.

    > Also thought you might need this...
    > ftp://ftp.pc.ibm.com/pub/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/62p9631.pdf

    Is that the IBM Hardware Maintenance manual? Sounds like it, if the bit you
    quoted was from the above ftp link.

    <snip>

    > For other passwords i would read the manual.

    Which I did, and the only solution it gives is to replace the motherboard
    (system board). The reason for my post was that I am aware of methods of
    sorting my problem out, but would rather find someone vaguely near me who
    has successfully done it before, rather than risk buggering up my laptop
    doing it myself.

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004
  5. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > It would be worth a call to IBM customer service even though the T20 is
    out
    > of warranty. A simple question like whether the motherboard, or as IBM

    says
    > system board, is bad might get answered. Perhaps it is a simple setting

    you
    > could make. IBM will answer question when you are out of warranty and

    that
    > is one of the reasons to buy more TPs. Cheers.

    Thanks for your reply, but it looks like the only reply I'll get from IBM is
    "replace the motherboard" - at least that's what it says in the hardware
    maintenance manual, and I'm pretty sure I've read somwhere during my
    googling that someone got the same response from IBM when they phoned them
    up (or emailed them).

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004
  6. AstraVanMan

    Mick Guest

    Killcmos wont do it as the system password doesnt let the lappy boot to
    floppy.I have built the reader and used it successfully but am in
    Yorkshire.If you want to post it to me let me know.
    Mick

    Mick, Feb 14, 2004
  7. AstraVanMan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:49:40 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
    <> wrote:

    <snip>

    >prompting for a password, which I have deduced
    >to be the supervisor password, as I've tried the methods as specified in the
    >Hardware Maintenance Manual for resetting/removing the Power-on and Hard
    >Disk passwords and they didn't work.

    There are no methods in the book for removing the hard disk password
    +if+ you have set one,

    If you have set a supervisor password, enter it and you can access
    the machine.

    >I've done quite a bit of searching, and apart from companies in America,
    >Pakistan and Japan

    How about contacting http://www.ibm.com/uk

    They repair laptops, unless of course its nicked in which case
    your email address is appropriate.
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 14, 2004
  8. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > Killcmos wont do it as the system password doesnt let the lappy boot to
    > floppy.I have built the reader and used it successfully but am in
    > Yorkshire.If you want to post it to me let me know.

    Mick, drop me a line on Peter at ....swerveweb..... ...dot,,, ....com......

    Cheers,

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004
  9. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > There are no methods in the book for removing the hard disk password
    > +if+ you have set one,

    I'd have to read it again, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said - maybe
    it just bypasses it temporarily.

    > If you have set a supervisor password, enter it and you can access
    > the machine.

    That's just the problem - I haven't set a supervisor password. I've entered
    the BIOS setup before, but since I took it apart to replace a few damaged
    bits (due to my own carelessness) and put it all back together (all with
    brand new screws and exactly as per the manual) it boots up with the error
    code relating to the date and time and then, I'm guessing, tries to go to
    the BIOS setup so the date and time settings can be set, but requests the
    password, which I do not know.

    > >I've done quite a bit of searching, and apart from companies in America,
    > >Pakistan and Japan

    > How about contacting http://www.ibm.com/uk

    Well the only advice they would offer would be to replace the whole
    motherboard (£660 incl. VAT at their prices) - this is unless their advice
    would conflict with what is written in the hardware maintenance manual that
    I downloaded a few weeks ago from their website. Hence why I haven't
    bothered contacting them.

    > They repair laptops, unless of course its nicked in which case
    > your email address is appropriate.

    See above, and no it's not nicked, I bought it from a trader on ebay, who is
    now saying that all his laptops leave his posession with the passwords
    cleared (how this can be the case for the supervisor password I do not know
    as there appears to be no recognised method, apart from the "Joe in
    Australia" one, of clearing that password).

    It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
    looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry to
    the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
    battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

    And as for my email address, it's what's known as an anti-spam address. You
    have chosen to stick "no way" in your address to avoid getting spam - I have
    chosen to use the address I use. If someone wants to know my email address
    they can ask - works fine for me.

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004
  10. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > Clones UK in portsmouth told me last time I was visiting that they can
    > do it for a reasonable fee, mentioned 25quid or something similar.
    > Give them a call ,Its either Andy or Danny you need to speak to..

    That's who the guy who sold me the laptop recommended - I phoned them
    earlier on today but I'm guessing they only operate Monday-Friday. So far
    this looks like it's the nearest one to me.

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 14, 2004
  11. AstraVanMan

    ted.frater Guest

    ted.frater, Feb 14, 2004
  12. AstraVanMan

    Ian S. Guest

    > It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
    > looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

    > the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
    > battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

    I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
    eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
    arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
    answer?
    Ian S., Feb 14, 2004
  13. AstraVanMan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:19:31 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
    <> wrote:

    >> There are no methods in the book for removing the hard disk password
    >> +if+ you have set one,

    >I'd have to read it again, but I'm pretty sure that's what it said - maybe
    >it just bypasses it temporarily.
    >
    >> If you have set a supervisor password, enter it and you can access
    >> the machine.

    >That's just the problem - I haven't set a supervisor password. I've entered
    >the BIOS setup before, but since I took it apart to replace a few damaged
    >bits (due to my own carelessness) and put it all back together (all with
    >brand new screws and exactly as per the manual) it boots up with the error
    >code relating to the date and time and then, I'm guessing, tries to go to
    >the BIOS setup so the date and time settings can be set, but requests the
    >password, which I do not know.

    Well, I must admit I've been there and worked around it. However the
    disk password is another thing and I still have a clients HD with a
    password password set ... but one day it will be accessed again.

    These days all thinkpads are repaired at a central facility in the UK
    and it would be worth your while at least asking IBM

    Certainly on desktops if you can access the machine you can clear
    all CMOS passwords,

    BTW does the HD come out easily? Have you tried starting the
    system without that in? If its stored on the disk then a new disk
    is cheap enough. I seem to recall breaking into a TP that way.

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 15, 2004
  14. AstraVanMan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:26:25 -0700, "Ian S." <>
    wrote:

    >"AstraVanMan" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> It appears to be a common problem amongst the T-series Thinkpads, and it
    >> looks like even though the password wasn't ever requested before on entry

    >> the BIOS setup, it seems to automatically request it after the backup
    >> battery has been removed - not just in mine but many others it would seem.

    >I purchased a refurbished t22 last July and wonder if the same thing might
    >eventually happen to mine. I wonder if I could prevent that problem from
    >arising if I went ahead and set my own supervisor password. Anyone know the
    >answer?

    That sounds like a good idea.

    I have a feeling that the supervisor password is not actually stored
    in the CMOS but haven't really researched it enough
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 16, 2004
  15. AstraVanMan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:20:52 -0000, "AstraVanMan"
    <> wrote:

    >> Clones UK in portsmouth told me last time I was visiting that they can
    >> do it for a reasonable fee, mentioned 25quid or something similar.
    >> Give them a call ,Its either Andy or Danny you need to speak to..

    >That's who the guy who sold me the laptop recommended - I phoned them
    >earlier on today but I'm guessing they only operate Monday-Friday. So far
    >this looks like it's the nearest one to me.

    Let us know how you get on with them as its a common enough problem
    and a good solution is always welcome
    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 16, 2004
  16. AstraVanMan

    ted.frater Guest

    heres the update on this one. Ive heard back from the most experienced
    thinkpad dealers on the mailing list and theres no doubt about it. You
    do not need to set a pass word before changing the cmos battery. All
    those people that find themselves in that predicament have bought or
    had set a supervisor pass word before changing the cmos battery. This
    pass word is stored in the cmos and you can only get at it by Joe's
    method . Hes in Australia. He only speciallises in cracking thinkpads so
    dont try asking him to do anything else.
    Google pass word cracking on thinkpads and youll find him. He does know
    what he is doing.
    Its a difficult process and involves building a pcb with components.
    you have to follow his instructions exactly. If you dont youll screw up.
    ted.frater, Feb 16, 2004
  17. AstraVanMan

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:59:43 +0000, "ted.frater"
    <> wrote:

    >heres the update on this one. Ive heard back from the most experienced
    >thinkpad dealers on the mailing list and theres no doubt about it. You
    >do not need to set a pass word before changing the cmos battery. All
    >those people that find themselves in that predicament have bought or
    >had set a supervisor pass word before changing the cmos battery. This
    >pass word is stored in the cmos and you can only get at it by Joe's
    >method . Hes in Australia. He only speciallises in cracking thinkpads so
    >dont try asking him to do anything else.
    > Google pass word cracking on thinkpads and youll find him. He does know
    >what he is doing.
    >Its a difficult process and involves building a pcb with components.
    >you have to follow his instructions exactly. If you dont youll screw up.

    So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
    unconvinced..

    --
    Jim Watt http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Feb 16, 2004
  18. AstraVanMan

    JHEM Guest

    Jim Watt <_way> wrote:

    > So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
    > unconvinced..

    Ted is correct in principal, but flawed in one important detail.

    The SPW isn't stored in CMOS, it's written to an EEPROM on the MB.

    Joe's fix from down under works.

    No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
    removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you and
    Ted combined!

    Regards,

    James
    JHEM, Feb 17, 2004
  19. AstraVanMan

    AstraVanMan Guest

    > > So you say; I sell thinkpads, I also repair them and remain
    > > unconvinced..

    > Ted is correct in principal, but flawed in one important detail.
    >
    > The SPW isn't stored in CMOS, it's written to an EEPROM on the MB.
    >
    > Joe's fix from down under works.
    >
    > No, there's no way that a SPW just magically appears as the result of
    > removing the CMOS (RTC) battery, and I've fixed more Thinkpads that you

    and
    > Ted combined!

    Is there a possibility that it was present before, but just not activated,
    and the removal of the CMOS battery reactivated it?

    Because I've got into the BIOS setup before, and I definitely can't now.

    Peter
    AstraVanMan, Feb 17, 2004
  20. AstraVanMan

    ted.frater Guest

    Of course your right. What you said is in fact what i meant. I bow my
    head in humble sevitude!!
    ted.frater, Feb 17, 2004