    DIMMS and the boot process comes in as far as the welcome screen.

    I suspect the system board is faulty. Can anyone with experience of
    thinkpads confirm the probability?

    Obelisk, Nov 7, 2007

  2. Obelisk<> wrote in
    news::

    > I have a T20 thinkpad. I has just started booting as far as
    > the IBM welcome screen where options for bios setup and boot
    > device are. It will not go into the bios. Select that option
    > and it just hangs.
    >
    > I have gone through the checklist in the manual and removed
    > all FRUs as recommended and replaced them one at a time. No
    > beep codes except when DIMMS are removed and then the screen
    > remains blank. Replace DIMMS and the boot process comes in as
    > far as the welcome screen.
    >
    > I suspect the system board is faulty. Can anyone with
    > experience of thinkpads confirm the probability?

    I'm having the exact same problem, and that's what I've narrowed
    it down to.

    --
    }:) Christopher Jahn
    {:-( http://soflatheatre.blogspot.com/

    To find out a girl's faults, praise her to her girl friends.
    Christopher Jahn, Nov 8, 2007

  3. Obelisk

    meerkat Guest

    "Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message
    > Obelisk<> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a T20 thinkpad. I has just started booting as far as
    >> the IBM welcome screen where options for bios setup and boot
    >> device are. It will not go into the bios. Select that option
    >> and it just hangs.
    >>
    >> I have gone through the checklist in the manual and removed
    >> all FRUs as recommended and replaced them one at a time. No
    >> beep codes except when DIMMS are removed and then the screen
    >> remains blank. Replace DIMMS and the boot process comes in as
    >> far as the welcome screen.
    >>
    >> I suspect the system board is faulty. Can anyone with
    >> experience of thinkpads confirm the probability?
    >>

    > I'm having the exact same problem, and that's what I've narrowed
    > it down to.

    1. Try resetting the BIOS.
    2. Remove Dimms, then chase the beep codes to
    see what they are.
    meerkat, Nov 8, 2007
  4. Obelisk

    Obelisk Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 08:47:56 -0600, Christopher Jahn <>
    wrote:

    >Obelisk<> wrote in
    >
    >> I have a T20 thinkpad. I has just started booting as far as
    >> the IBM welcome screen where options for bios setup and boot
    >> device are. It will not go into the bios. Select that option
    >> and it just hangs.
    >>
    >> I have gone through the checklist in the manual and removed
    >> all FRUs as recommended and replaced them one at a time. No
    >> beep codes except when DIMMS are removed and then the screen
    >> remains blank. Replace DIMMS and the boot process comes in as
    >> far as the welcome screen.
    >>
    >> I suspect the system board is faulty. Can anyone with
    >> experience of thinkpads confirm the probability?
    >>

    >I'm having the exact same problem, and that's what I've narrowed
    >it down to.

    Guess it goes in the spares box then.
    Obelisk, Nov 8, 2007
  5. Obelisk

    Obelisk Guest

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:40:49 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:

    >"Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message
    >> Obelisk<> wrote in
    >>
    >>> I have a T20 thinkpad. I has just started booting as far as
    >>> the IBM welcome screen where options for bios setup and boot
    >>> device are. It will not go into the bios. Select that option
    >>> and it just hangs.
    >>>
    >>> I have gone through the checklist in the manual and removed
    >>> all FRUs as recommended and replaced them one at a time. No
    >>> beep codes except when DIMMS are removed and then the screen
    >>> remains blank. Replace DIMMS and the boot process comes in as
    >>> far as the welcome screen.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect the system board is faulty. Can anyone with
    >>> experience of thinkpads confirm the probability?
    >>>

    >> I'm having the exact same problem, and that's what I've narrowed
    >> it down to.
    >>

    >1. Try resetting the BIOS.

    see original post about bios

    >2. Remove Dimms, then chase the beep codes to
    >see what they are.

    beep codes say Dimms missing
    Obelisk, Nov 8, 2007
  6. Obelisk

    meerkat Guest

    "Obelisk" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:40:49 GMT, "meerkat" <> wrote:
    >

    >>"Christopher Jahn" <> wrote in message
    >>> Obelisk<> wrote in

    >>> I'm having the exact same problem, and that's what I've narrowed
    >>> it down to.
    >>>

    >>1. Try resetting the BIOS.

    > see original post about bios
    >
    >>2. Remove Dimms, then chase the beep codes to
    >>see what they are.

    > beep codes say Dimms missing

    Hi again, I meant reset the BIOS with the jumper on the
    Mboard, or pull the `silver disc` battery to reset it.
    Then see what happens.
    Never give up, until you have to <g>.
    bw..
    meerkat, Nov 8, 2007
  7. Obelisk

    Obelisk Guest

    "
    I have gone through the checklist in the manual and removed

    Thanks for trying to help but I think the system board is shot :)
    Obelisk, Nov 9, 2007