    be wrong with my lovely thinkpad thanks

    thinkpad r40 went weirdo
    , Jul 5, 2006

  2. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:
    > I have a weird problem with my Thinkpad R40. Quite recently the system
    > started to switch off by itself or freeze (keys strokes do not react).
    > I have seen famous blue screen for a couple of times too. I ran some
    > hardware tests - nothing. I reinstalled the whole system (IBM
    > restore) and ...it happens again. I am thinking virus? well I
    > reinstalled the system so it should kill the virus ... hardware problem
    > ... hmm I did some tests but I heard they sometimes do not detect what
    > you looking for. Has anybody encountered similar problem ? I was
    > thinking also perhaps RAM after 2 yers of great cooperation..said no
    > more ;-). I would appreciate any hints you guys can have about what can
    > be wrong with my lovely thinkpad thanks
    >
    > thinkpad r40 went weirdo

    Reinstalling the OS, and even reformatting the HD, will not get
    rid of all viruses. Your problem could be heat related. Can you
    hear the fan running? Do you operate the computer in a dusty
    environment, do you have pets? Does the computer sit on a solid
    surface when you operate it, so the vent holes are not blocked?
    Try opening some of the covers and blow some compressed air
    through the thing.

    You can see how the R40 can be dissembled, here:
    http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=102215&seqNum=3&rl=1

    But I'm not suggesting you try it - laptops come apart a helluva
    lot easier than they go back together.
    SgtMinor, Jul 5, 2006

  3. Guest

    > Reinstalling the OS, and even reformatting the HD, will not get
    > rid of all viruses.

    you assume the virus might hide in one of those preinstalled
    partitions, RAM or somewhere else ? if wiping out the hdd does not kill
    the virus then we are in bubble ... bubble rubble ... trouble ;-)
    ...what can be done then ?.

    >Your problem could be heat related. Can you hear the fan running?

    it switches off every now and then... i did not notice the patern
    though

    >Do you operate the computer in a dusty environment

    not really..

    > , do you have pets?

    nope ..just girlfriend ;-) with long lovely hair

    > Does the computer sit on a solid surface when you operate it, so the vent holes are not blocked?

    nope - mostly on my bed ....no solid surface

    > Try opening some of the covers and blow some compressed air
    > through the thing.

    will do that

    > You can see how the R40 can be dissembled, here:
    > http://www.quepublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=102215&seqNum=3&rl=1

    thanks a lot I will use that thing to guide me thru the process

    > But I'm not suggesting you try it - laptops come apart a helluva
    > lot easier than they go back together.

    R40 is my lovely toy .I will put some heart and time (and lotsa lube)
    so I hope I will make it .... wish me luck and I will keep you informed
    thanks a lot !!
    , Jul 5, 2006
  4. Guest

    Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
    problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
    poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
    fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
    notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
    me a little was the pop up message
    I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
    message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
    telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
    on some weird spyware soft...

    It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie. whatever
    bug that somehow survived the restore...or hide itself
    on that restore partition inaccesible for user? I was thinking booting
    my PC from regular CD and wiping out all the hard drive
    clean..no partition no restore .. please tell me .. does this sound
    like a good idea - i would lose the preinstalled soft stored on that
    hidden partition ? I seemed to get rid of the problem runing 'msconfig'
    and deactivating the 'messaging' whatever it was ...could the pop up
    message be activated by windows itself ?
    Thanks a lot
    , Jul 6, 2006
  5. SgtMinor Guest

    wrote:

    > Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
    > problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
    > poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
    > fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
    > notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
    > me a little was the pop up message
    > I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
    > message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
    > telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
    > on some weird spyware soft...
    >
    > It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie. whatever
    > bug that somehow survived the restore...or hide itself
    > on that restore partition inaccesible for user? I was thinking booting
    > my PC from regular CD and wiping out all the hard drive
    > clean..no partition no restore .. please tell me .. does this sound
    > like a good idea - i would lose the preinstalled soft stored on that
    > hidden partition ? I seemed to get rid of the problem runing 'msconfig'
    > and deactivating the 'messaging' whatever it was ...could the pop up
    > message be activated by windows itself ?
    > Thanks a lot

    Notebooks usually have air intakes on the bottom and need a solid
    surface to sit on lest those intakes get blocked.

    Windows won't give you any warning about spyware and/or viruses.
    That would be admitting the OS's vulnerabilities, and they're not
    likely to do that. Be sure to get the latest security updates
    from MS however, they're fairly good at fixing the barn door after
    the horse has left.

    Some good utilities to load onto your system, and use regularly, are:

    AVG anti-virus, get the free version: http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

    Malware locators/destroyers:

    SpyBot Search and Destroy, (free - but a contribution is
    appreciated): http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html

    AdAware - get the free version:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    ZoneAlarm firewall - get the free version:
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp

    Maybe others will have more suggestions. Good luck.
    SgtMinor, Jul 6, 2006
  6. geothermal Guest

    wrote:

    > Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
    > problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
    > poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
    > fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
    > notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
    > me a little was the pop up message
    > I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
    > message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
    > telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
    > on some weird spyware soft...
    >
    > It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie.

    It might be good to look through your cookie folder and delete all the
    cookies that you don't know what they are.

    geothermal
    geothermal, Jul 7, 2006
  7. Guest

    ok I did that - no spyware any more thanks ...the freezing.rebooting
    problems persists thought ...I am suspecting hdd problem ..my thinpad
    runs well when I do not touch it .. once I try to unplug some cable/
    move it a little it freezes/restarts .. I ran test of HDD several times
    and nothing was detected.. do you think the only solution is to replace
    the hdd ? perhaps I can mark the bad sectors somehow ..is there some
    testing software that could tell me what exactly is wrong with my hard
    drive ? will I get this info from the event viewer ? thanks a lot !!
    , Jul 11, 2006