    more ;-). I would appreciate any hints you guys can have about what can
    be wrong with my lovely thinkpad thanks
    , Jul 5, 2006

  2. Dan Jones Guest

    Any chance of a heat problem? elevate the laptop for air circulation, just a
    WAG.
    Dan

    Dan Jones, Jul 6, 2006

  3. Guest

    Further to my previous message. I think heat seemed to be the
    problem..I hooked up usb keyboard
    poped out the notebook keyboard, totally exposing the CPU and
    fan..neared my room fan and everything seems to be working fine. The
    notebook fan is working too, switching on/off periodically. What scared
    me a little was the pop up message
    I received right after reinstalling new windows from restore drive. The
    message was saying something about spyware detected on my computer and
    telling me the best way would be to go ahead and shell out some dollars
    on some weird spyware soft...

    It must have been activated by some kind of tracking cookie. whatever
    bug that somehow survived the restore...or hide itself
    on that restore partition inaccesible for user? I was thinking booting
    my PC from regular CD and wiping out all the hard drive
    clean..no partition no restore .. please tell me .. does this sound
    like a good idea - i would lose the preinstalled soft stored on that
    hidden partition ? I seemed to get rid of the problem runing 'msconfig'
    and deactivating the 'messaging' whatever it was ...could the pop up
    message be activated by windows itself ?
    Thanks a lot
    , Jul 6, 2006
  4. - Bobb - Guest

    If you had the spyware BEFORE backing up, then you would still have the
    spyware after RESTORING it.
    You have run spyware adaware/ spybots etc? If so,
    What I would do: Back up your data externally (to CD/DVD ?) , then
    either format/.use your install CD or buy the restore Cd's from IBM to
    get it "back to factory setting"
    http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-46030
    The ones from the factory wipe out everything - including your backups.
    Then restore just your DATA - from the backup device/network.

    - Bobb -, Jul 9, 2006
  5. Guest

    ok I did that - no spyware any more thanks ...the freezing.rebooting
    problems persists thought ...
    I am suspecting hdd problem ..my thinpad runs well when I do not touch
    it .. once I try to unplug some cable/ move it a little it
    freezes/restarts .. I ran test of HDD several times and nothing was
    detected.. do you think the only solution is to replace the hdd ?
    perhaps I can mark the bad sectors somehow ..is there some testing
    software that could tell me what exactly is wrong with my hard drive ?
    will I get this info from the event viewer ? thanks a lot !!
    , Jul 11, 2006
  6. - Bobb - Guest

    Why do you think it's the disk drive ? I would NOT suspect HDD for
    rebooting the CPU. It only happens if you unplug, move something ? CPU
    /memory seating problem maybe - bad ground - maybe. If you do NOT
    wiggle/unplug anything, will it now run all day / all night on its own
    without crashing ? You said when no KB in it ran fine so I would
    suspect something is heating up - not the disk. Does the cpu fan (is
    there one? ) work ? Is it turning ?

    What does the event viewer show ? Is there any info about when it
    crashes ?
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...roddocs/en-us/event_overview_01.mspx?mfr=true

    Have you tried dr watson ?

    Bobb